Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I am one of those computer dummies. I enjoy reading all the comments, but can't seem to find the proceedure for posting. Most site have an obvious "post a message" on the page. I'm learning, so be patient with me. I didn't make the first 1000 units but am expecting to get one right afterwards. I would love a detachable hard top option, so I contacted a custom fiberglass builder that tells me this is not a problem. If anyone else is interested, let me know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
solstindy said:
I guess I am one of those computer dummies. I enjoy reading all the comments, but can't seem to find the proceedure for posting. Most site have an obvious "post a message" on the page. I'm learning, so be patient with me. I didn't make the first 1000 units but am expecting to get one right afterwards. I would love a detachable hard top option, so I contacted a custom fiberglass builder that tells me this is not a problem. If anyone else is interested, let me know.
I'm interested

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Looks like you figured out posting a new thread just fine. :thumbs:
Moving to Technical section.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I would be interested in finding out more about it. I'm particularly interested in a coupe-style hardtop that would replace the top and trunk lid and make it look like the pic in the thread below. There was quite a bit of discussion in that thread about a coupe hardtop conversion and I'd like to see it materialize in to something real.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2689

If you're just wanting a regular hardtop that replaces only the top, I might be more temted to wait for the factory option to come out. That seems to be one of the requirements for one of the racing circuits, so it's rumored that a hardtop will be available in the near future.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
SlySol said:
I would be interested in finding out more about it. I'm particularly interested in a coupe-style hardtop that would replace the top and trunk lid and make it look like the pic in the thread below. There was quite a bit of discussion in that thread about a coupe hardtop conversion and I'd like to see it materialize in to something real.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2689

If you're just wanting a regular hardtop that replaces only the top, I might be more temted to wait for the factory option to come out. That seems to be one of the requirements for one of the racing circuits, so it's rumored that a hardtop will be available in the near future.
Seems like so long ago. That was a great thread. If only it could come true. :yesnod:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm interested. Would love to have for winter traveling.

·
Registered
352 Posts
A convertible Solstice with a removable hardtop would make getting into the trunk with the hardtop in place...........an impossiblity?

·
Registered
479 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
A convertible Solstice with a removable hardtop would make getting into the trunk with the hardtop in place...........an impossiblity?
Not much room in that trunk, do you think you would fit? ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
stang said:
Seems like so long ago. That was a great thread. If only it could come true. :yesnod:

I remember reading that thread before. I've just finished reviewing it again. I thought then, as I think now, that your concept was spot on target. As you will recall someone mentioned a targa top option and there was discussion about wind turbulence(sp?). I think a T top might be worth thinking about. But that is just an option to consider, a modification if you will. Your basic premise was correct: anchor the top down at the hinge of the trunk, a hatch window at the rear, etc.

I guess at this point we wait and see what GM offers, and also Kappasphere -- Hey, Lillie, and the guys at Kappasphere, go to the referenced thread and check out Stangs pics. I think a number of people would sign up for that.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm also interested in a hard top. Let me know if you have any more info :)

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
You usually store the hard top in the garage with most convertibles, esp. the lower costing ones. You would need to buy a MB, Lexus, or another high end hard top to get one to store in the trunk. I do not know what you would do with it on trips, but I believe the S2K is done that way ... so you might ask one of their owners. Even the lower end hard tops are going to cost more than most Sol owners wil want to pay. JMHO

I think a "targa" top on the Sol could be a happy medium, between the coupe and hard top covertible.

·
Registered
352 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
You usually store the hard top in the garage with most convertibles, esp. the lower costing ones. You would need to buy a MB, Lexus, or another high end hard top to get one to store in the trunk. I do not know what you would do with it on trips, but I believe the S2K is done that way ... so you might ask one of their owners. Even the lower end hard tops are going to cost more than most Sol owners wil want to pay. or better yet Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsZ06

Not much room in that trunk, do you think you would fitJMHO

I think a "targa" top on the Sol could be a happy medium, between the coupe and hard top covertible.
:lol:

If someone made an aftermarket hard top removable roof....which I would definitely like for the winters etc.....How could a person open the trunk with the hardtop removable roof on the car?

I don't see how you could open the rearward facing trunk? (with the hardtop in place?)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
I don't see how you could open the rearward facing trunk? (with the hardtop in place?)
Well, if you go with the "coupe conversion" hardtop, there would be a rear glass hatch that would become the new access point and allow you to get to your newly discovererd trunk space.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
JBsZ06 said:
:lol:

If someone made an aftermarket hard top removable roof....which I would definitely like for the winters etc.....How could a person open the trunk with the hardtop removable roof on the car?

I was not speaking of after market ... I know for sure that the Lexus and MB offer hard top convertibles. The trunk opens the same and the roof folds into it. The S2K offers a rolling stand to place their removable top on, so it does not go in the trunk and that is why it is cheaper.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thanks guys..

I was hoping for a hardtop that convertible solstice owners could put on the convertible car for the winter and still open the trunk (with the hardtop on)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts