Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the usual DDM suspension stuff, Pro-beam, Backbone, and LV Front brace I am now ready to turn my attention to dressing up the engine bay on my 08 GXP. I have read everything I can find on the forum, researched all the various options, and drooled over many cars at a national and at at a regional and have decided to start with removing the engine cover and powder coating the valve cover. I am going to powder coat the valve cover black and add a DDM SS coil cover. I know I can get Dave to powder coat the cover, but that means shipping it all the way from the west coast of Canada and back, when I have a powder coating company just a few miles down the road from my home. The only thing is, my local powder coater has never done a valve cover before, so I would like to go to him armed with enough info that he gets it right the first time. I have read lots of do's and don'ts on the internet but would like to get some info from someone who has actually done it. Things like what to plug all the holes with, not powder coating the inside, how to mask off the inside, what formulation of powder to use, that sort of thing? Any info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Don

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Check with Dave. He will share his knowledge. He does not do the powercoating at his shop but uses a supplier. He is usually very good about sharing information. Powercoating is not a huge profit maker for him.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
The last place I worked at had a huge machine shop and we had an industrial podwer coating setup. we used to coat the panals for GE and did hundreds of them a day. several of the guys did their car parts and one guy did an intake and it came out awesome. you really have to be carefull as the thickness of the coating is what can get you into trouble. especially bolt holes. ours was an assembly line type that you put everything on a hanger and sent them thru. first is a phospherous wash, then dry, coat and bake. he used normal masking tape but some of it was blown off in the wash and he had to grind off a few spots. however, this sprayed from all directions and your guy can probably just concentrate on one side. You also have to be sure no water gets trapped inside any of the via's so use caution when masking both sides. good thing is if you do get some overspray, it can be removed so I'd think as long as it's well cleaned, you should be in good shape.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
I have built more than a few cars and bikes in my lifetime and have had parts powdercoated since the 80's Back then in order to get something done you had to go to someone who did industrial powdercoating and your color choices were limited .I have always had great results and continue to have my parts powdercoated to this day .That said I'm sure if you look up powdercoaters in your phone book (I'm showing my age) or do an online search you can find someone in your area and save you some money.I had my valve/cam cover and springs coated last year and they came out great and cost all of 100 bucks and a 20 minute drive.The most important thing with this procedure is having a clean surface to start with I'm lucky as my coater does his sand /glass beading in house .This winter I will be doing a suspension upgrade on my car and anything that does not come in red ( as I started with my eibach springs)I'll have powder coated my wife says I'm a detail freak!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yeah, I bead blasted the intake on the Vette and the wife accused me of going out and buying a new one. if you can do that before hand it will insure you get maximim adhesion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Funny I should see this today. I found a valve-cover in the junk yard that is in my trunk right now. Dropping it off after work to get powder coated. Just going with a gloss black. I may highlight the Ecotec VVT with some gold paint from a rattle can when I get it back.

I will be sure to add some pictures when done.

The shop is charging me $75 for the whole job.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
found these before bead blasting and after's:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

It's the only way to go!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
found these before bead blasting and after's:
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

It's the only way to go!
The nice part about bead blasting is all you need is some brake cleaner to keep your parts fresh looking and if they are not heat sensitive you can clear coat them .

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
hey, I forgot I had these. the guy across the street gave me these powder coated valve covers that matched my engine.

I used them for about 6 months and then decided to get aluminum heads and roller rockers which required the tall valve covers. I still have them and they held up great.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yep. absolutely just had to have it. bought it, poured money into it. got it out of my system and now it's just a memory. figured I paid 11,675 for it and spent about 5,000 in parts and had a whole lot of fun and drove it for 3 years and sold it for 14,000 I think I came out pretty damn good. before I sold it and tuned it down, it was pumping out a little over 400hp which was plenty for something that had crappy brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts