Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called my dealer, because I have not been updated on the status of my order since I ordered back in June. I was told the following about their preorder procedure.

-I do not have a VOM, VIN or car assigned to me.
-They utilized the most asked for options/colors to option out all the Solstices they were allocated, then ordered random combinations.
-Some cars are fully optioned (25k), some have fewer options, typically to include Power, Convience, Air (22-24k).
-They expect some cars within the next 2 weeks. Their total first allocation is in the mid 20 range. So, they are getting a lot of cars, but don't have a ton of preorders.
-They'll call the first person on the preorder list when the first car comes in, regardless of it's colors and options, and regardless of what the first person "ordered" (preferenced?).
-If that person says they'll pass based on the options/color, they'll ask the next person.

What do you guys think of this procedure? How would you feel if you were like me and placed $500 to not have a car assigned to you without the exact specifications you wanted?

At first I was a bit upset that I wouldnt get the car the way I wanted. However, I was fairly conservative with the options I preferenced when I "preordered" the car, but now I'd rather have some options like upgraded stereo and leather that I didn't ask for. I'm open to a lot of color options, so all the while I've been expecting a Mysterious and could end up with an offer for a Sly... and I'd be okay with that.

Consider finally, that if I know how allocations work, it might be possible for #3 at a dealer, whose dealer actually put the order in (he has a VIN and VOM), to get his car before #1, simply because that order got pushed through the system first. At least my dealers way gives the first guy the option, because after all, he was the first to show interest.

I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to rationalize a bad dealer practice since I'm stuck with it. I've been entirely patient with this process, and this different way of handling Solstice preorders may test my patience even more!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
naoki said:
I just called my dealer, because I have not been updated on the status of my order since I ordered back in June. I was told the following about their preorder procedure.

-I do not have a VOM, VIN or car assigned to me.
-They utilized the most asked for options/colors to option out all the Solstices they were allocated, then ordered random combinations.
-Some cars are fully optioned (25k), some have fewer options, typically to include Power, Convience, Air (22-24k).
-They expect some cars within the next 2 weeks. Their total first allocation is in the mid 20 range. So, they are getting a lot of cars, but don't have a ton of preorders.
-They'll call the first person on the preorder list when the first car comes in, regardless of it's colors and options, and regardless of what the first person "ordered" (preferenced?).
-If that person says they'll pass based on the options/color, they'll ask the next person.

What do you guys think of this procedure? How would you feel if you were like me and placed $500 to not have a car assigned to you without the exact specifications you wanted?

At first I was a bit upset that I wouldnt get the car the way I wanted. However, I was fairly conservative with the options I preferenced when I "preordered" the car, but now I'd rather have some options like upgraded stereo and leather that I didn't ask for. I'm open to a lot of color options, so all the while I've been expecting a Mysterious and could end up with an offer for a Sly... and I'd be okay with that.

Consider finally, that if I know how allocations work, it might be possible for #3 at a dealer, whose dealer actually put the order in (he has a VIN and VOM), to get his car before #1, simply because that order got pushed through the system first. At least my dealers way gives the first guy the option, because after all, he was the first to show interest.

I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to rationalize a bad dealer practice since I'm stuck with it. I've been entirely patient with this process, and this different way of handling Solstice preorders may test my patience even more!
I would go to the dealer get my money back, tell them to go to hell, and get a turbo nex year. This is crazy what the're doing. How did they take your money if they didn't order the exact car you wanted.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
deluke said:
I would go to the dealer get my money back, tell them to go to hell, and get a turbo nex year. This is crazy what the're doing. How did they take your money if they didn't order the exact car you wanted.
:agree:

this dealer simply knows he can sell these cars...and doesnt want to go thru the hassle of preordering for a customer..which to me is lousy customer service....he will get them in..he will sell them....my question is...if the first guy states NO..he doesnt want the car offered to him....does he get the right of first refusal when the next one comes in????

I still say..RUN AWAY!!!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
naoki said:
Consider finally, that if I know how allocations work, it might be possible for #3 at a dealer, whose dealer actually put the order in (he has a VIN and VOM), to get his car before #1, simply because that order got pushed through the system first.
That scenario should almost never happen. All the orders from the same dealer can be sorted by the dealer to be built in the order given. The one instance where something like this might happen is if there are constraints on a particular option (like leather or convenience package). Then an order might pass you up if they ordered theirs without that option. However, it wouldn't be uncommon for one dealer's #3 order to get picked up prior to another smaller dealer's #1 order.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was at a mall in Rochester this morning and happened to see a Pontiac display set up in the parking lot.. They had a bunch of new vehicles there and lo and behold was a black Sol w/black leather seats..loaded. I had a conversation with the sales mgr. concerning my order 6/1from my dealership 50 miles away, and not even having an event # yet. He smiled and said that the whole ordering process is screwed-up. He has had 8 ordered and three delivered, none of which were 1K's. How can this happen? This particular one was not for sale!! Just for show. Again how did they get this before all the 1k's have been delivered?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
RamJet said:
He has had 8 ordered and three delivered, none of which were 1K's. How can this happen?
I'd say that's an extremely unusual situation. However, we have heard of a portion of the first 1000 cars which were held back after production for more inspections and/or corrections. One member even reported that their car made it almost to the dealer while in transit, but was recalled to the factory for some reason and was then kept at the plant for weeks before finally being released. Some "teething" problems are to be expected in the beginning, but I'm sure it must be frustrating for those owners. For instance, Mceb's car was produced the very first week of production, yet he just got his car recently ... more than a month after some of the others.

·
Registered
127 Posts
However unusual it is, it's still confusing to us who have ordered and still wait to here anything. That aside, the car is a beauty. The finish was great and everything fit like a glove (a glove being the only thing to fit in the trunk with the top down!!). The poor sales mgr. didn't even know how to get the hood up to look at the engine. He was surprised when I told him he could pick up a few pointers by reading the Forum. I eventually showed him how to open the hood! I'm wondering if anything has been discussed about an aftermarket luggage rack for carrying item when the top is down. I can't recall anthing on the forum recently.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We shall see how it all pans out, Florida has a lot of Solstices coming it's way soon it appears from what I'm hearing from everyone else in the area... I can take a chance with the current dealer, or put an order in for a year from now.

Another interesting development... my dealer also appears to have a Solstice on Autotrader now... hmm...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
naoki said:
We shall see how it all pans out, Florida has a lot of Solstices coming it's way soon it appears from what I'm hearing from everyone else in the area... I can take a chance with the current dealer, or put an order in for a year from now.

Another interesting development... my dealer also appears to have a Solstice on Autotrader now... hmm...

the autotrader issues has been addressed before..seems most dealers have an automated dump to autotrader from their own inventory listings...so though it shows...I bet the solstice is a preorder..and is already sold...dont understand why they do this...seems a waste of resources for the dealerships

·
Registered
976 Posts
What the dealer is doing is trying to get as many cars as possible. He knows he will be able to sell them no matter how they are built and packaged, so he is just entering the orders he knows he can get. What a jerk!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PAO said:
the autotrader issues has been addressed before..seems most dealers have an automated dump to autotrader from their own inventory listings...so though it shows...I bet the solstice is a preorder..and is already sold...dont understand why they do this...seems a waste of resources for the dealerships
Yeah, I'm aware of the autodump thing with autotrader, as I've seen an explosion of new cars on there... BUT this Solstice in particular has photos of the car at the dealership. Search within 75 miles of zip 34747 if you want a look... it also appears they are showing a price above MSRP...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I love it, they are now AUCTIONING their "first Solstice" that they expect to recieve in about 10 days.

The first (and only) Solstice I found today listed in the "orlando area" (from GM Buypower.com) is a DIFFERENT one from the white one pictured on autotrader (also from my dealer), it is a Cool, and guess what dealer it's coming to... mine! And this is the vehicle they intend to auction! Here's the email I got when inquiring about this Cool Sol (I didn't state in the email I was already holding a "preorder" , which appears now to be useless)

"Hey just wanted to let you know that we will have our first solstice in about 10 days. You can view the options on the pontiac website. Just click on locate solstice, type in city and state and you will be able to see our first model. If you have any questions or would like to PLACE A BID on the first solstice email me or call..."

Heading of the email was "Solstice Auction"

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
naoki said:
I love it, they are now AUCTIONING their "first Solstice"
As soon as I read your first post in this thread, I thought your dealer's ordering system was a scheme get around his pre-orders to get cars that he could sell above MSRP :brentil:

Unfortunately, I think deluke and PAO had the best advice - get your money back and find another dealer :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm inclined to agree after the Auction thing, I'm going to head down there with all my emails and raise some hell...

...I think the sadest thing is that they claim to have a high number of first allocation Solstices, which would allude to them being a high-volume, and therefore more respectable dealer... so much for that!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
naoki said:
I'm inclined to agree after the Auction thing, I'm going to head down there with all my emails and raise some hell...

...I think the sadest thing is that they claim to have a high number of first allocation Solstices, which would allude to them being a high-volume, and therefore more respectable dealer... so much for that!
I think just high volume, don't know that tthat would translate to more respectable. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts