·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
UltraGauge just told me I have code P0010 pending. Sigh. Please lay your bets:

1. Solenoid
2. Crank sensor
3. Neither, it will just go away

Oh, and who's holding the kitty?
The odds are definitely in favor of it being the solenoid. Have you replaced either of them previously?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I am picking #3 because that’s how it always goes.
When you are expecting it ... nothing!

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,683 Posts
it could also be a cam position sensor, the code is a generic code for the timing not being correct between the crank and one of the cams. It would have been nice if they indicated which cam that is not right. The code is for bank 1 but seeing as how these cars only have one bank it really doesn't narrow things down at all.

Chances are it's the solenoids, I would think that if here was an issue with either the crank or a cam sensor that here would be a code thrown specifically for the sensor along with the code you have.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently it's #3. I cleared the pending code, and so far it hasn't come back. Obviously it's just a matter of time :(

·
Super Moderator
16,744 Posts
My observation is that the cam servos tend to go out of tolerance randomly and return to normal operation. This is why it was so challenging to identify them as the source of the hard shifts. Maybe just pull one and inspect the screen to see if its contaminated? Clean it off and put it back and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2006 Solstice, 2.4l L4 NA
20 Posts
Since this code isn't specific to either actuator, it could be an electrical issue affecting both. Then again, they are getting to be about that age where they begin to fail unless you've previously replaced them.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
#1....is this for a beverage at NASSAM??? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hope it's not #2. I replaced mine a while back. Unless you have a great back, are very limber and have skinny fingers, it is not a fun job. And it didn't solve my problem.

I have a complete Cloyes balance shaft and timing chain kit sitting on the bench next to my Sol. It still might not solve my P0010 (and others) but at 200K, I figure it's due. Now for motivation.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not #2. When the crankshaft position sensor fails, the car will barely run. The most likely DTC when it's starting to fail would be a P0300 (Random misfire) or possibly P0301–4. The ECU interprets fluctuations in the crankshaft's rotational speed as misfires, so when the sensor starts giving it bad data, it reports a misfire. If any of the P0335–9 codes are also present, it may be a wiring issue rather than the sensor itself.

Codes P0010–5 are caused by problems with the camshaft position actuators (aka VVT oil control valves, OCVs or solenoids). P0010–2 implicate the intake actuator (A), while P0013–5 implicate the exhaust actuator (B).

P0010 Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit Shorted/Open (Bank 1)
P0011 Intake Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced (Bank 1)
P0012 Intake Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
P0013 Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit Shorted/Open (Bank 1)
P0014 Exhaust Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced (Bank 1)
P0015 Exhaust Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

P0010 and P0013 indicate the control voltage to the actuator is below the reference voltage for a specific amount of time. While technically an electrical issue, it also happens when the valve isn't functioning correctly, but if no timing issue is reported (i.e. P0011–2 or P0014–5), the problem is almost certainly electrical. The best way to test the actuators is to go out and buy an OBD II/CAN scan tool that has a command mode or component test feature. This allows you to tell the ECU to command the actuators to open and evaluate the response. Barring that, you just need to clear the codes and drive the car, bearing in mind that VVT comes into play at high RPM.

If you consistently see only either P0010 or P0013, you're probably looking at an actuator that's starting to fail, but it isn't bad enough to affect the valve timing (and turn on the engine light). You can either replace the actuators or wait and see what happens. But if you're seeing BOTH P0010 AND P0013, you have issues. While it's common practice to replace both actuators at once, they very rarely fail at the same time and the same way. Something other than the actuators is causing the control voltages to deviate from the reference voltage. It might be a wiring issue, but it's probably the ECU. Remember, this is extremely rare and only happens when BOTH P0010 and P0013 are consistently present but none of the timing errors are.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow! Excellent and informative post, thanks!

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
837 Posts
there cheep and eazely changed. and made a world of differnace when I changed mine. and i had the 0014 code. both ratteled like hell when I got them out like the springs were dead/ broken....(55000 miles,dealer had cleared the codes before I bought it as it came on a few miles from the dealer.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
there cheep and eazely changed. and made a world of differnace when I changed mine. and i had the 0014 code. both ratteled like hell when I got them out like the springs were dead/ broken....(55000 miles,dealer had cleared the codes before I bought it as it came on a few miles from the dealer.)
I agree. I got both on Amazon for $26.99. You can probably get them cheaper, but I had them the next day, and it was a very easy job. I didn't notice much difference in performance, but it stopped throwing the P0013 and P0014 codes.

BTW, I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but it's easy to mix them up, because they look identical except for the color of the electrical plug, but the color coding isn't standardized. I recommend opening and installing them one at a time. Exhaust goes on the right (towards the exhaust manifold), intake on the left.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,683 Posts
The plugs are keyed so the wires will only connect to the one it is supposed to. Now.. you can insert the solenoid into the wrong hole in the head (get yer mind out the gutter), that would be a whole different set of issues if you did that.

Exhaust solenoid on the right, intake on the left (as seen when sitting in the drivers seat)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts