Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
"We have a tremendous interest in this product and will continue to ramp up our operations to try to meet this demand," said Dennis Dougherty, plant manager at GM's Boxwood Road site.

The question is, when will they hit their target production rate?

How many cars were built last week?

·
Registered
990 Posts
"Almost everybody that has placed deposits is very understanding," said Steven Chizik, sales manager at Nucar Motors in Newark, which began accepting $500 deposits for the Solstice nearly nine months ago and has a dozen customers waiting. "They realize there is no timetable as to when they are going to get a vehicle, but they are going to get the vehicle."

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been in there several times already trying to get my order firmed up. He said I was 1st allotment. I still haven't been able to actually place an order.

Hey RentARacer, are you on his list of 12?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I find this quote to be kinda retarded;
Some analysts said sales may be slower than predicted because GM will not have the Solstice in showrooms for months.

"I don't see the Solstice taking off till April or May of next year," said Guido Vildozo, automotive market analyst at Global Insight in Lexington, Mass.
Um, because in some places dealerships have sold their allotments out till April/May of next year. There aren't going to be any cars in show rooms because they've sold them ALL already. Duh. :willy: How you can declare sales slow when they've already got orders for half a years allotment.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Delaware Online checking in with this...

Pontiac Solstice is behind schedule, but GM isn't panicking
Dealers have been told to expect delivery in September

By LULADEY B. TADESSE / The News Journal
07/30/2005

The summer solstice has come and gone, but there's still no sign of the Pontiac Solstice in dealers' showrooms.

General Motors Corp.'s much-hyped roadster, assembled near Newport, splashed across headlines and TV screens this spring and created a buzz for what GM said would be its summer debut.

Pontiac dealers expected to be selling the car by now.

"What they are telling us now is to look for it in September and October," said Frank Ursomarso Sr., president of Union Park Automotive Group in Wilmington. "This causes problems because everybody is waiting for their car."

The Boxwood Road GM plant is expected to finally start shipping the first 1,000 Solstices next week. Those cars were ordered in 41 minutes following the cars' appearance on the TV show "The Apprentice" in mid-April.

But most dealers will miss the peak convertible-selling season in summer.

Quality control issues related to the roof of the Solstice have delayed release of the vehicle, industry experts said. Company officials would not elaborate, except to say it is not unusual to have such issues with a new product. They said the problems have been resolved.

"There are always quality issues when you launch a new product," Jim Hopson, spokesman for Pontiac, said.

Hopson insisted GM has not missed its target release date for the Solstice. "We have said the vehicle would be available in the summer of 2005. We are starting to ship to dealers in the summer of 2005," he said.

Some analysts said sales may be slower than predicted because GM will not have the Solstice in showrooms for months.

"I don't see the Solstice taking off till April or May of next year," said Guido Vildozo, automotive market analyst at Global Insight in Lexington, Mass.

Vildozo is forecasting GM will sell about 4,000 Solstices this year. So far the company has received nearly 10,000 orders. Projected production for the two-seater next year is about 20,000.

Vildozo and other analysts are optimistic about the Solstice beyond this summer. Its sharp looks, affordability and quality are expected to drive sales and traffic into Pontiac showrooms.

"It's going to be a fairly niche vehicle, not everybody is going to be in the market for that, but they will want to get a look at it in the dealership," said Mike Wall, analyst at CSM Worldwide, an automotive forecast firm in Grand Rapids, Mich.

The Solstice is being built exclusively in Delaware. It is built on the new Kappa platform for rear-wheel-drive vehicles. GM plans to use the platform for niche, low-volume vehicles including the Saturn Sky, a sports car due next spring, and an Opel roadster for export to Europe, slotted for the 2007 model year.

The backlog in orders is expected to keep the Newport plant busy. The plant is currently operating two shifts.

"We have a tremendous interest in this product and will continue to ramp up our operations to try to meet this demand," said Dennis Dougherty, plant manager at GM's Boxwood Road site.

Dealers are hoping car enthusiasts excited about owning the new Solstice won't be deterred by cooler temperatures this fall. Some of them already have caught a glimpse of the Solstice on test drives by factory employees and dealers.

"Almost everybody that has placed deposits is very understanding," said Steven Chizik, sales manager at Nucar Motors in Newark, which began accepting $500 deposits for the Solstice nearly nine months ago and has a dozen customers waiting. "They realize there is no timetable as to when they are going to get a vehicle, but they are going to get the vehicle."
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050730/BUSINESS/507300345/1003

·
Registered
905 Posts
Slicer said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I've been in there several times already trying to get my order firmed up. He said I was 1st allotment. I still haven't been able to actually place an order.

Hey RentARacer, are you on his list of 12?
You should definitely check up on that, about 2 weeks ago my dealer called and said that GM/Pontiac sent an email saying to get their 1st allocation (3 cars) into the system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They're ready to ship!!!!

Like I said a few days ago, I was planning to go to the plant this weekend and give a full report.. Well I have been to the mountain top and I did saw many Solstices of all colors being moved to the parking lot next to the rail siding.
I spoke to the young guys moving the cars and they said they were moving the cars that were being shipped by rail to the rear parking lot. I also saw probably another four hundred cars than I saw two weeks ago. All of them were facing away from the plant(A signal that they are not returning!!!). I could see a little over a thousand cars. I also saw four car carriers lined up ready for local delivery. From what I saw, my guess is that everyone who has been told their car is being shipped will have them in a week or two. I would expect serious movement to begin right after the Holiday. I also spoke to the guys, told them I ordered a red one and they said these cars are great to drive even if it's only from one parking lot to another. Keep the faith!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Patience....

DeaconEd said:
Like I said a few days ago, I was planning to go to the plant this weekend and give a full report.. Well I have been to the mountain top and I did saw many Solstices of all colors being moved to the parking lot next to the rail siding.
I spoke to the young guys moving the cars and they said they were moving the cars that were being shipped by rail to the rear parking lot. I also saw probably another four hundred cars than I saw two weeks ago. All of them were facing away from the plant(A signal that they are not returning!!!). I could see a little over a thousand cars. I also saw four car carriers lined up ready for local delivery. From what I saw, my guess is that everyone who has been told their car is being shipped will have them in a week or two. I would expect serious movement to begin right after the Holiday. I also spoke to the guys, told them I ordered a red one and they said these cars are great to drive even if it's only from one parking lot to another. Keep the faith!!
Ok, I've never complained......but I must vent just a little......How many times have we heard "READY TO SHIP".......
"JUST DO IT"....oh forgot, that's NIKE!....... :willy:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
brentil said:
I find this quote to be kinda retarded;

Um, because in some places dealerships have sold their allotments out till April/May of next year. There aren't going to be any cars in show rooms because they've sold them ALL already. Duh. :willy: How you can declare sales slow when they've already got orders for half a years allotment.
:agree: I'm sure GM wishes all their sales were this slow.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Call the National Guard! Tell them we have about a thousand evacuees that need to get out of Boxwood! Oh, wait...that would just delay deliveries...sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts