Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the SOl for a week now and in that week I have found wind noise drivers side, improper installation of the rubber trim, I found a gap between the rubber trim and window, I found a hole in thhe same rubber trim around the window. I found a scratch by the base of the antenna, I found a scratch above the Pontiac symbol on the hood/. And today the mother of all problems. When I back out of my in-laws driveway, I heard the distinct noise of metal agains metal. I think my brake adjusters are hunf up on the front drivers wheel. Now I can't drive it. All this in a week and 150 miles. I am very disappointed. G.M. said they were going to run quality checks on these vehicles. My car sat for a month after its' build at the plant. What the hell were they doing. I think this is totally unacceptable. I swore I would not buy American again some 15 years ago, now I remember why.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems. Please keep us informed on what actions the dealer or GM takes. Good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
All I can say is 'Oh no... this is not good!'
But I can understand your feelings. In '93' I bought a fully optioned Dodge Intrepid. Loved the car, hated the things that went awry with it. Chrysler at the time was not all that interested in making the car 'right' and I often had to go to the district co-ordinator.
While I hate that this has happened in your case, and I can completely understand your anger, 'things do happen...', and sometimes despite all the checks and balances. My thought is GM/Pontiac will be want to make this right for you quickly.
Times have changed and GM/Pontiac wants to change with them.
Good luck to you and I hope the disappointment in the car is fleeting.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
That really sucks, you got me scared. What did the dealer have to say. I think I would be on the phone to GM. Actually the dealer should be. A lemon all ready. I would really be pissed.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
del_utz said:
I have had the SOl for a week now and in that week I have found wind noise drivers side, improper installation of the rubber trim, I found a gap between the rubber trim and window, I found a hole in thhe same rubber trim around the window. I found a scratch by the base of the antenna, I found a scratch above the Pontiac symbol on the hood/. And today the mother of all problems. When I back out of my in-laws driveway, I heard the distinct noise of metal agains metal. I think my brake adjusters are hunf up on the front drivers wheel. Now I can't drive it. All this in a week and 150 miles. I am very disappointed. G.M. said they were going to run quality checks on these vehicles. My car sat for a month after its' build at the plant. What the hell were they doing. I think this is totally unacceptable. I swore I would not buy American again some 15 years ago, now I remember why.
I only buy American ! It's not a surprise that some of the quality issues would not be worked out of the first 1000. I'm sure they will take care of it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael said:
All I can say is 'Oh no... this is not good!'
But I can understand your feelings. In '93' I bought a fully optioned Dodge Intrepid. Loved the car, hated the things that went awry with it. Chrysler at the time was not all that interested in making the car 'right' and I often had to go to the district co-ordinator.
While I hate that this has happened in your case, and I can completely understand your anger, 'things do happen...', and sometimes despite all the checks and balances. My thought is GM/Pontiac will be want to make this right for you quickly.
Times have changed and GM/Pontiac wants to change with them.
Good luck to you and I hope the disappointment in the car is fleeting.
I will let you all know, I was supposed gto go to the dealer tomorrow for the trunk problem I forgot to mention in my post, but with this metal against metal noise, I will have to wait for them to open to see if they want to send out a tow. I will let you all know. Thanks for your concern, I really do love this car, just hope they work out the kinks and we can move on.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
del_utz said:
I will let you all know, I was supposed gto go to the dealer tomorrow for the trunk problem I forgot to mention in my post, but with this metal against metal noise, I will have to wait for them to open to see if they want to send out a tow. I will let you all know. Thanks for your concern, I really do love this car, just hope they work out the kinks and we can move on.
Are you sure it's the brakes? Several people have reported hearing a metal on metal sound when first starting up the car and it appears to be something with the exhaust piping. A TSB states this is 'normal', and others have speculated that it's the heat shield hitting on the exhaust. Once everything is up to temp, no more problems.

Check to see if it's actually the brakes before you get too woried.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems. I have over 1030 miles on my car and don't have any problems like you. Hopefully they can get yours straightened out and you don't have any future issues.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
Sorry to hear of the problems. I have over 1030 miles on my car and don't have any problems like you. Hopefully they can get yours straightened out and you don't have any future issues.
1030 ALREADY , sure doing alot of driving and showing off your baby. Can't wait untill I get ours.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I only have close to 300, but have not found any problems. I am very particular and asked the dealer not to prep or wax the car. I cleaned the car and wxed it myself. I have no scratches or marks. I have both American and Japanese cars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Bummer, Hope it all works out :(

·
2,574 Posts
del_utz said:

Hang tuff Del, hopefully these probs will become a distant memory. You will overcome! :yesnod:

·
Registered
528 Posts
The disappointment of waiting so long and staying active on the board must make this a really tough pill to swallow! How these vehicles could sit so long on the factory lot and get checked and rechecked to have this many comestic problems is beyond me. Now the front brake issue sounds like a brake pad coming out of the caliper. I had this happen to me recently while unloading my motorcycle off the truck. Just started backing it out and the pad came lose and jam against the disc. I pushed it forward and removed the pads and reseated them into the caliper and all was good again. Hopefully this be a quick fix for you too.

The seals and paint problems I'm really at a loss of words to explain. I would send an email to Mr. Lutz telling him one of his first 1000 cars came delivered with this many problems. Maybe a memo to the factory will help others avoid these problems with their cars.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TerpFan said:
The disappointment of waiting so long and staying active on the board must make this a really tough pill to swallow! How these vehicles could sit so long on the factory lot and get checked and rechecked to have this many comestic problems is beyond me. Now the front brake issue sounds like a brake pad coming out of the caliper. I had this happen to me recently while unloading my motorcycle off the truck. Just started backing it out and the pad came lose and jam against the disc. I pushed it forward and removed the pads and reseated them into the caliper and all was good again. Hopefully this be a quick fix for you too.

The seals and paint problems I'm really at a loss of words to explain. I would send an email to Mr. Lutz telling him one of his first 1000 cars came delivered with this many problems. Maybe a memo to the factory will help others avoid these problems with their cars.
Thanks, I am going to give my dealer first shot at taking care of these problems tomorrow. I will be calling them at 7:00 A.M., I believe thats when the service dept. opens, I can't drive it the way it is. They prolly will have to send a "low boy" out to get it. Just my luck, gorgeous day, was going to take my daughter for a ride today, she stopped by for a visit. I am encouraged by the way G.M. has handled this entire deal. The attention they have given the 1st 1k and the way my dealer has responded to my questions. I am hoping this is just some fluke, it does sound like a pad scraping agains the caliper, but I am not going to mess with it, due to warrany considerations. The other issues are cosmetic and easily repaired I believe, will let you all know tomorrow how I make out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OMFG....Just drive it. Its under warranty. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Solstice Problems?!

I picked up 725 this past Thursday. I've only driven it 80 miles and it runs good and I do love it. Now, I ordered most of the options, but I DIDN'T order a better radio because GM usually has good stock radios with good sound. This "stock" radio sounds kind of "tinny" with not much base! Don't know if that's normal or something is not connected!? At speeds above 45 you've got to really crank up the radio to hear it too! Not sure if that's right and I'm going to call tomorrow.
The second time I put the top up sometnig STABBED me in the palm of my hand and it went DEEP in the meat of my thumb. It was sore and started to bleed again the second day because it was so deep. I have been more careful now so that won't happen again!.
The horn...well let me say that single note litle gem sounds rinky-dink too! They could have spent $5.00 more, to get a good sound, and just made the car's MSRP $20,000 instead of $19,995!
All in all I do love the car and it handle's really GOOD! I wish it was a V6 and had a 6 speed too! It tac's way to high, compared to my V6 Montana, and that's why the gas mileage is not that good...20/28. I get 22/28 with my 2000 Montana all the time. As I drive it more I'll report any other "things" on our new toy.
Ron Brandich-Huron, Ohio (AGGRESSIVE with most everything except a cheap radio)

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
ESERIES3 said:
OMFG....Just drive it. Its under warranty. ;)
It may be under warranty but your body is not. Don't screw aroud with breaks.
:willy: Wait for the dealer to pick it up.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts