Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to test drive a roadster GXP yesterday at a dealer. Car was red with 51K milles. The problem was they couldn't get the top up. It went down fine but could never raise it. The saleman called a 'tech' out to help and he couldn't figure it out either. The problem was when the top was raised it was about 4 inches too short from latching onto the windshield. The windows were down and no obstructions were obvious. So I'm wondering if this is a common problem in the Solstice where with age the top becomes a real problem to reattach. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Most often it's the top pinching/catching at the side seams. Occasionally it's an adjustment but for it to suddenly not reach it's home position it's usually a snag.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sometimes on abused cars the tulip flaps are really messed up preventing proper roof operation.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I think the Saturn guys have something for that. Called 'Skyagra', IIRC.;)

·
Registered
693 Posts
the flap on my drivers side doesnt work too well...can it be fixed for 5 bucks?i have to hold it up a little when raising the roof and push it down even when lowering the roof.

·
Registered
643 Posts
the flap on my drivers side doesnt work too well...can it be fixed for 5 bucks?i have to hold it up a little when raising the roof and push it down even when lowering the roof.
Usually the little plastic piece that holds the rods together. Of course if something got forced then there could be bent parts as well.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
As mentioned above, there is a small plastic retainer piece that holds/connects the actuating rod/cable to the "flap" and if it breaks the flap gets hung when you close the top - exactly as you have explained it. This is common and easy to fix. The part number is 15290793 "Bushing" and I paid $2.61 for one. Check this first by trying to lift the flap slowly by hand as you are putting the top up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Look for a possible tulip panel door not retracting completely. If the tulip panels door do not retract fully, when you want to put the top up, the top fabric may hang on top of the tulip panel doors. The panel doors may also need readjusting (cable). Happened to me. And like Rmarion said, the small bushings break easily. you may want to keep many of these on hand, just in case.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I had this happen last summer. It was the cable on the passenger side got "hung up" on something. In the process, I somehow "repositioned" the top so that it rubs horribly on the sides of my trunk now. The driver's door is also catching it for some odd reason.....good luck! I happened to see it on mine and just moved the cable a touch and it went right up, no problems since....knock on wood....other then the rubbing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen some really tight fits, where you really need to put some muscle into stretching the top to get it into grip range of the latches, but never a four inch shortage. It's easy to suspect there was a blockage issue.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Since my 08 has the liner and I have my seats as far back as possible, The flaps rub against the top and I'm afraid one of the flaps will tear the liner or get broken or tweaked when I put the top up so I now move both seat backs forward, open both doors and as I'm putting the top up I pull on each flap to make sure nothing is binding before I crank on the latch.

still only takes a minute to go around to each side and sometimes the top gets pinched on the drivers side so I have to lift up in the middle to free it but I'd much rather use the extra caution than risk screwing it up.

The 06 had the clip broke on it and sometimes I have to use the coat hanger to get the trunk open but the top goes up and down with very little effort.

Also, the catch in the trunk is easy to bend and numbnuts may have tried to close the trunk with the latch still exposed which bent it down but a pair of needle nose pliers took care of that.

If your clips are good, I'd try tweaking the catch bracket back in place. I marked the bar on the top with a white crayon and slowly closed it to see where it was hitting and once I bent it out some it was good to go.

·
Registered
194 Posts
As mentioned above, there is a small plastic retainer piece that holds/connects the actuating rod/cable to the "flap" and if it breaks the flap gets hung when you close the top - exactly as you have explained it. This is common and easy to fix. The part number is 15290793 "Bushing" and I paid $2.61 for one. Check this first by trying to lift the flap slowly by hand as you are putting the top up.
Yep. I test drove a Sky that had this problem. Even the owner didn't know what was wrong. I reached in, held up the tulip panel and put the top up. Get a handful of those bushings. They're cheap. Just keep a spare or two in the glove box. And yeah, get them to knock off some $$, then fix it yourself. The fix takes about ten minutes. It's this little purple thingy here:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Several month lurker here - got my 2006 Solstice 11/2014. I signed up for the forum to thank you for this.

I learned the hard way not to try to (slightly) force the top closed with the tulip flap down. (It tears up the flap, duh.)

I saw that the actuator cable was missing the bushing that was intact on the other side, and was hanging loose. Discovered that you can just kind of hook the cable on the flap, and it stays and works - but obviously I have to visually check it each time, in case the cable pops out. Annoying.

The parts guys were trying to sell me the whole $$$ cable assembly, and said that the little bushing could not be purchased separately.

Thanks for the part number, Rmarion, now I can spend the money on the replacement tulip flap which I crunched up a little bit. (Not too visible, but ugh.)

I *love* this car, by the way. On the slow hunt for a GXP now.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
The parts guys were trying to sell me the whole $$$ cable assembly, and said that the little bushing could not be purchased separately.

Thanks for the part number, Rmarion, now I can spend the money on the replacement tulip flap which I crunched up a little bit. (Not too visible, but ugh.)
You can also get a card full of different similar clips (Door lock rod clips) in the (Dorman) "Help!" section of your local parts store (Pep Boys etc).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts