Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to the group. I have a problem with the leaking ventilation differential I drained I put an additive and I bought a new part, an acdelco # 19132947 and I installed it with a 14 inch pipe but the problem is that it is still leaking. I went to a garage and he told me it would always leak because the differential is worn. However, my 2008 solstice is only 27,960 miles. Have some of you had the same problem and can help me solve it because I don't know how to fix mine.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,379 Posts
When my early build 2006 was new, the rear diff leaked, and no matter what the dealership did, it continued to leak. Eventually the entire differential blew up and the entire differential was replaced under warranty. The replacement has never leaked a bit. Of course, that would be a mighty expensive fix to the problem if you had to pay for the fix. I hope you find an inexpensive solution.

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
The differential should not leak.

Initially the vent tube was too short so there was an update that installed a longer vent tube. This fixed the issue for most cars.

If the leak is through the vent, make sure the cold fill level is correct. It can leak when the oil heats up but with the right vent length it should not be visible.

If its leaking via a seal or gasket then get that addressed separately.

I am putting 450hp through my factory differential on my 07 and it has been just fine for 7 years.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
The vent tube that Rob mentioned fixed mine. If I remember correctly, they are about $30.00 and easily replaced. With the original vent tube, oil would overflow even when the transfer case oil level was correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The differential should not leak.

Initially the vent tube was too short so there was an update that installed a longer vent tube. This fixed the issue for most cars.

If the leak is through the vent, make sure the cold fill level is correct. It can leak when the oil heats up but with the right vent length it should not be visible.

If its leaking via a seal or gasket then get that addressed separately.

I am putting 450hp through my factory differential on my 07 and it has been just fine for 7 years.
installed hose 14 inch I think it is too short?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vent tube that Rob mentioned fixed mine. If I remember correctly, they are about $30.00 and easily replaced. With the original vent tube, oil would overflow even when the transfer case oil level was correct.
Do you think it's always going to leak ? you have to look at the level every how many miles

·
Super Moderator
6,473 Posts
installed hose 14 inch I think it is too short?

Do you think it's always going to leak ? you have to look at the level every how many miles
Mine have 15k and 87k miles with no leaks, so yours should not be worn out.

I think your first step is to identify where the leak is. If it is leaking from one of the three seals, you can replace that seal. If it is coming from the vent tube you should first make the exit of the vent as high as you can, then see if anything changes. The length of the tube is probably not as important as how high the exit end is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine have 15k and 87k miles with no leaks, so yours should not be worn out.

I think your first step is to identify where the leak is. If it is leaking from one of the three seals, you can replace that seal. If it is coming from the vent tube you should first make the exit of the vent as high as you can, then see if anything changes. The length of the tube is probably not as important as how high the exit end is.
OK thank you I'll try to put it as high as possible

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may also want to find a new repair shop if thier only solution was "it will always leak".
Thanks I will first try to fix it myself I will lengthen the hose because I live in France and the garages here they do not know how to repair American cars

1 - 12 of 12 Posts