Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Dorman 13732 remote key fob at my local Autozone a few weeks ago after reading another post about them here. It was easy to program and operates my locks and trunk just fine. After a few days I started getting a "Key Fob Batt Low" message. Put in a new battery (verified charged to 3.127V with a meter) but still got the same message. Returned the entire unit for another and I'm still getting the same message again after a few days of use.

The dang thing works fine, but I have to dismiss the message on my DIC every time I use the remote before I can see the other displays that I want to see.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there another key fob option that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I've had the same problem with my factory remote with two different batteries. The fob even works from quite a distance away so it's hard to believe the battery is actually low. Maybe once you get that message there is something you need to reset? I couldn't find anything in the manual saying that you need to reset anything though.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I've now been bitten as well. I've checked the voltage of the battery in the fob (3.07 steady, so it's fine), and the fob is one of the Dorman units, so it hasn't disintegrated on me. Changed button battery just to be sure.

Also followed the process out on the Saturn Sky thread (pull fuse 56, wait 30 seconds, then cycle remote twice, start car, turn off car, repeat), no success. Also pulled the battery negative cable, waited a minute, and reattached. No love.

I'm going to keep searching for other answers--there doesn't appear to be a way to reset this via the DIC. If I bring to the dealer, they'll be happy to sell me two new factory fobs and re-learn them, but I'm not yet annoyed enough with the KEY FOB BATT LOW message to go that route. I just put $4400 into a transmission rebuild for my other car (it's a VW...don't ask), so I'm all for a frugal solution to this issue.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Interesting related post from the Cobalt forum regarding how the low voltage message is created:

Remote Key Fob Battery Warning - How Does It Work? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts

That is pointing me towards the possibility that this Dorman unit may have enough of a slip from the correct frequency that the BCM thinks the battery is low, when it actually may not be.

I'm going to try another battery just to be sure (once is random, twice is coincidence, three times is conspiracy) and then just leave it be, until the next time I'm at the dealership and have a couple of hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Key fobs

Did u try going this way
The only thing I found is you have to buy the second remote from the same seller because it disables my original remote
I have had them 3 years now with no problem

APDTY 24843 Replacement Key-less Entry Remote Key Fob Transmitter Assembly With Do-It-Yourself Programming Tool (Replaces GM Part Number 15252034 Only; You Must Have A Working Keyless Entry System) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKHVK5O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_o5LbzbB04736S

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ALL for the replies. I'll check this all out.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also followed the process out on the Saturn Sky thread (pull fuse 56, wait 30 seconds, then cycle remote twice, start car, turn off car, repeat), no success.
This may have worked! Thanks! I did it twice as directed and did not get the message on the second restart. We'll see how it does on the next drive and after a few days.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a few more starts following the above mentioned process, I was getting the low batt message with the Dorman remote again. I bought a different remote on e-bay and it has worked flawlessly for over a month. I was able to program it with the Dorman programmer (although it didn't give me any confirmation beep or flashing light during programming, when I tried to use it, it still worked).

Better remote from KeylessKing on e-bay.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can bring it if I make it to the next garage day. You'll only be able to use it on one car because it only has one more programming session left (the Dorman programmer is limited to three uses before becoming inoperative).

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't mind you using it. I hope to not need it again!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is this KeylessKing a confirmed solution?

The fob that came with the car had the battery holder broken loose.

I got the Dorman and programmer from O'rielly for $62.After a couple weeks I received the continuous msg "key fob batt low" even with a new battery.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this KeylessKing a confirmed solution?

The fob that came with the car had the battery holder broken loose.

I got the Dorman and programmer from O'rielly for $62.After a couple weeks I received the continuous msg "key fob batt low" even with a new battery.
I don't know if it is a "Keyless King" but the fob I got from Amazon after numerous problems with the Dorman one has worked for years without a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts