Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While looking at the cars in Detroit on Friday I notice one of the cars outside had what appeared to be a rub line across the center of the top. As one of the engineers was showing how to put the top up and down he explained that you must first push the top down into the cargo area firmly. Once the top is down you must also push the deck lid down firmly as well or it will not latch.

What appears to be a possible problem is that people are not pushing the tops down firmly enough to get them to seat all the way down. When the deck lid is slammed shut on top of them there is a high spot on the top that will touch the deck lid. My guess is the top is rubbing due to road vibrations against the deck lid causing the rub line on the top.

Double-check you have your top all the way down before slamming the lid (it does requried a little effort to close). Else you to may have an ugly rub line on your top.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You could always put a sheet of bubblewrap on top of the top for protection before you close the trunk. I use to take a towel and put across the back window on my Fiat before I put the top down so the window wouldn't rub against itself. It kept it in like new condition.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
A thin piece of foam might work also.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It may also help reduce the potential of having what appears to be a gap between the trunk and rear quarter panel. If the top is not pushed down all the way, pressure from the side(s) of the top could cause the trunk to not close all the way down (even though it is latched). I think this is the phenomenon that we saw with VIN #001.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Let's not judge production cars with demo cars. That said, you have at least alerted everyone to be vigilant about making sure the top is all the way down in the trunk. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
stang said:
Let's not judge production cars with demo cars...
I dunno... I'm just a lowly enginerd, but I've see more than a few "prototype" designs and implementation turn into "production" realities.

Good to know that there's someone out there spotting these little issues and coming up with fixes. This forum's great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts