Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

281 - 300 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My New Toy

Just picked up my Red 2007 GXP yesterday. Drove it home in the snow(!) but the sun came out today to wash it. Can't wait till the weather turns and I can get it out of the garage...

·
Registered
153 Posts
NEW ONE COMINGB]

OK new one coming.... My 2009 GXP is coming back from Autowerks with the new 2.4 liter GXP super engine. Car has a long list of aftermarket bits.... It is now to the shop for a full set of Norm's goodies and a custom paint job.

ITS COMING! Pictures soon

CA Sam

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Nice looking car Gerry. I hope you're able to get the windows fixed soon. ;)

:lol:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
New member & new Solstice owner on board. After 10 years of painfully expensive ownership of a 1990 Porsche 928, I've finally made the change to something smaller, lighter, quicker, more fun and (hopefully) far cheaper to maintain.

I'd looked an 07 GXP 4 years ago, but figured I'd better get rid of the 928 first, so didn't pull the trigger. A couple of weeks ago, I walked into our local GMC dealer, with whom my company does business and parked in the middle of their showroom floor was an yellow 5 speed 2008 GXP with 23,000 miles on it. It was just sitting there, taunting me.... So, by the end of the week it was mine.

I made arrangements to get the GMPP tune done before I took it home, but then received a call from the sales guys advising me that he had good news and bad news. The bad news is that they were not able to add any more power to my car, the good news is that it had already had the tune done.

So now it's sitting in the garage and I'm awaiting springtime, so I can get it on the road and sell the 928. The 928 is a beautiful machine, and was my dream car as a younger man, but owning a technologically advanced 25 year old car is not a good idea unless you are a talented mechanic or very wealthy (or preferably both). I was a member of a Porsche forum and found it very useful through the years and expect it to be no different among my Solstice friends here.

Here's some photos from the showroom, one from my garage and even one of the soon to be gone Porsche.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Congrats on the Solstice.

The 928 was a very good grand touring car but not so much a sports car. The engines are robust and often outlast the bodywork in areas that have salt on the roads.

Did you have an automatic, or standard (most had autos here)?

I once considered buying a Euro spec 928S that somehow made it's way to Canada, but a client that ran a Porsche shop advised me against it for just the reasons you mention - said it would nickel and dime me to death, but it wouldn't be nickels or dimes I'd be spending!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
The seats in the back of the 928 are pretty much just for show - all you put back there are groceries, small children and people you really dislike. My car was one of a number that came from Japan a decade ago, as you could import cars to Canada duty free from Japan once they were 15 years old for a very reasonable price. It is a euro-spec left hand drive car (the digital readouts are all in German). Like most, though, it is an automatic. If it was a 5 speed, I might be keeping it.

Definitely a GT cruiser rather that a sports car, though with the cross pipe and rear muffler bypass, it both sounds and drives like a muscle car. I will miss that throaty V8 rumble. I found out the hard way all the truth in the adage, "there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche".

281 - 300 of 330 Posts