Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have one of those electric power washers (1600psi)? They seem pretty cool to wash a car with, mixes the soap and everything. Of course they clean other things too.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Seems to me like it would clean the paint right off if you have any rock chips. I'll stick to hand washing!

·
Registered
535 Posts
There is different nozzles to create different pressures and spray patterns, but I still prefer hand washing with a bucket and hose.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Old school huh... ;) I've been seeing a couple of neighbors using them and they look pretty cool especially in the winter to just rinse off the salt quickly.

·
Registered
535 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Anyone know how these compare to the coin operated car washes? What are thier rated pressures and flow rates?
I'm sure they are similar, the only problem is how do you get lubrication to the surface to carry contaminants with that much pressure? I don't even turn the garden hose directly on the car at first. I aim it at the sky and let it sprinkle until the surface is all wet. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Anyone know how these compare to the coin operated car washes? What are thier rated pressures and flow rates?
Biggest difference is that you are sure you are using clean clear water when you do this at home, and not recylced not completely filtered rinse water from the guy before. That new lower pressure nozzle from Mr Clean that says you don't have to dry the car - now that sounds cool - anybody try one yet? We're still at 23 degrees so a trip through the touchless lazer wash is what we do all winter. Last time through my calipers were iced up or the runoff was slick as I left the booth and I slid into the street when I hit the brakes. Fortunately no one was coming.

·
4,592 Posts
2 things:

When I was young, I had worked with a guy who had a van with a pressure wand, and he washed dealer cars. anyone know how most dealers wash their cars?

here's a thread on mr. clean.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=618

I use mrclean on my white 4x4, and it saves me a ton of work. It leaves some spots, only a few, and I have extremely hard water in my area. On the grey MSM, it also leaves a few spots, mostly on the hood, but if you have a towel handy, you just clean up those few spots. I just washed the MSM yesterday, and did a towel only dry, I think mrclean would have saved me 5 minutes, so not really worth it on a smaller car, but I wouldn't recommend against it either. But for a suv sized vehicle, works great!

In that thread above, I gace some tip on how to better us mrclean vs their instructions.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Seems to me like it would clean the paint right off if you have any rock chips. I'll stick to hand washing!
Been there, done that, still got the t-shirt...:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts