Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched around but haven't seen a thread linked to my issue. I'm having a "crack" or "pop" noise under hard acceleration from the convertible top when it's up. It sounds similar to a plastic hanger snapping, can't really come up with anything better than that lol. This happens during hard gear changes above 4k when the car pauses for a moment. I think it's coming form the bendy beam in the convertible top closest to the back (the one you can push down on and gives).

I don't know if it's related but my top bunches up on the drivers side after I put the top up and go to lock the pins in place. It bunches just on the drivers side, around mid window and makes it a little difficult to lock down. Maybe this has something to do with the snapping noise as it might be a bad brace?

Anyone have this issue? Sounds like something may be fractured... I'm hoping I don't need to replace the entire top :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had the same sound since day one. After reading about all the solutions on the forum I came up with my own. I just took some black electrical tape and wrapped the pin a few times on the passenger side of the targa top. This seemed to take all play out of the roof when secured and I now have a silent roof. Five minute fix for something that's been driving me nuts for years. Won't hurt for you to try it.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Make sure the handle isnt moving on acceleration.

Watch it. Mine came loose and drove me nuts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Zensilby,

Hopefully you are able to resolve your concern. If you would like for us to reach out to your GM dealership, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Erica Tiffany
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
it's definitely the latch handle hitting the housing. I got some stick on felt pads and stuck them on the housing where the handle was hitting it until I had the chance to fix it right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help gang. The Pop noise definitely was the handle hitting the housing. I used that newer heavy duty plastic velcro on it and now it pops in and stays nice and firm.

The bunch is still giving me issues, I checked the thread showing the common problem but the tab is smooth and new, and my bunching tends to happen pre-contact. If I pull it up slow and guide it it's fine, so I'm just gonna stay with slowing down my top opening/closing.

Now that I got those things taken care of, I developed a squeak :/
I'll be putting up a fresh post for it, yikes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts