Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Get the normal Solstice now or wait for the HiPo version?

• This has not changed my stance at all about getting a Solstice.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I've cancelled my pre-order, and I'm waiting.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I haven't pre-ordered but I'll still try to get a normal Solstice.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I haven't pre-ordered but now I'm going to wait for the HiPo Solstice.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Undecided (explain why below).

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From this thread over here;
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497&page=1&pp=15
We've discovered there's a Solstice running around with dual exhaust and an engine producing at least 200HP more then likely. From the images there appears to be a fairly large intercooler (an intercooler about 3x the size of the ION RL/Cobalt SS).

With this info available now has this made you change your stance on what you're doing about pre-ordering or getting a Solstice?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
At this point in time I selected undecided because at first I thought I had to have a Solstice as sson as possible, and am still in the running for 1/1000. I do think that if I don't get early I may just wait for the high performance version (assuming it happens. :) :( :) ) If it happens, I always want largest hp available.

·
Registered
268 Posts
as long as it dont just give small gains or it is realey expencive. i will wait or try and lease a normal one then get a performance one after my lease.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
achieftain said:
At this point in time I selected undecided because at first I thought I had to have a Solstice as sson as possible, and am still in the running for 1/1000. I do think that if I don't get early I may just wait for the high performance version (assuming it happens. :) :( :) ) If it happens, I always want largest hp available.
Yeah, I've been dbating that as well too. If I end up not getting one of the first 1000 then that means I'm going to the end of a 15 person waiting list already. At that point I might just cancel and wait. Because right now I can afford a normal Solstice, but if the HiPo came out now I couldn't. However in 6 months I could hopefully save up that much money.

·
Registered
178 Posts
brentil said:
We've discovered there's a Solstice running around with dual exhaust and an engine producing at least 200HP more then likely. From the images there appears to be a fairly large intercooler (an intercooler about 3x the size of the ION RL/Cobalt SS).
I've looked at that picture a dozen of times. Where you you see the intercooler? Is it the triangular openings next to the grill?

I admit that I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, so my appologies if this is a really dumb question.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
If that is intercooler then what is the black (unretouched) section in upper portion that I've circled that the other car does not have?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
achieftain said:
If that is intercooler then what is the black (unretouched) section in upper portion that I've circled that the other car does not have?
There might be various intercooler setups. Since these are test cars they might be trying out different designs. Or some of them might be Solstice GXP type cars, and others might be Solsti with a GM Performance Parts setup on them. That might also explain the 200HP value. A boosted 10.4:1 CR engine isn't going to go much higher using a OEM kit. 200HP might be what they have determined is a safe value to boost to. That's of course a giant IF they're making a kit.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not at all. It's the car I've wanted all along. I might get mine as a Sky though, unless they end up asking 30K for it. If so I will get a Solstice.

·
4,592 Posts
for those not attending today's meetings, please advice:

do we have any speculation on when it will be available? That makes a difference. Doubt it, but 1 year vs 3 years makes a difference to some of us.

Are we talking turbo?

thx

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Cars are like computers, the longer you wait the faster they get. The problem is that the longer you wait before you get one, the less you have an opportunity to enjoy what they can do for you. There will always be a faster, newer model, I opt for getting one as soon as possible and enjoying it now as compared to just watching everyone else drive theirs past me in my Miata. If I want more speed I'm certain I can add the same type of bolt-ons that I have on my Miata to increase speed.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Miata Man said:
Cars are like computers, the longer you wait the faster they get. The problem is that the longer you wait before you get one, the less you have an opportunity to enjoy what they can do for you. There will always be a faster, newer model, I opt for getting one as soon as possible and enjoying it now as compared to just watching everyone else drive theirs past me in my Miata. If I want more speed I'm certain I can add the same type of bolt-ons that I have on my Miata to increase speed.
Difference between cars and computers, you can still buy last years fastest computer today, but at half the price. Give me a brand new 2006 Solstice in 2007 for 10k.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I have been kicking around the idea of waiting for the higher output car all along, as long as I was fairly confident it wouldn't be too long before they come out with it. The podcast only gives me more confidence that it won't be a very long wait for it.

If I get the car as it will be this summer, it might be late summer or fall before I get one anyway. I do not plan on pre-ording a Solstice either way as I want to be able to really go over it before making a final purchase decision. Since there will be a high initial demand, and lower northeast supply (possibly with gouging), I am likely to have to wait anyway.

If I have to wait too long where I am pushing into the winter season, and there will be a HO car the next spring to summer, I might as well wait anyway since the Sol would just sit in my garage unused in winter.

Of course, if my local dealer has a car I like come July on his lot, and will sell without gouging, I might just buy it anyway. I'd like the added power, but I can have plenty of fun with the 177 HP engine too.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I will still try for one of the first 1000, if not, an early retail. Frankly I am not looking for world beating performance or I wouldn't be considering the Solstice in the first place. 0-60 in 7.4 sec is still reasonably quick. As long as it's fun to drive, handles great, and doesn't leak rain through the top seams like a MONSOON, than I'll be just fine. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I was never in the market for higher HP model so I'm in at 177. Agree that with the new of the test mule pictures and the podcast, that those who want higher HP it should only be a year away which isn't bad at all.

PAS22 said:
0-60 in 7.4 sec is still reasonably quick.
7.2 ;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mceb said:
I was never in the market for higher HP model so I'm in at 177. Agree that with the new of the test mule pictures and the podcast, that those who want higher HP it should only be a year away which isn't bad at all.

7.2 ;)
hehehe if you believe the podcast it's 5.4s. Plus 1G cornering. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't know. I'm still undecided. I would really love to have one of the first 1000, but right now I'm driving a 1999 Pontiac Firehawk Trans Am. It has a pre-modified HP rating of 330HP. That's a lot of horsepower. Almost twice as much as the Solstice. I know that the solstice weighs much less then the Firehawk, but still. It's a hard pill to swallow. Of course the question remains, "How much is too much power"?

If I don't get in on the first 1000 though I will probably wait until I can get a performance Solstice.

You know, the Solstice GT. :willy:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The rumors of a high performance version really doesn't change my stance much. If a high HP version were available, I would probably get it depending on price and whether or not they are going to muck up the design of the car with a bunch of tacked on body clading. This is one of the things that turns me off about the MSM. I much prefer the clean look of the standard Miata. It would really suck if they felt compelled to add ground effects and a spoiler so it really says "performance", and you had to have this stuff just to get the better motor.

It would also matter to me if it was a turbo or supercharger. I really don't care for the turbos I've driven, they always remind me of a carburator with a bad excellerator pump or like something is stuck in the engine, and then frees up when you step in the gas.

Bottom line for me is, I'm happy enough with the 177hp. I'm really waiting to see how the top and trunk shakes out, and now maybe I'll wait for the hardtop and better colors. Those are things I'll be waiting for, not so much a hipo engine.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fortimir said:
How much do hardtops usually go for... like what would go on the Solstice.
The Miata top is $1500 I believe. The MR2 you have to import from Japan and ends up ebign over $2500. Not sure how much teh S2000 is.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts