1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
It looks like you're missing part of the timing guide between the camshaft gears. #224

:dunno:

I agree with DaveOC. But I am more definitive in that it IS a guide. Hate to tell you, but it is time to pull the front cover and replace all of the guides.

My timing was jumping all over the place and causing severe issues with the entire engine including destroying my turbo. The background on this is simple. I planned to do a few pulls with the existing turbo and bump up the pressure and see what numbers I could get from the stock build. My intention was just to have a before/after. However, when we put it on the dyno, air-flow, exhaust...all the numbers you pay attention to were all over the board at different times during a pull. Here is where things got interesting. I drove the car on a long drive with the Kappa group in Denver. During that drive, my exhaust became a plume of white smoke throughout my drive home. So bad in fact, it was embarrassing. Pulled the turbo and it was toast. Replace turbo.

After replacement of the turbo and a new "custom" intake, larger turbo, custom exhaust and charge pipes...etc., the engine would vibrate wildly at 2500 RPMs. At 5500 RPMs, the stick (shifter) would vibrate bad enough I would want to let go. It was so bad in fact, that the new turbo broke out of the new custom exhaust manifold.

So, off to the local wrench I trust. I advised what was happening and thoughts of the balance shafts being broken. He pulled down the front to look at the guides. I wish I still had the pic. All of the guides were broken at least in part if not totally and sitting at the bottom of the cover.

Why did they make these in a polymer?? Keeping the local dealers in business? May be.

While the wrench was in there, I asked to validate the balance shafts. They were fine. This told me that the chain was being rolled out (centrifugal force) and making the time move. The ECU would try to compensate but with the timing jumping all over because of the centrifugal force, the ECU couldn't keep up and we get and engine that is a mover and a shaker. THIS is what destroyed my original turbo. So, replaced all the guides and now the engine runs smooth as the day it rolled off the show-room. I guess I can't say that exactly since I wasn't the one to drive it out of the show-room. But hey, technicalities.

Put it back on the dyno and while I am still working towards 400HP to the wheels, we are nearing 300HP and about 380lbf (foot pounds of torque). That alone makes this car a beast even more than before. I'm taking my time to get there so I don't tear up the engine even thought a long block is only $2,000 shipped.

Since you're in it already, I would knuckle down and just do it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
And while you're at it, might as well do the WP. Since you're around that mileage anyway, unless you've done it already.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Without the guide, that engine is a ticking time bomb. Yes, pull off the front cover and change all the guides. Changing the water pump while you are in there is a good idea as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill probably have to take it somewhere, I have never messed with timing so I dont want to mess anything up. Off to the mechanic! Thank you everyone!

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Odd, normally ecotec timing components last well beyond 100K miles.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Odd, normally ecotec timing components last well beyond 100K miles.
In the '07 and early '08 cars, the guides were made of a much weaker composite material (IMSMC it's been discussed here). As a matter of fact a few have reported that the guides wore completely through in less then 80k. Those that are pushing their tune to the limit in these cars have also reported shorter life spans of the guides.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Lets recall these timing guides have been around since 2002.

The vast, vast majority have lasted well beyond 100k miles.

Can't dispute the facts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your missing the whole upper part of the chain guide between the cam sprockets. That chain has been flopping around for a while.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woah! I didnt even realise that. I think i am missing parts under the actual timing cover aswell though because i dont think the chain is supposed to have that much play...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does the chain absolutely have to be pulled to replace the guides or is there a way around it?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
It's not that hard.

You gotta pull it man.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went ahead and ordered the Timing chain, tensioner, all 3 guides for the chain, the balance shaft chain, and all 3 guides, a new serpentine belt and waterpump. Installing tomorrow! Oh and a new crankshaft pulley bolt..

Reactions: blackbirdracing

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*UPDATE* According to the shop tackling this timing job, it requires a few GM specialty tools. They tried working on it yesterday but the dealership wasnt open, this marks day 3 of no Sol :/

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
It needs no special tools.

Be afraid of this shop

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe you only need the water pump tool if you are not taking the front cover off. It is to hold the chain and sprocket in place while you remove the pump from the backside.

Reactions: blackbirdracing
1 - 20 of 24 Posts