Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flash News in the August 15th AutoWeek says Pontiac expects to fill all 10,000 pre-orders by December.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That's an aggresive goal, let's hope they can do it :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Guess I'm confused as to what are "pre-orders". I mean... does that mean only the 1st allocation vehicles from every dealer, or all the orders which were placed by a certain date.

I stopped by to see my dealer last week and she was out at an HHR ride and drive event. I spoke to the sales manager. I've suddenly been moved from #2 on the list, to #5. Sales manager couldn't produce orders on paper with a date earlier than mine, however he assured me I'm actually #5 and not #2. I've never had a problem with this dealer in the past, but I'm not all that happy.

Problem is my dealer only has 2 vehicles in the first 4 month allocation. So, I'm expecting I'm now in their 3rd allocation (which is really upsetting me as I was fifth at a dealer with 4 vehicles in the first allocation prior). I ordered my car in April... will I get mine before December. Somehow I doubt it. My dealer has only been able to place one order so far (last week on the first non EOP allocation, that's why I stopped by since I was hoping my order was going in that morning) out of their 2 allocations.

What is the "9,000" pre-orders actually consist of? 1st allocation orders, or anybody who placed an order prior to a certain date. Since my car hasn't even been ordered yet, GM doesn't know my order is out there... or I'm a misunderstanding something here?

I'm thinking at this point I'll have a 50% down payment before I see the car since I've started paying myself my car payment well over a year ago when I knew for sure I was going to be getting the car... so if I can't get a first year Solstice, I might have to be first in line for the Turbo version now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
so, what the :devil: happened to you? why did you get moved DOWN? i would go and tell that dealer to ^%&* &*^ and then i would tell him *&^%$&*^ ... :glol: :glol: :glol:

just kidding man.. but seriuosly...(seriously).. what ever.. what happened.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think these order figures (9,000, 10,000) are everyone who put down money so they could stretch over 1 or 2 or more allocations.

Sucks they screwed up your place in line.

·
5,641 Posts
What it all means is that Pontiac hopes to build almost 9000+ Solstices before the year end. That happens to be approximately how many orders they have in dealer order banks and that have already been "picked up". So they should know about your order rlhammon, since there is no reason the dealer shouldn't have put it into VOMS to sit in their order bank.

Now the tricky parts is that if they do build 9,000 cars, they may actually not build the 9,000 orders that they have. Some of these orders represent orders past the first and even secound rounds of allocations.

So if as you think, you have fallen to the dealers third allocation, you order could be one of the 9,000 orders but not one of the 9,000 cars built.

·
Registered
245 Posts
jester316 said:
so, what the :devil: happened to you? why did you get moved DOWN? i would go and tell that dealer to ^%&* &*^ and then i would tell him *&^%$&*^ ... :glol: :glol: :glol:

just kidding man.. but seriuosly...(seriously).. what ever.. what happened.
i think that this ended up in the wrong thread...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Small Dealer said:
What it all means is that Pontiac hopes to build almost 9000+ Solstices before the year end. That happens to be approximately how many orders they have in dealer order banks and that have already been "picked up". So they should know about your order rlhammon, since there is no reason the dealer shouldn't have put it into VOMS to sit in their order bank.

Now the tricky parts is that if they do build 9,000 cars, they may actually not build the 9,000 orders that they have. Some of these orders represent orders past the first and even secound rounds of allocations.

So if as you think, you have fallen to the dealers third allocation, you order could be one of the 9,000 orders but not one of the 9,000 cars built.

9000 orders are picked up? Are you sure? My dealer still has 6 first allocation orders athat haven't been picked up.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Small Dealer said:

This is the part that really bugs me. You can have an order in and money down, some guy can go to a dealer someplace else months later, hel will get a car, and you might never get yours. It just seems like a messed up business plan. :(

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Small Dealer said:
My guess is I'm now on their third allocation (they got 2 for the first, I'm *guessing* they will continue with two on every allocation)... so being 5th in line now means 3rd allocation.

Thanks for the explanation... that's exactly what I was afraid of. I have a VOM number, so I guess GM *knows* about my order, but as you say doesn't mean I'll be in that group of the first 9,000 / 10,000 or whatever it is.

I'll be calling other dealers in my area, and neighboring states to see if I can find someone who has a better spot...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Stevie said:
5,000 would be believeable...but 10,000??? I'm going to say no way...at least not this year.
Only at current production rates. Give them time to ramp up we are only at the end of week 5 of REAL production. :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
They plan to get up to full capacity "soon"....whatever "soon" means.

7 cars/hour * 8 hours/shift * 2 shifts/day = 112 cars/day

112 cars * 5 work days/week = 560 cars/week (or is it 7 works day, gmld?)

weeks between now and december 31: 20

560 cars/week * 20 weeks = 11,200

Holy cow, batman! It CAN be done!!!! (if they are up to full production today)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just got some news yesterday that my order, even thought I placed it about April 21, may not have been placed after all. My dealer has even gone as far as cashing my deposite. I have contacted Pontiac, and they said they will look in on this problem, when the new car sales manager gets back from vacation, which he seems never to be in when I call. One of the managers there, and don't ask me what he manages, reassured me the order was put in or they would not have cashed my deposite. However, he could not check on my order, because he does not know how to get into the ordering system!! The order number they gave me,which was giving to me by the used car manager who said he is not sure if it is right, is invalid or not placed on order. You talk about a cluster you know what. All I want is my car and they will never see me again. I will take the car to another dealer for warranty work on the car, so now I have to wait till Monday to see if I'm even getting a car!!!! :willy: :brentil: :cuss: :cryin: :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
9000 orders are picked up? Are you sure? My dealer still has 6 first allocation orders athat haven't been picked up.
I'm on the side that all these orders are not picked up. Cricket said in another post after looking up 200 orders that it seemed that only April & May orders were in system.

Also factor in the PR/marketing effect. If you were GM and you had let's say 3,000 order picked up and another 7,000 in the pipe but with money down...which figure would you announce to the press :devil:

·
5,641 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
12:20 AM, need to use a little Visine on those eyes.

Small Dealer said:
That happens to be approximately how many orders they have in dealer order banks and that have already been "picked up".
Notice the "and" in there. Not all 9,000 orders have been "picked up", most are still in dealer order banks.

·
5,641 Posts
Editguy said:
This is the part that really bugs me. You can have an order in and money down, some guy can go to a dealer someplace else months later, he will get a car, and you might never get yours. It just seems like a messed up business plan. :(

You have it backwards, it is allocation that allows you to have a chance to get your order.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts