Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend my son used the Solstice. His girlfriend tried to put the passenger window up. It stopped halfway up but would go down. I checked the forum for troubleshooting ideas and looked through the service manual for the wiring diagram. I pulled the door panel, checking to be sure that the switch was plugged in (it was) and checked for power at the switch (driver's window is working). Sure enough there is power to the switch. I then checked for power out of the switch (not the easiest thing to do when you are working alone) and the meter gave me some strange readings and certainly not the voltage I expected. Since the window motor seemed to be working (at least down) I replaced the switch. All is working now. There appears to be very little on the forum about switch failure. I may take the switch apart to see if I can identify a failure mode. The switch was only $19 so I feel lucky. Have others had this failure?

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Which switch did you replace? Would the window go up using the other switch?

FWIW: I haven't had problems with either of mine.

edit: $19, must have been the passenger switch. Would the driver's side switch raise the passenger window?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the passenger switch. The way this is designed the driver side switch is wired through the passenger switch so the window wouldn't go up or down from either switch. This design might make you think that the failure was the window motor (since both switches did nothing) but no, not the way the circuit is designed. The passenger switch must be OK for the driver's side to work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts