Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying Pontiac Solstice or a Chevy Avalanche. The Avalanche comes in rear wheel drive like the Solstice with some models. The Avalanche probably has a bit more towing capacity and cargo space but can't be sure since specs haven't been released yet on Solstice. Both vehicles probably come in about same price after rebates & incentives for the Avalanche. Although, I think the Solstice will get better mileage. Girlfriend already has a convertible Sebring. I have a prism. Tough choice.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Get both... the Solstice should easily fit in the bed of the Avalanche as long as you keep the midgate down! :glol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
tennis4789 said:
I'm considering buying Pontiac Solstice or a Chevy Avalanche. The Avalanche comes in rear wheel drive like the Solstice with some models. The Avalanche probably has a bit more towing capacity and cargo space but can't be sure since specs haven't been released yet on Solstice. Both vehicles probably come in about same price after rebates & incentives for the Avalanche. Although, I think the Solstice will get better mileage. Girlfriend already has a convertible Sebring. I have a prism. Tough choice.
I can't decide wether or not your are serious, or actually being sarcastic... :willy:

The Solstice is RWD yes, but seats 2, the avalanche 5, and will have small % of the total cargo capacity of the Avalanche. These are 2 completely different vehicles, with different prices, so consider your needs first!!!

An avalanche will not come in the same price with incentives and rebates as a Solstice. If you know one then show me!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
teekay said:
I can't decide wether or not your are serious, or actually being sarcastic... :willy:

The Solstice is RWD yes, but seats 2, the avalanche 5, and will have 1% of the total cargo and towing capacity of the Avalanche. These are 2 completely different vehicles, with different prices, so consider your needs first!!!

An avalanche will not come in the same price with incentives and rebates as a Solstice. If you know one then show me!!!
Was being a bit humorous. But, I am thinking about Avalanche or Solstice. I'm 33 with no kids so if I don't go with a 2 seat sports car and end up with some kids it might be 20 years or so before I get the chance. Right now I see looking at Edmunds.com a 2005 Avalanche stripped down -$1032 in options (soft cargo cover and no body hardware) after -$3500 rebate for $26,137 (might be able to get into 3% holdback another -$780). Last August saw the same truck I think for -$4500 in rebate plus an additional -$1500 owner loyalty/private offer or something like that. That would put it at $23,500. So in my mind that puts a stripped down Avalanche and a first year Solstice at about the same price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tennis4789 said:
Was being a bit humorous. But, I am thinking about Avalanche or Solstice. I'm 33 with no kids so if I don't go with a 2 seat sports car and end up with some kids it might be 20 years or so before I get the chance. Right now I see looking at Edmunds.com a 2005 Avalanche stripped down -$1032 in options (soft cargo cover and no body hardware) after -$3500 rebate for $26,137 (might be able to get into 3% holdback another -$780). Last August saw the same truck I think for -$4500 in rebate plus an additional -$1500 owner loyalty/private offer or something like that. That would put it at $23,500. So in my mind that puts a stripped down Avalanche and a first year Solstice at about the same price.

Sounds like somekind of cooke up solution to prevent midlife crisis in the future.. lol. Rebates you mention might have been ones on 2004's from the end of the year push... Current rebates are only 1000 on the lanche. If you can get more yourself then more power to you. Actualy the WBH option seems more popular then the extra cladding feature proved not popular anymore.

Here's an idea! Go for both! Get the Solstice when it comes out, then trade it for the Avalance (resale is going to be excellent) before the kid comes around. Then you can put the 20" wheel option on the lanche, and you'd be one of the coolest dads around. Or you can get the Lanch now, and maybe you can get your Girlfriend to trade in the Chrysler and keep both GM's in your stables. Gosh I wish I had an excuse like that to get both!

·
5,600 Posts
Wow, that is a dramatic extreme between vehicles. Maybe you just need a convertible Avalanche that gets 30mpg and holds a 0.90 on the skid pad. :jester:

I'd bet there is 18 vertical inches difference in the Center of Gravity alone.

·
Registered
753 Posts
my buddy reps for a custom conversion company. i took him to the airport in his custom avalanche demonstrator. i took it to work and back that day ( 1 hour one way, mostly interstate). it was boring. i played with the radio and watched the gas gauge fall from 1/2 to 1/8 . the guys at work were impressed. it is a 'look at me' truck, but about as much fun to drive as a buick park avenue.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
jimbo said:
Wow, that is a dramatic extreme between vehicles. Maybe you just need a convertible Avalanche that gets 30mpg and holds a 0.90 on the skid pad. :jester:

I'd bet there is 18 vertical inches difference in the Center of Gravity alone.
If he does it right, just think of the savings on garage space. Park the Solstice UNDER the truck. :lol: Seriously, (or at least half) if you wait till post-kids to get the Avalance you'll end up with the Silverado or Tahoe. If you wait to get the Sol, it just won't happen. Braces, college, weddings, ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
teekay said:
Sounds like somekind of cooke up solution to prevent midlife crisis in the future.. lol. Rebates you mention might have been ones on 2004's from the end of the year push... Current rebates are only 1000 on the lanche. If you can get more yourself then more power to you. Actualy the WBH option seems more popular then the extra cladding feature proved not popular anymore.

Here's an idea! Go for both! Get the Solstice when it comes out, then trade it for the Avalance (resale is going to be excellent) before the kid comes around. Then you can put the 20" wheel option on the lanche, and you'd be one of the coolest dads around. Or you can get the Lanch now, and maybe you can get your Girlfriend to trade in the Chrysler and keep both GM's in your stables. Gosh I wish I had an excuse like that to get both!
I hope I'm not midlife at 33 but you never know! ;)

The rebate I'm seeing for central IL is $3500 on Edmunds.com and on the gm website. I'm waiting til I have the $3500 on my gm card (old card) so that should be around June - August. August seems to be a good rebate month.

Her Sebring is not too bad to drive. Has more power than I'm used to with my prizm and the power top is kind of nice, but the handling isn't great. My prizm handles better. The Sebring is pretty practical though for roadtrips with enough space to take a decently long trip.

Yeah I'm not sure why I would want all the plastic hardware pieces on the truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts