Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2 Posts
Has anyone been successful at all pressing GM to pay for a full repair after the initial/temporary "fix" is out of the 1-year warranty? I just bought my Solstice and this came up days later. The original repair (reinforcement only) was in 2018, but it's only been driven a bit over 2,000 miles since then and I believe the passenger seat was, at best, rarely used during that time (purchased from my late grandfather).

Would B0081 symptom 71 be present when the mat is broken? Just want to confirm I shouldn't be looking elsewhere before changing the mat myself or taking it to a dealer.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,570 Posts
mine was patched in 19 or 20,and lasted about 20 sits. IMHO the NHTSA is responsible for repairing them corectly since they made a deal with gm to duct tape patch them. try contacting the NHTSA to get a 3rd recall. Ive tried but non of the links seem to work...

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 2007 GXP and have a service airbag light on. Is that an error that any of you have dealt with?
I moved this post into the thread about the PPS recall because the most likely cause of your problem is the Passenger Presence Sensor.

Your first step should be to get the fault code read to find out the actual cause. If it is the PPS your local GM dealer will likely replace the sensor for no charge as part of the recall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I moved this post into the thread about the PPS recall because the most likely cause of your problem is the Passenger Presence Sensor.

Your first step should be to get the fault code read to find out the actual cause. If it is the PPS your local GM dealer will likely replace the sensor for no charge as part of the recall.

Wow, that is great advice, thanks and enjoy your Solstice, I love mine! 2007 GXP Mean Yellow, 15K miles, clean and original everything... Thanks again
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
another note,if you replace the pad, be sure to keep the old one. just encase you or somebody like me needs one...like for the driver side witch is NLA. and mine was shreaded by a big fat a$$ ploping down into it.( not mine,I just bought it like that 2 months ago& trying to glur it back to geather...and use the blown air bag as extra reenforcment.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
any body have any expearance with these???it would be nice if it was switchable...

Pontiac Solstice Passenger Airbag Seat Occupancy sensor - emulator

Pontiac solstice passenger airbag seat sensor - bypass
Product Condition: New

$79.00
I bought one. The air bag would allegedly deploy, but the warning light remained illuminated. In the end I mailed part of my car to Berlin where it was re-programmed or re-manufactured, or something. I selected the option to have the passenger air bag always on. Except for travelling to Berlin, I did all the work myself.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,581 Posts
another note,if you replace the pad, be sure to keep the old one. just encase you or somebody like me needs one...like for the driver side witch is NLA. and mine was shreaded by a big fat a$$ ploping down into it.( not mine,I just bought it like that 2 months ago& trying to glur it back to geather...and use the blown air bag as extra reenforcment.)
Marksburg don’t buy it. It absolutely did not work with my 2008 Solstice and they have been unresponsive to my emails.
I gave it to another forum member who is working on a solution. (Hopefully that will come to pass)

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
Marksburg don’t buy it. It absolutely did not work with my 2008 Solstice and they have been unresponsive to my emails.
I gave it to another forum member who is working on a solution. (Hopefully that will come to pass)
I think he is referring to the foam seat cushion and using the passenger side, with its inoperative sensor, to replace the torn driver side.

The original (pre-recall) PPS was sold complete with the foam cushion. Post-recall the PPS is a separate part number, but as far as I know, there is not a part number for the foam by itself, and they are not readily available in any case.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I was refering to the foam pad. Ive not seen just the sensor listed. NHTSA owes me a new sensor and installation. They let gm patch it, It is bad.,a patch is not a fix.. might be time for a class action suit against both the NHTSA and GM.

·
Registered
2007 GXP Man. 30k mi.
49 Posts
I just picked up a 2007 GXP with 27k miles on it and the day before I picked it up, the original owner warned me the sensor had just failed (it was fine in the test drive).

My question, why can't we just force the airbag to always be armed? Wouldn't it be better to deploy one when you don't need it, than it not to deploy when you do? Surely all it is looking for is continuity or a reference voltage. We should be able to add a toggle switch and just flip it on and off. Problem with that, would be keeping the computer happy, so it's not always blocking the display information.

·
Registered
6,976 Posts
The sensor's purpose is to detect if the appropriate size person that can tolerate the airbag deployment is in the passenger seat. If someone too physically small such as a petite person, child or baby seat suffers the deployment they can be seriously injured or killed.

So it's a liability issue.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just picked up a 2007 GXP with 27k miles on it and the day before I picked it up, the original owner warned me the sensor had just failed (it was fine in the test drive).

My question, why can't we just force the airbag to always be armed? Wouldn't it be better to deploy one when you don't need it, than it not to deploy when you do? Surely all it is looking for is continuity or a reference voltage. We should be able to add a toggle switch and just flip it on and off. Problem with that, would be keeping the computer happy, so it's not always blocking the display information.
Unfortunately it's a more complex sensor array than a simple switch, and the sensor module verifies the senor mat is working so it's not as simple as wiring around the sensor mat. There are products on the market that attempt to replace the seat sensor module and send the correct messages on the bus to always enable the air bag, but the reviews of the one that claims to work on the Solstice aren't very good.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
dam thats cheep for a stupid question...oh I forgot there are no stupid questions.execpt for the one not asked just before somethen gets AFU. GM needs to replace all PPS with the upgraded one.not a temp patch. how do we make them do that is the real question.

·
Registered
2007 GXP Man. 30k mi.
49 Posts
I went to a GM dealership in Mooresville, NC about the airbag sensor/matrix issue in my 2007 GXP (in June, 2022). They ran my VIN and said the fix had already been applied, therefore it was going to cost me $1500 to get a new cushion + matrix and have them install it ($600 for the parts, $900 for labor....). I almost pissed myself, when I heard that number, I already had to pay $90+ just to find out it's actually the sensor. I told them I'd figure it out on my own and went off searching for a new cushion + matrix. For $1600, I can buy an HP Tuner and have Kappa Customs tune the thing, and still have ~$500 left over.

I find one on Ebay for about $300 and when I went to install the thing, I find the current sensor has a date of April 2007! Unless GM was pulling new old stock in 2019 (when it was claimed to have been fixed), I am left wondering if the dealership lied to me. I actually talked to the manager of the GM Service Center in Mooresville and they assured me, "GM has no responsibility to replace that matrix, if it has either been repaired or replaced prior."

Note: The original sensor had no tape on it, I can't tell they did anything.

I put in the replacement cushion + matrix and turned her on, still had the warning light + audible alert :unsure: I call another GM dealership (Earnhardt Chevrolet in Newton, NC), one I have extensive relationships and experience with. They told me to bring her by and they'd reset the air bag sensor and apply the pre-load, which was another $115. After they did that, the new sensor worked perfectly. I don't have a problem paying dealerships for this work, considering it's an airbag, but the first dealership really felt like a money grab.

GM should have fixed this issue for real, on the first go round. From what I heard from Earnhardt, it's pretty much the only reason they see Solstice and Skys coming in.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts