1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Race Ready? GM wants Pontiac Solstice to go wheel-to-wheel with Miata
RICHARD TRUETT | Automotive News

Posted Date: 4/15/05 -- Autoweek.com

DETROIT -- Here is Pontiac's worst fear for the 2006 Solstice roadster: Sales start out strong when the car reaches dealerships in July but fade quickly.

Mark Reuss, executive director of General Motors' performance division, says Pontiac's plan to keep that from happening involves taking the Solstice racing. The low-slung car -- the first four-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive two-seater from GM -- will be offered with a slew of factory-engineered performance engine and suspension parts so weekend racers can compete in Sports Car Club of America events against the Mazda Miata.

And there may be at least one other body style in the works for the Solstice.

Reuss showed a picture of a car labeled the 2007 Solstice GT during a panel discussion at the SAE World Congress. The photo showed the car in coupe form with a sloping, fixed roof, like the Audi TT.

He would not confirm that the car is planned for production. Reuss said he's pushing for a hardtop, either fixed or removable -- a requirement before the Solstice can be raced.

"We want to take the showroom stock B class from the Miata," said Reuss.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, didn't we say the HiPo version looked very close to production? On year away? Hmmm...:)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
byebmw said:
a slew of factory-engineered performance engine and suspension parts so weekend racers can compete in Sports Car Club of America events against the Mazda Miata.
That's the bit I'm more interested in.

·
5,641 Posts
Very good more Pontiacs racing to fill the NASCAR hole in my Pontiac heart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
byebmw said:
The low-slung car -- the first four-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive two-seater from GM -- .....
I disagree with this quote. Did the writer forget about the Fiero? It was definitely a four-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive two-seater from GM!

·
Registered
49 Posts
byebmw said:
Race Ready? GM wants Pontiac Solstice to go wheel-to-wheel with Miata
RICHARD TRUETT | Automotive News

Posted Date: 4/15/05 -- Autoweek.com

DETROIT -- Here is Pontiac's worst fear for the 2006 Solstice roadster: Sales start out strong when the car reaches dealerships in July but fade quickly.

Mark Reuss, executive director of General Motors' performance division, says Pontiac's plan to keep that from happening involves taking the Solstice racing. The low-slung car -- the first four-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive two-seater from GM -- will be offered with a slew of factory-engineered performance engine and suspension parts so weekend racers can compete in Sports Car Club of America events against the Mazda Miata.

And there may be at least one other body style in the works for the Solstice.

Reuss showed a picture of a car labeled the 2007 Solstice GT during a panel discussion at the SAE World Congress. The photo showed the car in coupe form with a sloping, fixed roof, like the Audi TT.

He would not confirm that the car is planned for production. Reuss said he's pushing for a hardtop, either fixed or removable -- a requirement before the Solstice can be raced.

"We want to take the showroom stock B class from the Miata," said Reuss.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm, didn't we say the HiPo version looked very close to production? On year away? Hmmm...:)

Id say thats anything but proof. May be one other body style, not confirmed for production,etc etc. Its more them saying they want it to go racing, thus they will add a removable hardtop like the miata.

·
Registered
391 Posts
88PlasticBullet said:
I disagree with this quote. Did the writer forget about the Fiero? It was definitely a four-cylinder, rear-wheel-drive two-seater from GM!
Maybe he just forgot the " front engine" part of the quote?
Then it would be true.

·
Registered
753 Posts
there was a fastback solstice concept that was really a great looking car. i'm hearing that pontiac will be offering a removeable hardtop and other accessories as well- luggage raks, suspension mods and maybe more

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Bull_07 said:
The fiero get's no resepect.
GM has spent the better part of the last two decades trying to dis-own the Fiero. Based on its bad reputation with the public in general, it is probably best for the Solstice if its not mentioned in conjunction of the Solstice that much. However, the correct information should still be reported.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ya, my wife and I took our 88Fiero GT (with an engine conversion) to a car show the other day and the only person that even said anything about it was a kid about 13years old. He asked me " How fast is it? " I told him " It will do 110MPH in second gear and that is as fast as I have had it up to " He told his Mother that he wants a car like my Fiero or a Hot Rod of some sort when he is old enough to drive.
For the most part that is the only thing anyone has asked me at the show.
But that is OK with me I gues, I dont need to wory about anyone stealing my Fiero?
But my Kappa, now that would be TRAMATIC if it were to be stolen, ( of corse it would have an engine conversion too and do over 160MPH in 6th gear ) ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts