Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently stuck in Iraq with a return date of late July early Aug--ish. When will dealers start taking delivery of the first 09's???

Also are the coupes expected out early or will they be out later in the model year? I have seen no info on the Pontiac site.

Any Rumors or truth out there?

And will the Military discount be available next year?

Thanks

Mike

·
Administrator
9,182 Posts
I am currently stuck in Iraq with a return date of late July early Aug--ish. When will dealers start taking delivery of the first 09's???

Also are the coupes expected out early or will they be out later in the model year? I have seen no info on the Pontiac site.

Thanks

Mike
The Coupes will not be coming out until sometime in 2009 - production to start mid-January IIRC. The Coupe will actually be a 2010 model year.

·
5,641 Posts
Viper_595 said:
I'll take this part of the question.

It would surprise me if GM did not continue the recently announced GM Military Discount Pricing Program into the next "incentive year", which starts October 1st. WOuld be a lot of work for just 6 months.

:patriot: Stay well.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Thanks

Mike
I'm sure I speak for everyone on here, thanks for your service to our country!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses.

I guess I need to get in touch with a few dealers stateside since GM no longer participates in the overseas sales program.

One more question. There is a good possibility I will be taking the car to Germany in early 09. I did a search but could not find amt examples of moda to alow the mounting of the European plate. (longer and thiner) Has anyone seen one?

Mike

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
The front plate would be an easy mod, not sure about the rear. I suspect you will get the GXP version so you can play with her on the autobon

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,222 Posts
Jan of 2009 I believe would still be a 2009 model I'm pretty sure. The switch over production in Late june or early July.
Might be a 2009, it might be a 2010. I'm just reported what has been posted as a startup date. Figure first deliveries to dealers/customers in early March, 2009. Didn't they call the first Skys 2007s when they started making delivery to customers in March, 2006?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Might be a 2009, it might be a 2010. I'm just reported what has been posted as a startup date. Figure first deliveries to dealers/customers in early March, 2009. Didn't they call the first Skys 2007s when they started making delivery to customers in March, 2006?

Yes, thats why I'm pretty sure it will be a 2009 because it would be made before the new model year which would switch over around July 4th of 2009 to the 210 model.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,222 Posts
Yes, thats why I'm pretty sure it will be a 2009 becaause it would be made before the new model year which would switch over around July 4th of 2009 to the 210 model.
I've been thinking about it as a 2009. When Moms called it a 2010 was the first I ever thought about it. Who knows 'til the official announcement?

How have you been? I haven't seen you around much here lately! Welcome back!

·
Administrator
9,182 Posts
I've been thinking about it as a 2009. When Moms called it a 2010 was the first I ever thought about it. Who knows 'til the official announcement?

How have you been? I haven't seen you around much here lately! Welcome back!
I've seen it "tagged" as 2009 Solstice Coupe but I've also seen press releases that stated 2010 Model year. Guess all info will be proven out in just a few more months! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Once upon a time, the model year began on September 1 or October 1. Now, though, it can begin as early as January 2. U.S. federal law merely requires the model year to include January 1 of the calendar year.

The term “model year” with reference to any specific calendar year means the manufacturer’s annual production period (as determined by the Administrator) which includes January 1 of such calendar year.
US CODE: Title 42,7521. Emission standards for new motor vehicles or new motor vehicle engines

In other words, if you start making it on January 1, 2009, you've got to call it a 2009. Anything after that can technically be called a '10
(as long as production will include January 1, 2010).

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,222 Posts
Once upon a time, the model year began on September 1 or October 1. Now, though, it can begin as early as January 2. U.S. federal law merely requires the model year to include January 1 of the calendar year.

US CODE: Title 42,7521. Emission standards for new motor vehicles or new motor vehicle engines

In other words, if you start making it on January 1, 2009, you've got to call it a 2009. Anything after that can technically be called a '10.
Only in the United States . . . I can't fully believe we have a Federal law defining what comprises a model year. :willy: :brentil: :willy:

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the Info,

I E-mailed a few dealers in the Savannah GA area where I am stationed out of. One has emailed back. No word on Pricing or his dealerships allocations. Which is no surprise after reading the thread Small Dealer posted.

But as I start to talk figures how much over invoice have the GXP's been gong for? Obviously I would like to get a good deal but I would think I would loose most of my bargaining power if I want to be first in line. And I don't want to miss out on a slot because I was trying to cut too far into their profit. Any Ideas?

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Obviously I would like to get a good deal but I would think I would loose most of my bargaining power if I want to be first in line. And I don't want to miss out on a slot because I was trying to cut too far into their profit. Any Ideas?

Mike
That just the traditional balancing act. I'm getting the idea there isn't a line forming, really. It's just tough trying to get them to deliver the car YOU want to buy rather than what THEY want to sell you.

So, make 'em hungry. I wish late last year I'd truly understood how to explain the car I wanted, because I did get one dealer chompin' at the bit, they just kept turning up with the WRONG cars, and if I'd known how to unquestionably describe the right car in Pontiac terms I might have gotten it. This forum has been a big help with that, by the way. They sure were coming up with some PRICING, I was going to get one of the remaining new '07's under $20k with the AC. It just wasn't a ZOK.

They won't be hungry for your business while you're in Iraq, because you can't buy yet anyway. Nice to have it waiting when you get back, but that's at a price. When you're back, and there's a DANGER of you buying something else, they start sitting up at night worrying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts