Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
I hope that you come away from this rather long post with a somewhat improved understanding of the origin of the name of our favorite roadster. :cool:

Reference: FAQ: What is the astronomical meaning of Solstice?
not bad. maybe you should head over to skyroadster.com and help us out over there! :) good explaination, though. you have a gift for that!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
swatthefly said:
not bad. maybe you should head over to skyroadster.com and help us out over there! :) good explaination, though. you have a gift for that!
Thanks, glad you liked it.:cool: I hope it helped you understand how the Summer and Winter Solstices worked.

Do you think it should be moved to the FAQ forum?

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
That was great!
The 7th Avenue marketing mentality is a lot simpler however.
The solstice represents that point in time bridging the old and the new.
GM's concept says the "old" Pontiac is gone. Solstice is the future of the company.

·
Registered
146 Posts
enjoyed it!

I had wondered the same thing... I'v seen the word used to describe the brilliance of diamonds.

SYLLABICATION: sol•stice

Either of two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator. The summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere occurs about June 21, when the sun is in the zenith at the tropic of Cancer; the winter solstice occurs about December 21. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year and the winter solstice is the shortest. (dictionary.com)

weeeheee

Wouldn't that be a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice delivery date!!! June 21st----go G.M.! Here's hoping that they are able to..... 'get r done. :)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks for mentioning the length of days and the Zeniths in the two Tropics

hojopa said:
I had wondered the same thing... I've seen the word used to describe the brilliance of diamonds.

SYLLABICATION: sol•stice

when the sun is in the zenith at the tropic of Cancer; the winter solstice occurs about December 21. The summer solstice is the longest day of the year and the winter solstice is the shortest. (dictionary.com)

weeeheee

Wouldn't that be a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice delivery date!!! June 21st----go G.M.! Here's hoping that they are able to..... 'get r done. :)
Glad you liked the FAQ. Thanks also for mentioning something I completely forgot to add--the lengths of the days.

I actually omitted mentioning the Zenith transition for the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn intentionally to keep from throwing a final curve ball and avoid having to explain more about the path of the Sun across the sky, so I'm glad you mentioned it here--the post was already too long, and I was looking for ways to trim it down. Then when I finally realized I'd trimmed all I could and it still didn't fit, I broke it up into multiple posts....

With regard to the delivery date--YEAH! That would be really cool. We were discussing on another thread that it would be great to pick up the cars at Sunrise on the Summer Solstice. It would be a wave of Solstices being let lose on the roads as the Sun rose over each dealership in a 1000 mph sweep across the land from East to West.:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Glad you liked the FAQ. Thanks also for mentioning something I completely forgot to add--the lengths of the days.

I actually omitted mentioning the Zenith transition for the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn intentionally to keep from throwing a final curve ball and avoid having to explain more about the path of the Sun across the sky, so I'm glad you mentioned it here--the post was already too long, and I was looking for ways to trim it down. Then when I finally realized I'd trimmed all I could and it still didn't fit, I broke it up into multiple posts....

With regard to the delivery date--YEAH! That would be really cool. We were discussing on another thread that it would be great to pick up the cars at Sunrise on the Summer Solstice. It would be a wave of Solstices being let lose on the roads as the Sun rose over each dealership in a 1000 mph sweep across the land from East to West.:cool:
No prob - just had to find time to do so (moving and editing thread).

With regard to the actual "length" of the longest day/night on the Solstice - it is dependent on your latitude. IIRC, above the arctic circle (66.5 deg?) on the solstice the day is almost exactly 24 hours long at summer solstice, night is 24 hours long at winter solstice.

North of the circle, there are many days that are full time daylight and the sun spins in a lazy spiral until it begins to dip back down below the horizon for a few minutes to normal daytimes.

At the equinoxes, of course, the day and night are roughly equal times for all latitudes. At winter solstice, the night is 24 hours long at the A.C., and way north of the A.C., you get many days on or around the winter solstice that are dark around the clock, with the sun peeking above the horizon for a few minutes after passing the winter solstice.

You need to reverse this for south of the antarctic circle.

Contrast this with being close to the equator (like the Phillipines - latitude not quite at the equator): the day is only 12 1/2 hours long at summer solstice, and 11 1/2 hours long at the winter solstice. If you are right ON the equator, your day and night are pretty much equal, pretty much year round (strange to think about, huh?).

Fascinating, no?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Astronomy and the stars and the whole scientific mumble jumble be damned.Give me the pagan celtic ritual:
Symbolism: Honoring the God at His peak, honoring the pregnant Goddess

Symbols: Spear, cauldron, St. John's Wort, Sun images, faerie images, fire

Foods: Fresh fruits and vegetables, pumpernickel bread, ale, mead

Plants & herbs: Mugwort, chamomile, rose, ivy, wild thyme, lavender, orchid, yarrow, oak, vervain, St. John's Wort

Incense and oils: Lily of the valley, lavender, lemon

Colors: Orange, yellow, green, blue

Stones: Topaz, agate, alexandrite, flourite, moonstone, pearl, emerald, jade

Animals: Butterfly, frog, toad, wren, robin, peacock

Mythical creatures: Satyrs, faeries, firebirds, dragons, sylphs

Some appropriate Goddesses: all love, beauty, and mother Goddesses; Aestas (Roman), Aine of Knockaine (Irish), Anu (Irish), Aphrodite (Greek), Astarte (Canaanite), Bast (Egyptian), Elat (Semitic), Eos (Greek), Flora (Roman), Freya (Norse), Gaia (Greek), Gerd (Teutonic), Grianne (Irish), Hathor (Egyptian), Hera (Greek), Ishtar (Assyro-Babylonian), Isis (Egyptian), Juno (Roman), The Muses (Greek), Nut (Egyptian), Olwyn (Welsh), Venus (Roman), Vesta (Roman)

Some appropriate Gods: all sun, fire, and fertility Gods; Apollo (Greek), Baal (Phoenician), Baldur (Scandinavian), El (Semitic), Hadad (Babylonian), Helios (Greek), Hephaestus (Greek), Jupiter (Roman), Lugh (Irish), Osiris (Egyptian), Prometheus (Greek), Ra (Egyptian), Sol (Roman), Zeus (Greek)

Activities: Picnics, leave out food for faeries, jumping bonfires, gathering herbs.

Spell/ritual work: Healing, love magick, protection, purification, energy, faery
So lets party and get pagan. :party: :cool:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
HOLY COW! That is some writeup Crimson! I have by no means read through it all yet. I am going to have to clear some time at home and read through it. I am looking forward to it! Thanks for taking the time to set it up for the FAQ!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Fformula88 said:
HOLY COW! That is some writeup Crimson! I have by no means read through it all yet. I am going to have to clear some time at home and read through it. I am looking forward to it! Thanks for taking the time to set it up for the FAQ!
Thanks, hope you still like it by the end of your read.:leaving:

I was trying for a more conversational tone and some practical thought experiments (or real experiments) that folks could do to see the tilt and how it affects the seasons. I got very lucky to find the graphics and animations already out there on the web. I just tried to provide a better narrative to go a bit further to explain why the sunrise and sunset points appear to swing back and forth across the horizon.

Anyway, be sure to check into some of the discussion provided by Solsticeman and hojopa with regard to the length of the day.

Again, thanks. I'm glad I was finally able to give something back to this wonderful community.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts