Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not re-opening that can of worms with regard to the Solstice. I was just blown away today. A 350Z pulled next to me at a stop light. The rear deck lid flipped up (5 seconds), the top folded out of sight (5 seconds) and the rear lid eased back down (5 seconds). All done in an instant at the touch a button.

I am going to love my bargain-priced "back to basics roadster". But don't let me kid you! If there was an automatic power top option for the Sol, I would definitely buy it after the Z demo I caught tonight. There is nothing like convenience.

Too bad the Z isn't styled and priced like the Sol. Oh well, can't have everything. I guess I just had to share how sweet that feature is and I wish the Solstice had it. But then I am sure I would just complain about how much that option cost. To tell the truth, I just don't expect to be working the top all that often. The Sol will be a car for nice weather joy riding. I'll put the top up when I'm at a hotel overnight or caught completely by surprise in a rainstorm (which rarely happens here in California). But anytime the car goes back into the garage, the top will stay down so it is not like I'm going to be working the top frequently anyway. (Ah, sour grapes are funny, huh?)

·
Registered
56 Posts
15 seconds wow that's a long time hehe just kidding. Yes the power top is usefull and not having to get out of the car as well. In the s2000 it's 6 seconds for the top to go down or up, which is very important in the rain ;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The one that'll always impress me was the Honda Del Sol. The Japanese version, not offered in the US, had a double hinged rear deck with tracks that elevated electrically from the rear. With just a push of a button, the center hatch would store itself into the trunk space using a half dozen electric motors. Imagine sitting in your $45,000 'Vette and watching that happen to the little Honda in front of you. :brentil: Regardless of how hard the Solstice top is to deploy, it's nothing compared to pulling a 30 pound hatch out of the trunk and carefully (don't want to scratch the paint) fastening it into place.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Long time compared to the new Miata NC apparently. From up to down in about 2 seconds. :D Power tops are nice though.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
wing said:
15 seconds wow that's a long time hehe just kidding. Yes the power top is usefull and not having to get out of the car as well. In the s2000 it's 6 seconds for the top to go down or up, which is very important in the rain ;)
I measured consistently 9 seconds cycle time in the S2K, but point is it's really quite quick. And another two seconds for latching/unlatching, but more than adequate to keep you dry enough in a sudden downpour.

Not as kool looking as watching the SSR top go up or down. But that takes 20ish+ seconds to go down... just looks like a lot of stuff going on - you hear clicks, whirrs, changes in motors driving little catches and stuff - like your very own real-life-sized transformer. It's actually quite fun.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The driver's seat up to down in the Miata (current, and even the NC) is nice, but I almost sprained my shoulder trying to put it back up in the NB Miata from the driver's seat...

...I found to get the leverage to pull the top back up, I usually had to unbuckle and twist in the seat to put it up, sometimes using two hands and jerking the roof to get it to travel overcenter. Definitely not all that friendly, but it could be done from the driver's seat, if you have enough strength. My wife, though, couldn't do it and had to get out to get the leverage to lift the top up.

·
4,592 Posts
I can barely do the NB top from the drivers seat, and it can hurt your shoulder with a good injury, so careful.

But I figured out a secret (for me at least). I unbuckle, skoot my rear end up 2 inches by propping against the rear seat. This changes the way you lift the top, you're now higher, so you pull up on it rather than trying to push it up, saves the arm great strain. I can do this in a matter of seconds, I did it one day when at a light and the rain started getting heavy. Works for me!

But how often do you really need to put the top up while in the driver seat (especially here in so cal).

OTOH, putting it down from the driver seat is a common occurane, say after a long freeway commute, you hit a light, bam bam, 4 seconds to top down excitment!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Pontiac G6 Convertible takes a full 30 seconds to change the hardtop. That's a lot, but there is a huge difference in size, structure and weight. :cool

·
Registered
192 Posts
brentil said:
Long time compared to the new Miata NC apparently. From up to down in about 2 seconds. :D Power tops are nice though.
Personally, I do not see the value in a power top if we're talking about Miata size roadsters. But then you're talking to someone who'd like to remove the soft top in the winter to reduce weight. A hardtop in Winter is really nice too. ;)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
solsticeman said:
The driver's seat up to down in the Miata (current, and even the NC) is nice, but I almost sprained my shoulder trying to put it back up in the NB Miata from the driver's seat...

...I found to get the leverage to pull the top back up, I usually had to unbuckle and twist in the seat to put it up, sometimes using two hands and jerking the roof to get it to travel overcenter. Definitely not all that friendly, but it could be done from the driver's seat, if you have enough strength. My wife, though, couldn't do it and had to get out to get the leverage to lift the top up.
RODEO said:
I can barely do the NB top from the drivers seat, and it can hurt your shoulder with a good injury, so careful.

But I figured out a secret (for me at least). I unbuckle, skoot my rear end up 2 inches by propping against the rear seat. This changes the way you lift the top, you're now higher, so you pull up on it rather than trying to push it up, saves the arm great strain. I can do this in a matter of seconds, I did it one day when at a light and the rain started getting heavy. Works for me!
Wimps! ;) Spend less time at the keyboard and a little more time in the gym:nopity: :D You guys probably need a jack and lug wrench to change a tire too, don't ya? :cool:

I don't think I ever got out of my NA to raise/lower the top. Maybe the NB top is a little different. I suppose a couple times it felt like I was close to tweaking my shoulder. My wife, OTOH had to get out of the car to put the top up.

·
4,592 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Wimps! ;) Spend less time at the keyboard and a little more time in the gym:nopity: :D You guys probably need a jack and lug wrench to change a tire too, don't ya? :cool:

I don't think I ever got out of my NA to raise/lower the top. Maybe the NB top is a little different. I suppose a couple times it felt like I was close to tweaking my shoulder. My wife, OTOH had to get out of the car to put the top up.
ALL RIGHT, I'M OUT OF HERE - AND FOR WHAT IS'T WORTH I'M GONNA KEY EVERY SOLSTICE I SEE.......... :devil:

j/k

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
RODEO said:
ALL RIGHT, I'M OUT OF HERE - AND FOR WHAT IS'T WORTH I'M GONNA KEY EVERY SOLSTICE I SEE.......... :devil:

j/k
Dang! I was hoping I'd at least get a custom avatar out of that one! Didn't mean to offend. :blush: :blueangel

·
4,592 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Dang! I was hoping I'd at least get a custom avatar out of that one! Didn't mean to offend. :blush: :blueangel
Alright. I'm back, and 2KWK's sol is safe once again.

I wonder if the seat height makes a difference possibly. I can pull the top up from the drivers seat, but realized the first time I did it that it risks a shoulder injury, it'smore to do with your low relative to the top. Maybe early mi*tas had a seat that sat higher than the MSM?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
mceb said:
Nice but they take up extra space and weight.
And with 1.4 cubic feet of trunk space, I'm not even caring that there is a trunk anymore... I'll use the 1.4ft^2 to install an aftermarket motor system for the top and deck lid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts