Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is long-winded, but I do have some questions at the end of this post.
I am in the process of installing the smoked LED sidemarker lights that are sold on eBay and Amazon.

The driver side turned out nicely.

The passenger side not so much.
I had to use a lot of force to remove the housing.
The clip on the housing that fastens into the hole on the nose of the car broke, and some type of epoxy was visible.

It gets worse.
I drilled into the epoxy in several spots using a 1/16” drill bit to make smaller pieces of the epoxy for easier removal.
When I got all the epoxy out this is what I found.

It looks like I will have to epoxy the LED sidemarker light in the same manner... If it ever has to be removed the fastener clip will break again.

My questions.
Does anyone have any idea how this hole could have been damaged to this extent?
Would Loctite 1999131 all purpose repair putty work to hold the sidemarker clip in place in the hugely oversized hole?
Any alternative ideas on how to fasten the sidemarker to the nose?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i don't know how the light is fastened, you say 'clip'. if it is a 'stud' then i would suggest a stainless steel fender on the inside under the nut, or something that the 'clip' will anchor itself into the center hole. or 2-sided tape instead of 'glue'

Bill

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't know how the light is fastened, you say 'clip'. if it is a 'stud' then i would suggest a stainless steel fender on the inside under the nut, or something that the 'clip' will anchor itself into the center hole. or 2-sided tape instead of 'glue'

Bill
Bill,
Thanks for replying.
Here is a picture showing the broken "clip".

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
It looks like the previous owner tried to remove the side marker without knowing how it fastened into the fender and damaged the fender. Since the new side marker is broken, your best bet may be the double sided tape. The tape will hold it securely and you can remove it later if necessary, unlike the epoxy. Ordinarily, the side marker comes out easily by reaching inside the fender and squeezing the plastic clip on the side marker and the marker comes out easily.

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the previous owner tried to remove the side marker without knowing how it fastened into the fender and damaged the fender. Since the new side marker is broken, your best bet may be the double sided tape. The tape will hold it securely and you can remove it later if necessary, unlike the epoxy. Ordinarily, the side marker comes out easily by reaching inside the fender and squeezing the plastic clip on the side marker and the marker comes out easily.
Bill,
Thanks for the reply.
Any recommendation on a double sided tape that would hold?
I've had mixed results with that over the years... probably not getting things clean enough before applying.

Ya, I had no problem getting the driver side light out.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Bill,
Thanks for the reply.
Any recommendation on a double sided tape that would hold?
I've had mixed results with that over the years... probably not getting things clean enough before applying.

Ya, I had no problem getting the driver side light out.
just about all vehicle emblems are now held on by double side tape (this is to avoid drilling holes...) i suggest you go to a body shop and ask for a piece of tape they would use. you don't want to use anything you can get at a hardware store....

Bill (the other Bill...)

·
Administrator
9,195 Posts
You can get automotive body molding tape at any autoparts store, as well as many hardware and home improvement stores. What you don't want to use is the tape designed for hanging pictures, etc indoors.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
just about all vehicle emblems are now held on by double side tape (this is to avoid drilling holes...) i suggest you go to a body shop and ask for a piece of tape they would use. you don't want to use anything you can get at a hardware store....

Bill (the other Bill...)
I use the 3M tape I buy at Lowes or Home Depot. Word of caution. It is kinda like superglue in one respect. Press it in place correctly the first time because its not going to move.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
189 Posts
I use the 3M tape I buy at Lowes or Home Depot. Word of caution. It is kinda like superglue in one respect. Press it in place correctly the first time because its not going to move.
You can also get the 3M at "any" auto parts store. 3M makes several types - get the one with the gray center. I sort of agree with Bill on one thing. The tape comes in a variety of sizes (3/8, 1/2, etc), and it's easy to trim for a specific spot with a pair of scissors or an xacto knife. I just got done doing a repair on the rubber edge by the battery. 5 minutes and I had a piece that bevels underneath the rubber and can't be seen. But once it's on, either settle for what it looks like or get out the heat gun and loosen it up. It doesn't forgive a rush job very well.

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Bill (the other Bill...)
You can get automotive body molding tape at any autoparts store, as well as many hardware and home improvement stores. What you don't want to use is the tape designed for hanging pictures, etc indoors.
You can also get the 3M at "any" auto parts store. 3M makes several types - get the one with the gray center. I sort of agree with Bill on one thing. The tape comes in a variety of sizes (3/8, 1/2, etc), and it's easy to trim for a specific spot with a pair of scissors or an xacto knife. I just got done doing a repair on the rubber edge by the battery. 5 minutes and I had a piece that bevels underneath the rubber and can't be seen. But once it's on, either settle for what it looks like or get out the heat gun and loosen it up. It doesn't forgive a rush job very well.
Guys,
Thank you all for your replies!
I ended up purchasing this tape.

Applied it like this.

End result.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I feel much better about using the tape vs. epoxy.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
If you ever need to get it off, you can warm it up with a hair dryer, not a heat gun, slip aome dental floss in behind it and saw the tape loose. Or prise it up, gently, with a plastic spudge or bondo spreader that wont scar the paint or lens.

Looks great!!!

·
Registered
2009 GXP
11 Posts
jon72vega, curious when changing out your sidemarker lights to LED if you also changed all other exterior lights to LED and if not, is there a distinct difference in lighting with the LED sidemarkers in contrast to the stock headlights, etc.?

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's it. 3M has a slew of products that are intended for automotive use. DO NOT USE THEM IN PLACE OF YOUR REGULAR HAIR SPRAY.
That was a Darwin award honorable mention for sure.😂

If you ever need to get it off, you can warm it up with a hair dryer, not a heat gun, slip aome dental floss in behind it and saw the tape loose. Or prise it up, gently, with a plastic spudge or bondo spreader that wont scar the paint or lens.

Looks great!!!
I'll keep that in mind if the need for removal ever comes up.

·
Registered
'06 Solstice Base
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jon72vega, curious when changing out your sidemarker lights to LED if you also changed all other exterior lights to LED and if not, is there a distinct difference in lighting with the LED sidemarkers in contrast to the stock headlights, etc.?
I have not changed any other lights out at this point.
The LED side-markers are brighter and fill out the housing more evenly compared to the stock housing and bulb.

·
Premium Member
17,268 Posts
I have gone to all LED lights. As long as you get load resisters or base loaded bulbs for the turns it works great. Without the added load the BCM thinks there is a bulb out and fast flashes

·
Registered
957 Posts
I know this is long-winded, but I do have some questions at the end of this post.
I am in the process of installing the smoked LED sidemarker lights that are sold on eBay and Amazon.

The driver side turned out nicely.

The passenger side not so much.
I had to use a lot of force to remove the housing.
The clip on the housing that fastens into the hole on the nose of the car broke, and some type of epoxy was visible.

It gets worse.
I drilled into the epoxy in several spots using a 1/16” drill bit to make smaller pieces of the epoxy for easier removal.
When I got all the epoxy out this is what I found.

It looks like I will have to epoxy the LED sidemarker light in the same manner... If it ever has to be removed the fastener clip will break again.

My questions.
Does anyone have any idea how this hole could have been damaged to this extent?
Would Loctite 1999131 all purpose repair putty work to hold the sidemarker clip in place in the hugely oversized hole?
Any alternative ideas on how to fasten the sidemarker to the nose?
Use clear RTV. It will hold the marker well, and is easy to remove.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem until I decided to improve my interior. When my husband and I watch movies, we always turn led strips, and this creates a romantic atmosphere. That is why interior designers widely use it in their work. There are many unusual and spectacular ways to use LED strips.This technology is not often found in the interior of ordinary apartments, so it immediately indicates the originality and creativity of the owners.The main thing is to choose a low-brightness ribbon so that your guests don't go blind when entering your apartment. We bought them on LED Strip Light | LED Driver | LED Power Supply | Free Delivery (but, of course, there are many other stores), and it gives a special charm to our apartment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts