Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to switch from the GMPP tune to a Trifecta or Wester's tune?

If you can, does anyone think it's would make sense or be worth it?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Yes you can...

Gm doesn't lock our tunes like they do on the Cavaliers.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's good for passing smog. I think DDM also offers switchable tunes.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I've has 3 or 4 different tunes on my 2.4. Started with Werks when I first started modding, then DDM Stage 2, then DDM stage 3, then finally got around to calling Lyndon. Glad I did, as it has never run so well. Westers is absoultely the cats meow.

Depending on where you are, he may have a remote agent who can data log and install his brilliant tunes. I was lucky to have this and went through several iterations to get the sweetest results possible.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Sure - and I think more than a few people did that so they could run the GMPP when they took the car in for warranty service, and then hit a button and switch to the Trifecta when they left.

As warranty will run out on even the last cars this year, there is less point in going that way - may as well just go to the Trifecta right off the bat.

As for other than Trifecta, I don't think anyone else has the ability to switch with a dash switch. Correct me if I am wrong, but I beleive that you have to load the tune again to switch to Westers etc.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
What most of the members here need to understand is that probably 90% of the aftermarket tunes are based on the GMPP tables and then they improve from there.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100 (sold)
2,735 Posts
I had the GMPP, then had Wester retune on top. Took it for a test drive up the lake and HOLY CRAP, the difference was night and day. Way more torque now.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the GMPP, then had Wester retune on top. Took it for a test drive up the lake and HOLY CRAP, the difference was night and day. Way more torque now.
PT, it sounds you're happy you made the switch performance wise, but how did you justify it financial wise? Isn't the money it costs for the GMPP basically being thrown away?

Too bad the GMPP software can't be improved to equal the aftermarket tunes.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
PT, it sounds you're happy you made the switch performance wise, but how did you justify it financial wise? Isn't the money it costs for the GMPP basically being thrown away?

If you 'improved' the GMPP tune it wouldn't be the GMPP tune any more.

The other after market tunes simply replace it. Like I said, they only one that reside sin a different area of the ECM is Trifecta - with that one you can switch between whatever your base tune might be and the Trifecta tune, by pushing a switch.

But we are swiftly nearing the end of the time when anyone will care about switching anyway, as warranty runs out on the last cars this year. Just buy what you want, load it and forget about it.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts

Hey Chop, I understand what you're saying. If that's what you wanna do, my suggestion is to get HPTuners and play with variables one at a time until you're happy with what you have and something that won't wreck your motor. That will be what I think I will probably wind up doing this next fall. I really want a dyno tune, but I don't want to spend $1200!!! LOL.... So I will "dyno" it myself with a recorder and make changes....

·
Registered
398 Posts
One thing I liked about the GMPP tune was no lift shift. None of the after market can add it. They all work by modifying the either the stock tune or the GMPP tune. It also comes with CARB sticker that say's "turbo charger upgrade" that may become very helpful at smog time. I thought someone offered a switchable HP tune. I looked and couldn't find one, it may have been Dejon, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100 (sold)
2,735 Posts

Not necessarily. I still have the upgraded sensors which provide some extra headroom. And I liked having the NLS there (which the GMPP gave me) even though I haven't used it much...

And Lyndon was having a special that weekend at the show...

Also, as I recall, Lyndon has figured out how to speed opening of the throttle body which would be a gain by itself.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Only Trifecta has switchable tunes. There was a guy on the HPT forum Backyard Turbo, he is out of business. He was also a Trifecta dealer so his switchable tunes so his switchable tunes Trifecta based.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
L-N-F'n, with the mods you list in your tag line, when you switch your tune back to stock (or whatever it is) can you legitimately pass the CARB smog test? PM me if you'd rather not respond here. I am considering a Wester's tune.

Are you planning to attend NASSM2015? I plan to be there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
L-N-F'n, with the mods you list in your tag line, when you switch your tune back to stock (or whatever it is) can you legitimately pass the CARB smog test? PM me if you'd rather not respond here. I am considering a Wester's tune.

Are you planning to attend NASSM2015? I plan to be there.
Carpe Diem, if you hear one way or the other, could you please let me know as well? PM fine...

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.