Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yall! I am new to this forum, and I for one am very intrigued with the Solistice/ Sky cars to which I think these cars will pull GM out of the doldrums. Having said that has any one found any dealers that are using "flooring charges" to raise the MSRP over the sticker?

·
Registered
251 Posts
grapeknutz said:
Hi yall! I am new to this forum, and I for one am very intrigued with the Solistice/ Sky cars to which I think these cars will pull GM out of the doldrums. Having said that has any one found any dealers that are using "flooring charges" to raise the MSRP over the sticker?

Most of us signed up in April (@15th), at the time I think we all pretty much signed a "blank check", since pricing was at best sketchy. Today, you'll probably just have to shop around, negotiate your best price, and of course, get it in writing, as I believe pricing is now available:yesnod:

·
Registered
72 Posts
grapeknutz said:
i haven't, but if I did, I'd ask if they were nuts? :lol:

·
5,641 Posts
grapeknutz said:
......has any one found any dealers that are using "flooring charges" to raise the MSRP over the sticker?
Explain? How are they raising the sale price higher then the MSRP/Sticker price?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Pricing was available by 2005-04-15... Some dealers completely missed it...

SOL MIO said:
Most of us signed up in April (@15th), at the time I think we all pretty much signed a "blank check", since pricing was at best sketchy. Today, you'll probably just have to shop around, negotiate your best price, and of course, get it in writing, as I believe pricing is now available:yesnod:
The pricing was available some time before 2005-04-15. My dealer had the pricing, and after we got my pending, I sat down with the owner of the dealership (while the fleet manager continued trying to get additional orders into the system) and we priced it out that day.

As has been described in numerous posts, the dealers have been very uneven in their knowledge of the product and the promotion and ordering process/rules. This is through no fault of GM; it seems to be dealers who have missed the communications that GM had sent them by email, FAX, and their "satelite" broadcasts. Even within my dealership, there was a delay in the flow down of the information from the owner to the Fleet Manager, and a further (dramatic) step down to the front line sales staff. Basically, the remainder of the sales staff didn't bother to try to understand the first 1000 promotion until Friday 2005-04-15 10:15:00-07 (about 45 minutes prior to the gate time for the click endurance race of the EOP first 1000 exclusive retail order promotion registration start time [14:00 EDT]) They were skimming and trying to read the rules, and taking away very mixed impressions from a lack of careful reading. (It's hard to read a document as long as the rules and understand it in just a few minutes...)

The point of this is that Sol Mio's exactly right, it's up to you as the consumer to shop around.

Having said this, today, at this late date, you may not be able to find a dealer with any unsold first 4 month allocation. Most dealers have already sold all of the units in that first 4 month allocation, and have waiting lists which may well take them into their 3rd batch of the 4 month allocation "consensus cycles". Translated into English, that means that the majority of dealers have already sold all of the units they are going to have for calendar 2005, and are building wait lists for cars in their 2nd (October 2005/February 2006) and 3rd(February 2006/June 2006) 4 month allocation "consensus cycles". By example, a dealership in Pasadena had (if memory serves) 7 units in the first 4 month allocation (June/October 2005) and at that time had additional 9 people on the waiting list BEYOND those first 7 sold orders, so his wait list was stretched all the way out into the 3rd 4 month cycle, and that was as of about 2005-04-25....

Thus, while it is not impossible to find a dealer, it's going to take a lot of foot work. Most of it, you can do over the phone. Start with the Pontiac.com web site, and put in your zip code in the "Locate Dealers" entry box, then click "GO" next to the box. The first list will be of a few dealers. Now, to expand your radius, click on the "Modify Search" in the header line above the listed dealers.Then, you can use either your zip code, or a city and state and get a list of up to 150 miles from that point.

When you call the dealers, ask the following questions:
  1. Do you know how many units you have in your first 4 month allocation?
  2. Do you have any of those units which are not already sold to customers?
  3. How many folks do you have on the waiting list past that first 4 month allocation?
  4. Are you selling at MSRP?
It will take a lot of phone calls, but when you're calling, it helps to ask to talk to the Fleet Manager. You'll also get a feeling for whether or not you want to do business with the dealership. I would suggest that you do your calls during the regular business week, rather than on weekends. I say this, because often the folks that you might want to talk to, like the Fleet Manager or owner, will not be in the dealership on weekends. Also, don't be afraid to ask the name of the Fleet Manager. Keep notes, and you'll be able to slog your way through the 2800 dealerships in the US, in an ever expanding radius from your residence. Also, don't be afraid to expand your circle out beyond 150 miles--you can make it a road trip.

Don't stop calling with the first dealership who says they have a car and will sell at MSRP. You will want to find at least 2 preferably 3, even if they are very remote from your location.

When you do go to the dealership to place your deposit, take with you the following deposit agreement form. I posted this originally at several other locations, but a recent posting and link to an interesting thread is... link to: Thread = Help me understand the regular allocation order process please, Post = Get your MSRP in writing

Here's the text of the original post:
------------
The time you place your deposit is the perfect time to get an agreement to buy the car at MSRP. After you have given the dealer the deposit, you will not have very much leverage, but if you haven't placed your deposit yet, take a form something like the following with you...

I've posted this a few times before, but it bears a repost...

I discuss this in the following post: Non-EOP thread on Ordering: Be sure to get your MSRP in writing...

Take the following form with you to the dealer BEFORE you give them your deposit.
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for $500 in deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -dealer-name- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased through either the Early Order program or a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation.

Signed:

Once you give them your deposit, and you have nothing in writing saying MSRP, you'll be subject to the mood and market pressures of the dealer at the time you can finally place the order for the automatic Solstice. As I have said before, AFTER you have given them your money, they will have almost NO incentive to agree to MSRP without markups.

Now, the standard disclaimer applies, I am not a lawyer. However, this should give you a starting point to get your MSRP agreement in writing.

Best of luck! :)
-------------
That was a while back, and now, about a month later, the landscape has changed considerably. We're almost 2 months on from the original landslide of customers from 2005-04-15. It's going to be time consuming to find a dealership, but with persistence, there is a remote possibility. Then, too at this time, the dealers with remaining unsold units will probably also be those with very low clue meter readings, thus, you'll probably find a some dealers who will claim to have cars available, but that will just be the bait that the sales person is using to lure you into the dealership. Beware, there are sharks out there.

Now for some sad news. This is all too painful for some of our very own forum members, and members who are dealers: some dealerships received zero cars for the first 4 month allocation. Be very careful when you're trying to find a dealership, the allocations are not uniform.

Again, best of luck, and be prepared to run up a lot of long distance charges, but it is a worthy quest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small Dealer said:
Explain? How are they raising the sale price higher then the MSRP/Sticker price?

My experience with dealers are when a new (hot) car is introduced, the dealers bump up the price 2-4 thousand dollars to the MSRP to maximize profits. (Gouging) This is prevelant in So California. Now that GM is on the ropes are the dealers going to pull the same crap as the always or help GM move units?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't have anything in writing with my dealer just the rules of the EOP for first 1000. They have to sell at MSRP. Any add on to me is against the rules because that would be above MSRP. I did discuss the issue with my dealer and they said they charge a $100 paperwork fee but nothing else. Even though I feel the fee for paperwork is just a way of making a little extra on the deal and i have gotten it wave everytime I buy I wont fight the issue on this car but anyting else would result in a complaint to the program headquaters.

·
5,641 Posts
ateam_77 said:
They have to sell at MSRP. Any add on to me is against the rules because that would be above MSRP.
Been along time since an EOP rules interpetation has come up, ah the good old days of March. Actually it is not against the rules of the EOP for a dealer to sell over MSRP. It is strongly encouraged that the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices be sold at MSRP. It has since been strongly recommended to dealers to sell from regular allocation with out going over MSRP also.

EOP Dealer Rules
9. Vehicle Price:
The base manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the exclusive retail order is $19,995, including destination freight charges and excluding tax, title, license and registration fees, Dealer fees, optional equipment and Dealer-installed equipment. Because a limited number of exclusive retail orders are available, Dealers are strongly encouraged not to sell the vehicle as produced by General Motors for more than MSRP, which does not include tax, title, license, Dealer fees, registration fees and Dealer-installed equipment, if any. If the vehicle is leased, Dealers are strongly encouraged not to set the gross capitalized cost above MSRP, which does not include tax, title, license, Dealer fees and registration fees and any Dealer-installed equipment. The retail purchase price of the vehicle and any Dealer-installed equipment will be determined by the Dealer and its customer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

Hey Small Dealer....I know that you are a dealer in the US but I just noticed that you stated the base price is 19,995.00 including freight.

In Canada the base price on my order is $25,695.00 plus freight of $750.00.
Do you know if freight in Canada should be included in the $25,695.00 or additional to that base price?

Does anyone else know? How about others that have purchased in Canada?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Been along time since an EOP rules interpetation has come up, ah the good old days of March. Actually it is not against the rules of the EOP for a dealer to sell over MSRP. It is strongly encouraged that the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices be sold at MSRP. It has since been strongly recommended to dealers to sell from regular allocation with out going over MSRP also.

EOP Dealer Rules
9. Vehicle Price:
The base manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the exclusive retail order is $19,995, including destination freight charges and excluding tax, title, license and registration fees, Dealer fees, optional equipment and Dealer-installed equipment. Because a limited number of exclusive retail orders are available, Dealers are strongly encouraged not to sell the vehicle as produced by General Motors for more than MSRP, which does not include tax, title, license, Dealer fees, registration fees and Dealer-installed equipment, if any. If the vehicle is leased, Dealers are strongly encouraged not to set the gross capitalized cost above MSRP, which does not include tax, title, license, Dealer fees and registration fees and any Dealer-installed equipment. The retail purchase price of the vehicle and any Dealer-installed equipment will be determined by the Dealer and its customer.
You are right and I did know that thanks to this site but my dealer tells me they have to sell it at MSRP and as long as they think that I am not worried so lets keep this rule under our hats. Price gouging would still prompt me to complain and if that did no good I would not buy. Actually I am not worried be cause I do trust the dealer to follow through because they want me to have this car after all we have been through together. Besides I don't know who they would sell it to, they told me the other day that other than me no one has even inquired about this car and they have a first allotment of one and it is still unsold.

·
5,641 Posts
ateam_77 said:
You are right and I did know that thanks to this site but my dealer tells me they have to sell it at MSRP and as long as they think that I am not worried so lets keep this rule under our hats.
:thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts