Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem with hydroplaning on wet roads, bad, since I'ved owned my Solstice does anybody else have this same issue? Running factory wheels & tires.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Base car or GXP?

Also is this the first RWD car you've owned or have you driven others before?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was not happy with the traction provided by the RSA's either. I had a couple traction related issues in the rain and in the dry. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's initially, currently I am running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. Both tires are excellent in wet and dry conditions, but they are also not cheap.

If you are looking for a cheap summer only tire I'd get the general AVON Tech M500's, at $136 each you can beat it for price and performance. If you need all-season capability the Conti Extreme Contact is your best bet, and it only runs $133 per tire.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Had my Sol since 12/05- this past tuesday scared the crap out of me & my friend Merging on to Northern State on a wet road. Don't usually drive it in th erain, but the signals aren't working on my other car. NA all stock.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There have been a few threads on this subject - a search may find them.
And, yes, I have the same problem, it happened once. That's all I needed.
If I have to drive in the RAIN, I take it EASY!!!!

fred

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a "07 GXP and have hit many large thunderstorms and I was surprised how well I had traction. Much better than my Z71.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hydroplaning

Yes. I hydroplaned on the way to the 2nd National and hit a bridge at about 65MPH and totalled my Solstice.

-Zepplin

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I didn't have any problems with hydroplaning but I take it easy too.

·
Banned
8,656 Posts
Yes. I hydroplaned on the way to the 2nd National and hit a bridge at about 65MPH and totalled my Solstice.

-Zepplin
:brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil: :brentil:

And he STILL came to the 2nd North American Solstice Meet!
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was not happy with the traction provided by the RSA's either. I had a couple traction related issues in the rain and in the dry. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R's initially, currently I am running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. Both tires are excellent in wet and dry conditions, but they are also not cheap.

If you are looking for a cheap summer only tire I'd get the general AVON Tech M500's, at $136 each you can beat it for price and performance. If you need all-season capability the Conti Extreme Contact is your best bet, and it only runs $133 per tire.
Everyone make sure to ask Miles about some of the awesome spins he had on his RS-A's in the rain. They were quite exciting to watch.;)

·
Registered
255 Posts
suggestions

Anyone willing to suggest better tires for driving in the rain? My 06 stock tires may have one more year in them, then I'm going with whatever is best in the rain. Also, if you found or know of tires we might want to avoid (such as 06 stock tires...)

Backstage

·
Registered
332 Posts
Everyone make sure to ask Miles about some of the awesome spins he had on his RS-A's in the rain. They were quite exciting to watch.;)
The ones that were on purpose or the ones that were... spontaneous? LOL ;)

Anyone willing to suggest better tires for driving in the rain? My 06 stock tires may have one more year in them, then I'm going with whatever is best in the rain. Also, if you found or know of tires we might want to avoid (such as 06 stock tires...)

Backstage
Best in the rain? It may as well be a tie. The Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position are the best, period. In measured testing no other tires will have better acceleration, stopping power, or cornering prowess. The GS-D3 has a more direct feel and can feel more confidence inspiring than the Bridgestone, but the Bridgestone will actually run the same course a hair faster in the rain.

·
Premium Member
10,297 Posts
GoodYear Eagle F1's GS-D3's the best tire in the rain. I have them on my GXP and while others feel not to secure/hydroplaning with the GXP OEM GoodYears F1's GS2.
The GS-D3's going through the same wet pavement/rain do not feel it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
To reduce hydroplaning, bump the tire pressure. The formula to calculate the speed at which you will hydroplane in mph is 10.35 * SqRt(tire pressure in psi). So if you get caught in the rain, if you know your tire pressure you can figure out how fast it's safe to go.

·
Registered
836 Posts
To reduce hydroplaning, bump the tire pressure. The formula to calculate the speed at which you will hydroplane in mph is 10.35 * SqRt(tire pressure in psi). So if you get caught in the rain, if you know your tire pressure you can figure out how fast it's safe to go.
I am absolutely sure what ever you just wrote is correct, but......I have NO freakin idea what your talking about...(and I wish I did cause I got caught last week in rain and it was SCARY)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am absolutely sure what ever you just wrote is correct, but......I have NO freakin idea what your talking about...(and I wish I did cause I got caught last week in rain and it was SCARY)
OK, what it means is that the higher the pressure in your tires, the faster you can go before the car hydroplanes. The formula tells you how fast. For example, at 30 psi, the fastest safe tire speed is:

square root of 30 = 5.48

10.35 * 5.48 = 56 mph.

Bump it up to 40 psi, and the fastest safe speed is 65 mph.

So if you know your tire pressure and do the calculation ahead of time, you will know the fastest safe speed you can go when you hit rain.

Tire make and model don't matter. While tread design matters when the water isn't that deep, this formula is for when the water is deep enough to completely fill up the tread - like when you hit a puddle.

·
Registered
836 Posts
OK, what it means is that the higher the pressure in your tires, the faster you can go before the car hydroplanes. The formula tells you how fast. For example, at 30 psi, the fastest safe tire speed is:

square root of 30 = 5.48

10.35 * 5.48 = 56 mph.

Bump it up to 40 psi, and the fastest safe speed is 65 mph.

So if you know your tire pressure and do the calculation ahead of time, you will know the fastest safe speed you can go when you hit rain.

Tire make and model don't matter. While tread design matters when the water isn't that deep, this formula is for when the water is deep enough to completely fill up the tread - like when you hit a puddle.
i think i understand, now i need to print this post and buy a calculator for my car;)

1 - 20 of 165 Posts