Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,438 Posts
In the case of the coils we (shortly after my post) had another forum member have a similar experience.
Rebranding stuff made in China as your own is a practice that goes waay back and is relatively commonplace here in the US.
However to KGs overall point, it is a whole nother level to do that with a top notch, well known manufacturer’s product and then double down and claim they are GM made components. Both companies spend a ton of money in regulatory approval processes in developing their products and in Cloyes case becoming an OEM approved vendor for a giant like the GM name. Needless to say they have a lot invested in their reputations.
Neither would take kindly to what OTTP is doing.
At the very least, between the two I can guarantee Cloyes will be looking into this.

pS> I reread Redone’s post and though sarcasm can be difficult sometimes to pick up in the written word, it sure read that way to me. Then again I am sarcastic by nature so maybe I am just reading into it.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,136 Posts
GM makes very little any longer, they mostly buy from other manufactures and assemble. so just who is "re boxing/re branding" may not be all it seems to be. but for sure that company that KG delt with screwed the pooch just by the way they treated him. they should of either said we sent the rong kit, or gm's parts are made by Cloyes and you paid for the name. but they didnt. when major manufactures have issues they dont sort them out, they have somebody else like cloyes do it. cloyes,melling,scat crankshafts, edelbrock ,mahle,SK, TRW and many many more are all OE manufactures.as well that service the after market, and many started in the after market. and yes some have parts made in china. the issue hear is if everything was not in GM branded bags& boxes KG got screwed on price and service, but not quality. yes he should eb pissed as I would, and yes he needs to do something about it and be compensated. sadley there are many companys that do this kind of stuff selling the same parts with different names/brands for different price points.and then there is the counterfit companys. I contacted the dealer I got my new crank bolt from this week as the logos on the GM bag do not look right. they are a gm dealer, and it is the GM part. and since it is for our cars who knows where it came from. big ticket items usualy have the hologram on them, but the small stuff dont. and perhaps the logo on my package was for mexican market.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
there are some china companys selling cloyes on flebay... not really cloyes, but the header discription says cloyes and has the part number. I contacted one of them. they assured me it was china parts and not cloyes. they said they would change the adds and take cloyes out of it. they were looking at it like a interchange... a very deceptive interchange. always read the full description to see the brand name. but that aint no guarantee.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Regardless of who makes the parts for GM it didn't have a GM sticker on it. So even if Cloyes did make it it doesn't matter because there was no GM sticker on it. There are many times where a company makes a part for a manufacturer and then alters that part in some way and then sells it as aftermarket. So A GM labeled part may not necessarily be the same as an aftermarket part where both parts are actually made by the same manufacturer.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I reread Redone’s post and though sarcasm can be difficult sometimes to pick up in the written word, it sure read that way to me.
I thought you were referring to my post. Which is what you quoted. I get you now. Yeah, his post looked like sarcasm but I didn't pick up on it first time around. Thanks

·
Administrator
11,005 Posts
Let's try to stay at least partly on the topic of the vendor.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
yes KG yours correct, but not always are the parts changed in some way. and many times the aftermarket gets the upgrades first. this is all the seller putting the screws to you&your bank account for no good reason at all. yes they got caught doing it, thats where they screwed the pooch by not making it right and explaining & refunding.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts