Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, have been watching from a distance. I got to drive one of the mules that came through Memphis yesterday and must say what a nice ride!!!!) Got to take it on the highway, they are not kidding about reving it up to get some speed out of it. Any way. One question, (I have looked all over the forum for any info about the power locks and did not find any.) Does the production model have a button on the door or in the middle that unlocks the doors with out pushing the key fob button, seems a little weird?

Mysterious w/steel/sand leather, every thing but XM Radio, On Star and Smoker's Package, #1 on Dealer list, he says sometime in November.

·
Registered
109 Posts
From what I've heard, no. There are two ways to unlock them from the inside, which is to either turn off the car, or to use the key-fob. Sorry... I wish I could offer you more. I think it's a stupid choice.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
One thing I don't remember people talking about is if the Solstice locks the doors automatically after starting or after going 5 mph or something. If it doesn't, then who cares about convienient internal buttons? If it does, how often do you need to get out while the car is still running anyway?

And since my first experience with the key FOB in 1997, I can honestly say I don't remember ever using the manual button to lock or unlock a door since. I use the FOB to open the door, get in, start, drive, turn off, get out, lock. My Murano only has 1 key port (driver door only) on the outside of the vehicle, and the internal lock buttons are awkward and unclear, so I think they agree with me, "an FOB is used 95% of the time, so the other stuff isn't necessary most of the time."

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Here's how it was explained to me:

- the car automatically locks the doors when the vehicle moves (or sometimes if you put it into reverse or something like that).

- the car automatically unlocks when you shut the engine off. You can reprogram the car to either unlock both doors, only the driver's door, or NOT unlock at all.

You cannot disable the locking feature. I'm told GM does this as a safety precaution so your door can't be inadvertantly opened (either from the inside or outside).

If you stop the car, and you still want to open a door, you either have to manually unlock the car (reach over to the pass side, or twist and unlock your own door), OR you can unlock it with the key fob usually hanging on the keychain. OR you can simply shut off the car.

If you are like most people, you'll stop, pull the park brake and leave the engine running and trans in neutral, then try to open the door, THEN twist and unlock the door manually and then get out. You will do this often, even if you have owned and driven your Solstice for months. :lol:

Some other manufacturers actually have the doorlocks unlock when you pull on the handle. While it seems like this is an option for the Solstice, I'm told that this was not an option, since it might be possible for a customer to pull on the doorhandle while negotiating a corner, and if they didn't happen to be wearing the seatbelt at that same time, would experience the definition of "momentum" and their body mass would continue to move right out the now-open door and travel at approximately the vehicle's cornering speed, but in a tangential path....

Besides that, the "door unlocking when you pull the inside handle" is more expensive to produce, and not in line with the "mission" of the car.

Interestingly, many vehicles lock automatically, and don't unlock if you stop the car with the engine running. HOWEVER, these vehicles usually have the doorlock lever right near the handle, not an entire door-length away. On vehicles such as I've described, you prolly do the same thing as you do in the Solstice, but since you only need to move about 2" to manually unlock the car, you never notice it. OR, they supply an automatic lock button.

Some people who are short-legged, I suspect, will have a problem with the manual unlock, which, because of their forward seating position, will find both the center cupholders AND the doorlocks actually behind them.

So, here's the REAL question - do the doors automatically lock on a car where the owner has not purchased the "convenience" package? If so, that seems rude, as the hardware for RKE and electric door locks are on every car. If not, then get the car without the RKE :lol:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Since 1997 my cars have been automatics, so you put it in park when you stop. This may be a reason I've never had to touch the manual lock, because putting it in park unlocks the doors?

My question is, how much/often does one need to leave the car with the motor running? Not to get gas, not to go through an ATM, and not to go in a store. Maybe to get the mail out of your box at the end of the drive?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Or if you are changing drivers (letting your friend take his/her turn at the wheel). Happens more often than you think - why else would someone find this, if you shut your car off every time you get out.

Open your broken garage door. Get in your Solstice, back it out, pull the park brake and go to exit - DAMN! Unlock the door THEN exit, close your broken garage door....

see what I mean?

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
While it seems like this is an option for the Solstice, I'm told that this was not an option, since it might be possible for a customer to pull on the doorhandle while negotiating a corner, and if they didn't happen to be wearing the seatbelt at that same time, would experience the definition of "momentum" and their body mass would continue to move right out the now-open door and travel at approximately the vehicle's cornering speed, but in a tangential path.... solsticeman
Now, there's an image.

·
Registered
462 Posts
solsticeman said:
Here's how it was explained to me:

- the car automatically locks the doors when the vehicle moves (or sometimes if you put it into reverse or something like that).

- the car automatically unlocks when you shut the engine off. You can reprogram the car to either unlock both doors, only the driver's door, or NOT unlock at all.

You cannot disable the locking feature. I'm told GM does this as a safety precaution so your door can't be inadvertantly opened (either from the inside or outside).

If you stop the car, and you still want to open a door, you either have to manually unlock the car (reach over to the pass side, or twist and unlock your own door), OR you can unlock it with the key fob usually hanging on the keychain. OR you can simply shut off the car.

If you are like most people, you'll stop, pull the park brake and leave the engine running and trans in neutral, then try to open the door, THEN twist and unlock the door manually and then get out. You will do this often, even if you have owned and driven your Solstice for months. :lol:

Some other manufacturers actually have the doorlocks unlock when you pull on the handle. While it seems like this is an option for the Solstice, I'm told that this was not an option, since it might be possible for a customer to pull on the doorhandle while negotiating a corner, and if they didn't happen to be wearing the seatbelt at that same time, would experience the definition of "momentum" and their body mass would continue to move right out the now-open door and travel at approximately the vehicle's cornering speed, but in a tangential path....

Besides that, the "door unlocking when you pull the inside handle" is more expensive to produce, and not in line with the "mission" of the car.

Interestingly, many vehicles lock automatically, and don't unlock if you stop the car with the engine running. HOWEVER, these vehicles usually have the doorlock lever right near the handle, not an entire door-length away. On vehicles such as I've described, you prolly do the same thing as you do in the Solstice, but since you only need to move about 2" to manually unlock the car, you never notice it. OR, they supply an automatic lock button.

Some people who are short-legged, I suspect, will have a problem with the manual unlock, which, because of their forward seating position, will find both the center cupholders AND the doorlocks actually behind them.
Man... I don't like that!
I guess there is a plus side to my dealer forgeting the Power Package. ;)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
Or if you are changing drivers (letting your friend take his/her turn at the wheel). Happens more often than you think - why else would someone find this, if you shut your car off every time you get out.

Open your broken garage door. Get in your Solstice, back it out, pull the park brake and go to exit - DAMN! Unlock the door THEN exit, close your broken garage door....

see what I mean?
I see what you mean but I don't think it affects us....

My wife (not even me very often) will be the only one driving her car, so no switching drivers for us.

Suggestion, fix your garage door opener so it works, just like ours. :yesnod:

See what I mean? :lol:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bonzo said:
Since 1997 my cars have been automatics, so you put it in park when you stop. This may be a reason I've never had to touch the manual lock, because putting it in park unlocks the doors?

My question is, how much/often does one need to leave the car with the motor running? Not to get gas, not to go through an ATM, and not to go in a store. Maybe to get the mail out of your box at the end of the drive?

Or if you pick up a passenger

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
solsticeman said:
Passenger thing is real - zip by somewhere to pick up someone, many times you don't want to shut the car off and start it back up just to let them in.
Yes, I'd say that could be an issue for many people. :yesnod: Didn't think of that. But again, probably not for my wife and I.

But considering that's probably not an everyday occurance in the Solstice, hitting the FOB or leaning over (you know, like everyone used to do before we got lazy) shouldn't be a big deal. Besides, this won't happen at first, because when you pull up your going to shut it off while everyone admires it for and hour or so.

On a side note, I've always thought the auto door lock thing was highly over rated, and in some cars down right annoying There should be a way to over ride it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. It will be just a little different to get use to as this being a second car. I agree that it will be a little trouble to rember that I have to use the key fob.

·
Registered
64 Posts
solsticeman said:
So, here's the REAL question - do the doors automatically lock on a car where the owner has not purchased the "convenience" package? If so, that seems rude, as the hardware for RKE and electric door locks are on every car. If not, then get the car without the RKE :lol:
The autolock feature is the default configuration and can only be changed if you have the DIC. Same situation with the headlamps (on at unlock), light flash with key fob, horn chirp with lock/unlock, and the theft alarm (active vs passive). I am trying to find out if these are programmable with a Tech2 on a vehicle without the convenience package.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
NytLyt said:
The autolock feature is the default configuration and can only be changed if you have the DIC. Same situation with the headlamps (on at unlock), light flash with key fob, horn chirp with lock/unlock, and the theft alarm (active vs passive). I am trying to find out if these are programmable with a Tech2 on a vehicle without the convenience package.
What's "the DIC"?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Learning to use the key fob shouldn't be all that dificult. It would be the same as getting a car with the switch in the center instead of the door. First couple of weeks you forget, but then it becomes second nature to just reach for the key fob or ignititon switch

·
Registered
134 Posts
solsticeman said:
Passenger thing is real - zip by somewhere to pick up someone, many times you don't want to shut the car off and start it back up just to let them in.
Chalk it up to another minor inconvenience of owning a Solstice :lol:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Wailing Phoenix said:
Chalk it up to another minor inconvenience of owning a Solstice :lol:
It's called "Character" I think. :D

Hey, I've got an idea for all those that think this is a huge pain. Just velcro your spare key FOB to the center console then you can use it like an unlock/lock button. :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts