Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So another bit of Solstice minutiae? 2009 cars had plain caps?

Any other 2009 owners - what caps you got? Is it another coupe thing, perhaps?
So I looked up on Nalley, and 2009's have a different part number... #15187371.

A search on google throws this pic up from FactoryOEM. Flat face, but will a flex-plastic strip retainer for the cap. Is that the same for you Bill?

Mine is made from harder plastic with a proper spring-loaded hinge - seems they cheaped out for '09. I like mine better :) (only image I could find, ignore the 'prop' staple:

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
TS, how did you get such a high gloss finish out of it? My clear coat always comes out a little matte. Did you have to sand and buff?
Yep. 1500, 2500 wet sand and then polish.

·
Registered
125 Posts
TS,

Could you post a pic a little further out from the cockpit? It's just a little too close to get an idea of the contrast. It seems like a lot of Brazen in the image you provided, but it might look about perfect against the remainder of the interior.

I’ve disliked the light gray from the get-go as well and wanted to do a flat or satin black, generally to match the rest of the interior, but a splash of color might be ok provided it suits my subtle tastes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Could you post a pic a little further out from the cockpit? It's just a little too close to get an idea of the contrast. It seems like a lot of Brazen in the image you provided, but it might look about perfect against the remainder of the interior.
Sure, but it might have to wait a while. Freezing and overcast today... needs to wait until it's at least a bit brighter out :)

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Wow, that really looks great! Kudo's for a great idea that made your car unique! I also have a Brazen but I don't have your skills to make that happen. Congrats and thanks for posting the Pic!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep, looks about perfect against the rest of the interior: just enough color. Much better than the gray. More tasteful than most of the interior color modifications that I've seen, IMHO. Color match appears identical.

Very nice job. If I didn't know better, I might've thought it came like that from the factory.

Thanks for posting that 2nd pic!

·
Registered
125 Posts
What brand of paint did you use for the matte black portions? In the picture it looks to match the color and sheen of the rest of the dash. Did you need to sand or polish the black after application to get the match so close, or is the picture making it look better than it does up close?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
What brand of paint did you use for the matte black portions? In the picture it looks to match the color and sheen of the rest of the dash. Did you need to sand or polish the black after application to get the match so close, or is the picture making it look better than it does up close?
It is slightly blacker than the dash, but only very slightly. I actually like it that way - gives just a slight touch of contrast that looks good. The sheen, however, is a perfect match - very pleased with that as well.

Its just Krylon 'Dual Superbond' 8831 Flat Black. I got it at AdvanceAuto, but it's readily available at Home Depot, Walmart, etc. I was worried it would be too 'flat' - which is usually an issue as that tends to polish if rubbed, but it turned out to be more 'slight-semi-flat' in the end :)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That shot does it a whole lot more justice Mark.

I use flat black on stuff all the time if I'm looking for a matte finish. goes on easy and smooth and all you have to do it let it dry and it will buff out to a low sheen with just a dry cloth.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
So another bit of Solstice minutiae? 2009 cars had plain caps?

Any other 2009 owners - what caps you got? Is it another coupe thing, perhaps?
Plain cap...

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
TS, You should do the gray pieces on the steering wheel as well :)

That said, I love it. When I get some free time I'm going to bust out my extra boomerang and start working on it.

Quick question though. Did you bevel the edges around your seat heater buttons to match the rest of the knobs? It looks factory!

Also, what is that screen to the lower right of your steering wheel?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
TS, You should do the gray pieces on the steering wheel as well :)

That said, I love it. When I get some free time I'm going to bust out my extra boomerang and start working on it.

Quick question though. Did you bevel the edges around your seat heater buttons to match the rest of the knobs? It looks factory!

Also, what is that screen to the lower right of your steering wheel?
I actually started to do the steering wheel trim (I have scratched/used spares) but then a friend pointed out it would start to look 'ricer'. So I'm rethinking what to do there now.

Yes, the switches were designed to look 'factory' and I beveled the holes in the boomerang - which was a lot more difficult to get right than I expected!

The screen is an UltraGuage - very nice and cheap addition - on a custom DIY mount... Custom Ultragauge mount

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

21 - 40 of 55 Posts