Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another thread, but it got burried.

First of all.....I am experienced on driving a stick shift but I've had my Sol two days now, got 240 miles on it and have experienced several times when I can't seem to get it into reverse easily. I have to put car in neutral and lift the clutch pedal....sometimes more than once....then push pedal back down and try to shift into reverse again before it will engage. Yes, the car is not moving at the time.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this or if it sounds like a problem.....I do plan to tell my dealer of course.....they have been super so far.

VIN 242, Deep, two-toned in Mid-Michigan

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
bad Karma

it just bad Karma for not arranging a showing for other forum members here in the Michigan area

:jester:

·
Registered
94 Posts
My MSM is a bear to get into reverse. This is a function of a very mechanical tranny...there are gears and such, after all, connected to the shifter and just below the carpet.

It's not going into reverse because the gears are not lined up and Reverse on the Solstice may not be synchronized.

Try this (it's what us Miata owners do :) ):

1) put the car in 1st gear
2) slip the clutch to the point of engagement (no need for gas)
3) immediately push the clutch pedal back in
4) in one motion, move the shifter out of 1st and over to Reverse

This is the easiest way to line up the gears in the transmission. I doubt the Solstice tranny has a problem, just remember you're dealing with a piece of machinery with gears and cogs that have to be properly alligned for smooth shifting.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Matt123 said:
My MSM is a bear to get into reverse. This is a function of a very mechanical tranny...there are gears and such, after all, connected to the shifter and just below the carpet.

It's not going into reverse because the gears are not lined up and Reverse on the Solstice may not be synchronized.

This is the easiest way to line up the gears in the transmission. I doubt the Solstice tranny has a problem, just remember you're dealing with a piece of machinery with gears and cogs that have to be properly alligned for smooth shifting.
:agree: I have to do this very procedure about 1/3 of the times I try to put my Saturn VUE into reverse. It has to do with synchronizers, as Matt123 has noted. Pretty soon, it will become second-nature to you. A dealer is just going to tell you that this is "normal operation" or something to that effect.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Matt123 said:

Hey, that's what I had to do to get my 1949 Murcury into reverse --- we have come a long way. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my Dodge Dakota, I some times have problems putting it in reverse. I was told that having a manual it sometimes does this because like matt123 said its not getting in line. All I do is step on the clutch let off the break and let it roll a feet or two. Then I put it in reverse, with no problem

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have owned cars with manual transmissions for the last 25 years, and some are worse than others, but this is just part of the deal. Some times the reverse gears don't mesh because they are not syncronized and are straight cut gears. Usually just repeated tries or moving the car forward a few inches will do the trick. I currently own cars and trucks that don't have sycronized forward speeds, and you have to do this some times just to get into 1st!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Me too. I gotta do the same thing matt123 mentioned in my '92 Toyota 4x4....

It's normal....

:willy:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
AeroDave said:
I have owned cars with manual transmissions for the last 25 years, and some are worse than others, but this is just part of the deal. Some times the reverse gears don't mesh because they are not syncronized and are straight cut gears. Usually just repeated tries or moving the car forward a few inches will do the trick. I currently own cars and trucks that don't have sycronized forward speeds, and you have to do this some times just to get into 1st!
My ZX2 had the 1st gear issue sometimes. I would have to just work it into 2nd gear to get it to resynch the gears. Sometimes I would have to work it through 2nd->3rd->4th before it would let me back into first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I've had a little trouble

I've noticed a little difficulty getting into reverse also. If it doesn't go in easy, I just go back to nuetral, take my foot of the clutch, step on the clutch and shift into reverse. It seem to work everytime.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
AeroDave said:
I currently own cars and trucks that don't have sycronized forward speeds, and you have to do this some times just to get into 1st!
My Simplicity tractor has the same problem with all 4 gears (3-fwd, 1-rev). ;)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
AeroDave said:

Your right. I have had cars and trucks that at times have been tough to engage reverse. Those of us with motorcycles can report the same experience trying to find neutral!

·
4,592 Posts
Matt123 said:
Some MSMs report this, but not all. We're lucky, neither MSM has ever has this problem.

How does it happen in one car, but not another, yet they are identical cars?

I had this problem on some of my previous sticks.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the tips

Thanks to all.....looks like it is just something to put up with.....most of the time I'll be going forward anyways......240 miles the first day and a half.

Anyone that wants to see it, just let me know....SLY SOL is visiting Friday evening......one thing I'd recommend is the mud flaps.....they look like they belong and should really protect the undersides of the wheel wells.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm, I've never seen this problem in any of the Honda's I've owned. Do you have to push down on the shifter to engage reverse in the Solstice?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I haven't had any problems shifting into reverse. Of course the only time it sees reverse is when I am backing into the garage.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
No Proper Shifting into Reverse?.....

Uh......Is it just me or am I the only one who has not had a problem with any of my cars and a Reverse Issue......If my Solstice has a problem going into reverse, its going back to the dealer. What's with the......Uh, you'll get use to it attitude? :cuss:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Do not have a problem shifting into reverse just seeing when I am backing up. With the top up it is difficult to estimate distance to the corners. Some cars are easier than others, this is one of the more difficult ones. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts