Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
TS, bumping this necro thread back up for a question. You said that the top portion of the boomerang is textured plastic, do you think it's possible to sand it smooth, or even possible to apply a plastic filler to it and then sand it smooth?

I'd like to apply a water transfer pattern to the boomerang, but don't like the idea that the textured part would show up in the water transfer pattern.

BTW, anyone know the dash part number, didn't have any luck finding it on Nally part site. TIA

My first jeep was a base TJ with black plastic textured flares. I wanted them color match so took them to a body shop, after getting them back several weeks later the bodyman told me he'd never do it again because sanding the texture out of the plastic took to much time. Then on top of that I found out afterwards that the base TJ flares weren't as wide as the Sahara or Rubicon flares. My next Jeep TJ I wanted in the color of silver, but Jeep wasn't offering the Sahara in silver that year. So I bought a silver sport with the thinner black plastic flares, then bought some wider Sahara flares and had them color matched silver (along w/the Sahara lower rocker panel trim piece). Luckily, the Sahara flares were molded smooth, so no extra sanding to get them smooth for paint. Still miss that Jeep, but not the bad gas mileage. Of course the four inch lift and 35 tires didn't help. But damn it look good, even painted the hardtop matching silver.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I would say it would be fairly easy to sand or fill the texture. The plastic is easily thick enough to sand, and it's a fairly hard plastic, so won't clog the paper and so should not be difficult.

New ones are shown here (#7) for $155: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=389881&ukey_make=1030&ukey_model=14651&modelYear=2008

I have the old one that I could probably sell you (say $75 plus ship)... but it has the old switches mounted in it for my seat heaters, so you either need to add the heaters :))) or fill the holes...

·
Registered
410 Posts
How is the face plate removed from the radio? Decided on removing my boomerang once more to paint the top portion black (since the red is reflecting off the windshield in the Florida sun) and going to do another wet sand and polish to fix up a few spots. Might as well paint the radio now. lol

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The faceplate assembly is easy - a couple of screws each side and some clips around the periphery.

The circuit board inside that has a number of screws and also clips around the knobs. Then the individual buttons are clipped into the face (take note of which one goes where, they are ALL different - even though some look alike!): http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/i-need-dash-removal-diy-project-now-finished-painted-dash-54066/index3.html#post812607

However, the transparent window is glued in. You can either push it out and glue it back after, or just mask around it. This is the post showing how I took mine out: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/migrated-my-old-solstice-radio-faceplate-my-new-sky-usb-radio-62652/index2.html#post946562

41 - 46 of 46 Posts