Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
1,067 Posts
so no real warranty on the patch repair....mine cam on today after about 20-30 sits....( almost 5000 miles) I will not pay gm to fix something they were supposed for a recall to fix already. a patch is not a fix.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
so no real warranty on the patch repair....mine cam on today after about 20-30 sits....( almost 5000 miles) I will not pay gm to fix something they were supposed for a recall to fix already. a patch is not a fix.
I agree about the patch. Its not a fix. Only good thing about it is that if they install the patch, the whole PPS is guaranteed for a year.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
993 Posts
I second the seatbelts thing.
What the actual “F” GM?
not a place to cheap out on.

now I live in fear of the airbag thing. Guess I need to contact a GM dealership and take her in for recalls.
I absolutely despise letting a dealership touch my car...
Just went through a bunch of hooey with FCA on my 2018 Wranglers electrical system. 5 visits and multiple batteries over 18 months until they would finally listen to me and replace the damn alternator. At least it was under warranty but my time has value to me and that was a lot of lost time.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
3,135 Posts
what causes the PPS mat to tear is kneeling on the seat. When the ignition switch recall came out for the Kappas and people brought their cars in to have that done there was a rash of PPS sensor failures shortly after. The thought is that the tech that performed the ignition switch replacement probably did some of the work from the passenger side of the vehicle while kneeling on the passenger seat.

The material used in the PPS mat is called a FPC (Flexible Printed Circuit)

The break in the PPS sensor pad CAN be repaired. In order to expose the trace without damaging it the coating needs to be sanded off. It is a slow process as you would be using something like 220 grit paper. Once you have the trace exposed a new trace can be placed across the break and new protective material placed over the top and the bottom. Once the new protective coating is put in place an additional layer of material can be added to make that area stronger. And additions like the ones mentioned in the link below will aid in keeping the mat from tearing again.

What I find kind of amusing is that you do not see the addition of a reinforcing tape as one of the mechanisms to use in order to keep the FPC from tearing. What I believe would be the most effective would be the addition of fibers on either side of the trace and sandwiched between the layers. This would allow the mat to retain it's flexibility. This is something that can be added if doing a repair of the mat.

·
Premium Member
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean
141 Posts
The break in the PPS sensor pad CAN be repaired.
Not entirely true.
Eliminate break in the electric circuit of the mat - you can (we did it).
But it is impossible to restore the operation of the module after the module has fixed the mat break.
We are discussing all this in another topic.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I am not sure what you mean. What you are discussing in that thread is the bypassing of the PPS module altogether.

I believe this is how the PPS module works. When the PPS module is powered on it will perform a P.O.S.T. (Power On Self Test) to check the integrity of it's systems, this includes running a test on the mat. If the test on the mat fails the PPS module reports it's failure to the SDM.

I am pretty sure that if the mat fails is does not render the PPS module inoperative forever. I believe that if the break in the mat gets repaired when the PPS module does it's POST it will no longer find a fault in the mat and continue along it's merry way.

There was a discussion prior to my comment regarding repairing the mat. It was stated that a repair of the mat could be done by drilling holes in the mat and using wire strands. The information I provided explains how to correct the mat the proper way and also how to reinforce the area so it will not break again once the repair has been made. The method of repair I wrote is the best way to do it and wouldn't have a questionable connection being made. There was never the question of will the PPS module work if the mat is repaired. This is a question I cannot answer as I have not repaired a broken mat and check to see if the repair of the mat allowed the PPS module to work properly. I can tell you that the method for repairing the mat I have used to repair other devices that used FPC's with a high success rate and without having any issues with the repair down the road.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I read further back your findings about the PPS module and it remembering the fault.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
@joybill44 I agree with you.
A couple of days ago I installed and activated a new PPS. How long it will work - only the module itself knows.
These modules are new PPS modules that were produced in 2017 for the recall campaign (see sticker on the box). Soon they will run out and it will be impossible to buy ...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Because of the way the system is designed I am willing to bet the exact same PPS module and mat is used in other vehicles. Other then GM I mean. Otherwise GM would have had the SDM handle generating and storing the DTC. I believe that GM would have gone the route of having the PPS module to handle the sensing of the person and the SDM would have handled the LED's and the DTC's. They decided to use a part that was already in production and was sitting on the shelf instead of designing and building something from the ground up. They had to design and build the SDM module for the vehicle so they added the serial line so it could communicate with the PPS module.

If we look at all vehicle manufacturers around the same time and collect the ones that have had issues with the PPS sensor mats I am willing to bet that one or more of the manufacturers use the exact same setup. This might open up some availability of the PPS. The only real requirements that is needed is the sensor needs to be able to communicate with the SDM and the mat needs to be able to fit in the seat. If GM is not who engineered the PPS module then there is a high probability that the communications protocol between the PPS and the SDM is not unique to GM or the Kappas.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
well isn't that strange.

The post that @E.G.P. just made I have opened in this browser tab and it is in English but in another tab it is in Russian. how odd.
If I navigate away from this page and then navigate to it again in this tab it appears in Russian the only way I can get it to display in English again is by hitting the back button to get back to the page.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Hey check this out. The PPS does NOT lock it's self so it cannot ever be used again if there is a mat failure.

Look at the Conditions For clearing the DTC. You need to either instruct the PPS to clear the code or you have to cycle the key 255 times.

This is for DTC 1051

and this one is for DTC 1063

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
also..

Did you clear the DTC's before performing a preload test procedure? I am not sure if the system will do the preload test if there are DTC's that are present.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
@kgschlosser thanks for the info. Can we move on with the technical details to another topic? Otherwise everything will mix...
I wrote you a private message.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
any body have any expearance with these???it would be nice if it was switchable...

Pontiac Solstice Passenger Airbag Seat Occupancy sensor - emulator

Pontiac solstice passenger airbag seat sensor - bypass
Product Condition: New

$79.00

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
any body have any expearance with these???it would be nice if it was switchable...

Yes. A few folks have tried (do a search). Apparently it's not just plug and play - folks have had issues.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
@marksbug check out this thread. And my message is # 53. I'm sure this "emulator" won't work for your 2006 car either.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
thanks for the heads up!! Wow that was a lot of reading....it didnt say alot about the 360 thingy.but what I did read about it wasent promising for it working.... but I do like the direction you are headed in, keep up the great research and work, thats the only way these cars will stay on the road with out black tape over the warning lights, I wonder who got paid off at the NHTSA to let gm put a tape fix on it.... :eek: :unsure:;). witch was pure :poop::poop:., I dont quite understand the 1 year warranty on a safety item that was recalled either....Ive put about 5 000 miles on my car since I bought it in early 2019, that seat has probably 2 times been sat in since the repair.....now thats some quality:poop: perhaps Ill give the 360 guys a call/email with my sr# and see what they say.. I dont like paying for things that dont do what they are supposed to do...kinda like the us government :eek: :unsure: :rolleyes:, oops my kid is a us diplomat.....abroad, way away from this **** storm.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts