Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ah the famed new GM pimple, featured on all new GM cars. Rather an afterthought for the placement on the Solstice. And they even proved it because it was first placed on the door during pre-production, but then they changed their minds and put it on the fender of the production cars.

These are all the necessary ingredients. Before everybody gets the wrong idea, as most do on this forum when the issue of 'badge removal' comes along, I'm not doing this because I don't want to be associated with GM. I'm removing the chicklet because it's so out of place and it ruins the sweetness of this car's clean lines.

The process took about 30 minutes for one side, but I leisurely took my time so it CAN be done faster. Start with the hair dryer... apply direct heat to the badge for 3-5 minutes for easy results.

Then, take your dental floss and put it at the top of the badge. I prefer towards the edge of the badge rather than near the paint as I read somewhere on the forum that someone lightly scratched the paint surface with the floss. Pull gently downward and begin a tugging back and forth motion.

Once you get about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down you can stop sawwing and then just pull the badge off. There will still be adhesive on the car due to sawing at the badges edge.

No matter, it can easily be delt with by picking/scraping at it with a fingernail. This is what took me the most time because I was being cautious not to mar the paint. Just pick the adhesive away from the paint until it's all gone.

Once you have all the black adhesive off there will still be a slight sticky residue. This is when you break out the WD40 (I guarantee it is safe on your paint!) or if you prefer something like 'Goo Gone' or 'Goof Off' that will work too. Again I took my time here with a soft auto quality towel and generous amounts of WD40 with lots of rubbing to get the residue off. You may find it easier to spray the WD40 and then scrub at it with your fingertips in the begining, that is okay as well.

Voilà! Two chicklets in hand and a smooth fender to boot. No more snagging the washmitt on unnecessary badging! Toss those suckers in the drawer, they'll surely be worth something later. :rolleyes: Doesn't it just look much cleaner with that pimple gone?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Very nice :thumbs: You did a great job of explaining the entire process and it looks great.

·
5,600 Posts
dori-san said:
I'm not doing this because I don't want to be associated with GM. I'm removing the chicklet because it's so out of place and it ruins the sweetness of this car's clean lines.
:agree: completely. GM took the easy way out. I thought it was idiotic to add this goofy, unsophisticated, obnoxious square pimple on the sides of our cars. If GM wants a corporate ID, why can't they redesign their division logos to incorporate a standardized GM logo in it. Place the GM letters in a US flag just above the top of the V portion of the Pontiac arrow head. Do the same thing for the Chevy Bowtie. Same of the Cadillac crest. That way, each division would have a unique badge, but they would all include the GM letters on a US flag, for corporate identity. But this idiotic afterthought has to go!

Your car looks sooooo much better without it.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
jimbo said:
:agree: completely. GM took the easy way out. I thought it was idiotic to add this goofy, unsophisticated, obnoxious square pimple on the sides of our cars. If GM wants a corporate ID, why can't they redesign their division logos to incorporate a standardized GM logo in it. Place the GM letters in a US flag just above the top of the V portion of the Pontiac arrow head. Do the same thing for the Chevy Bowtie. Same of the Cadillac crest. That way, each division would have a unique badge, but they would all include the GM letters on a US flag, for corporate identity. But this idiotic afterthought has to go!

Your car looks sooooo much better without it.
I don't like that idea either. Stock holders should know all these cars are GM. Customers should not. It's stupid and a complete waste of money and resources.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I had to go back and re-read post for the procedure because I was too enamored (sp??) with that BEAUTIFUL RED CAR!! ;)

Thanks Dori-san for the great info.... (any insight to the "-san" Japanese style name). Please PM if that horse has been beat before :^)

·
Registered
670 Posts
A little different

I looked at the badges and saw that the tape under them is very thick. I put a piece of duct tape under the bottom edge on the car and was able to pull them off with just my fingernails. Most of the tape came off and the rest I got with Goof-off. What was funny is that the tape on the badges has an arrow cut in it so that the line person puts it on right side up. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
299 Posts
How long did you have the car before removing the badge? I heard something about paint curing issues back in the spring. Keep us up-to-date of any fading or discoloration if it occurs. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
4 days

We had the car four days before Wilma - I took it to my shop for safety and during Wilma put three coats of Zaino, removered GM logo and painted calipers. I think we are going to remove "Pontiac" and "Solstice" emblems also, we have been discussing it. :cool:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
How are you ever going to remember what corporate giant made your car?? And how are others supposed to get warm fuzzy feelings for GM if you take those badges away?? I don't think you've thought of all the dire consequences of you rash actions. Just a corporate terrorist with a hair dryer! :willy:

Nice tutorial! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
AeroDave said:
How are you ever going to remember what corporate giant made your car?? And how are others supposed to get warm fuzzy feelings for GM if you take those badges away?? I don't think you've thought of all the dire consequences of you rash actions. Just a corporate terrorist with a hair dryer! :willy:

Nice tutorial! :thumbs:
Probably added $100 to the price of the car, just by taking them off. ;)

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.