1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2006 Base Model
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 2.4l Solstice
Just over 84000 Miles

Reduction of Engine Power
It feels like the solstice bogs down when getting on the highway and it is a struggle to get up to 65MPH, even in 4th, or 3rd gear.
Fuel Pressure Tester leaks exponentially slower on shutdown
60 to 50 in 30s
50 to 40 in 1min
40-30 in 2min
30-20 in 4min
then hours to go from 20-0

I did an oil and oil filter change at 84,134 miles at the start of the month with the car now being at 84,438 miles.
I have no check engine light on, no misfire, unsure of what the issue is but I am leaning towards a Fuel Pump or Fuel injector.
I am under the impression that a fuel injector would have a misfire, correct?

Any information would be much appreciated in curing my sick solstice.

· Registered
53 Posts
hmmm I'm not sure. No direct knowledge but my guess is clogged cat but there should be a code. I know there is no light but have you tried to pull any codes? That seems to be something that can happen on our Base cars. It would certainly cause a drop in power. Another thought is the VVT solenoids (should cause code though). You could also do a compression check of each cylinder to make sure that is OK

· Registered
2006 Base Model
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm I'm not sure. No direct knowledge but my guess is clogged cat but there should be a code. I know there is no light but have you tried to pull any codes? That seems to be something that can happen on our Base cars. It would certainly cause a drop in power. Another thought is the VVT solenoids (should cause code though). You could also do a compression check of each cylinder to make sure that is OK
I'll try that and I'll give ya an update, I did try to pull a code with no avail which has not helped to narrow it down. Thanks!

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
Your fuel pump should not move from 60psi of pressure while the car is running. If it drops into the 40s then the fuel pump is your problem.

To check the catalyst go to home Depot and pick up an infrared thermometer. They are 35 bucks. Drive the car for 20 minutes or so and then use that thermometer to check the temp of the catalyst. It should be around 1500F if the catalyst is plugged the temps will be 1700 to 1800

Reactions: Sloowstice

· Registered
53 Posts
Your fuel pump should not move from 60psi of pressure while the car is running. If it drops into the 40s then the fuel pump is your problem.

To check the catalyst go to home Depot and pick up an infrared thermometer. They are 35 bucks. Drive the car for 20 minutes or so and then use that thermometer to check the temp of the catalyst. It should be around 1500F if the catalyst is plugged the temps will be 1700 to 1800
How do you check the fuel pressure in a Solstice?

· Registered
7,855 Posts
with an OBDII scan tool that supports live data.

· Registered
2006 Base Model
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
Got an Infared Thermometer to check Catalytic Converter
The top of the Cat reads 750F
The bottom of the Cat reads 300F

This indicates a cat Issue, correct? Would I be able to simply clean this or is the temperature difference so severe that I would need a brand new one?
The issue seems to slowly be getting worse.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
The catalyst should be hotter than that. Normal operating temp is 1500°F

· Registered
7,855 Posts
Idle the car for 20 to 30 minutes and then check the temps. drive it around the block and check the temps again immediately afterwards. check the temp just before the catalyst where there is no heat shielding. you do not want a temp reading of the shielding you want the temp of the catalyst itself.

· Registered
2006 Base Model
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Idle the car for 20 to 30 minutes and then check the temps. drive it around the block and check the temps again immediately afterwards. check the temp just before the catalyst where there is no heat shielding. you do not want a temp reading of the shielding you want the temp of the catalyst itself.
The only Temp Checker I could find maxed out at 750F. The main thing that was displayed was the heating imbalance.

I pulled the Cat off and when shaken, sounds like there's a rock inside. This is not normal, correct?
Working on getting a new Catalytic converter at the moment.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
No you should not hear rattling from inside the catalyst. If you do then it is no good.

· Registered
53 Posts
Great news! Clogged cats are a problem on our Base cars. The threads I've seen about it the car had a code. Interesting there was no code in your case. When you took your old cat off did you look in it with a flashlight? Did you see pieces of the catalyst broken off? I know you said it rattled but curious if you could see it broken.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
Make sure you scrap that old catalyst. you can get 400 bucks or more for it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts