Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often I have seen posts which refer to a previous post for information and when I click on that referral, I am sent to that post. I can't figure out how to do that. Help?

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Often I have seen posts which refer to a previous post for information and when I click on that referral, I am sent to that post. I can't figure out how to do that. Help?
Bill, if you are asking about linking to a post in another thread, the procedure is a little more involved:
  • In the bottom right of every post is an icon with "Share" next to it.
  • Putting your pointer over the icon or Share will open a pop-up box
  • At the bottom left of that box is an icon that looks like pages
  • Putting your pointer over that will pop up a message: "Copy to Clipboard"
  • Clicking on the icon will copy the web address of that post to your clipboard.
If you want to link to a particular post, go to the post you want to link to and follow the above steps.
Then, in the post you want to link from, paste the clipboard contents using <CTRL> V.
The web address will initially appear, but will usually be converted to a plain text hyperlink whan you post your reply.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Or you can find the posting you want to share, highlight the URL at the top of your browser and hit "control c". Then go back to the thread you want to insert it into, click on replay and hit "control v" (as John pointed out above) and it will insert the link.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys
Or you can find the posting you want to share, highlight the URL at the top of your browser and hit "control c". Then go back to the thread you want to insert it into, click on replay and hit "control v" (as John pointed out above) and it will insert the link.
Thanks to you guys, my feeble brain finally understands. I did it!

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
The difference in methods lies in how the linked post shows up when you jump to it.
  • Highlighting the URL ("your" method) will take you to the proper page, but with either the first or last post on that page (it varies, I don't know why) at the top of the viewing window.
  • Using the Share Icon ("my" method) will take you to the same page, but with the target post at the top of the viewing window.
So which you use would depend on what you want to accomplish. If you want to direct someone to a thread it is easier to copy the URL. If you want to direct them to a specific post, it is more specific to use the Share.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts