Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would I be able to pre order an automatic at a pontiac dealer at the current moment? Also what is the deposit amount for pre orders in genreal?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
madmac9 said:
Would I be able to pre order an automatic at a pontiac dealer at the current moment? Also what is the deposit amount for pre orders in genreal?
No, and yes. No:The dealer cannot place an order for anything that is constrained (automatic, chrome wheels, OnStar, two tone interior with red&green) until Pontiac updates their ordering screens. Yes: you can place an open order with the dealer for anything that eventually be available, but your order will sit on the sales manager's desk until that stuff is off constraint. Deposits required are all over the map from $2000 down to $0, yes, ZERO!!! Deposit amount required is dealer/customer relationship, there is not set amount from GM. Whatever constitutes a valid sales contract in your state should suffice, if that is a firm handshake with a small town dealer or $100, or even $2000, if you are comfortable with the dealer and their ability to get you your car, that's what counts most. It does seem that the average is about $500. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not sure about the available options, but if a dealer accepts any money from you it is enough to retain a sale agreement. In the past I have deposited as little as $50 but that was for a car on the lot and the deal had to wait a few days.. Prep, Financing, that kind of stuff. I have never ordered a car from the manufacturer before, but I would not feel comfort giving such a small amount for a deposit. $500.00 seems to be the standard based on what I'm reading and that's what I'll do as well.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Just a heads up, but there are not going to be any automatic Solstices at launch. They are all manuals. So you may be waiting a while before you can actually get an automatic. They will be offering one at some point, but there are no official details as to when it will actually be available.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I could take an order but it would be on paper and not in the system. Fformula8 is correct all of the Solstices at introduction will be offered with only a manual. I do not have an exact date as to when the automatic will be available.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I heard sometime in febuary for autos is a good time frame of when they are going to come out

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Get your MSRP in writing at the time you place your deposit

madmac9 said:
Also what is the deposit amount for pre orders in genreal?
On the subject of placing a deposit, that's a good time to get an agreement in writing to purchase the vehicle at MSRP with no dealer or market markups.

I discuss this in the following post: Non-EOP thread on Ordering: Be sure to get your MSRP in writing...

Take the following form with you to the dealer BEFORE you give them your deposit.
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for $500 in deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -dealer-name- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased through either the Early Order (First 1000) program or a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation.

Signed:

Once you give them your deposit, and you have nothing in writing saying MSRP, you'll be subject to the mood and market pressures of the dealer at the time you can finally place the order for the automatic Solstice. As I have said before, AFTER you have given them your money, they will have almost NO incentive to agree to MSRP without markups.

As noted in the linked form, above, a fairly standard deposit amount is $500, but as others have posted in this thread, it varies.

Best of luck! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts