Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what the title says. I'm looking for directions from the shop manual for thermostat replacement on a 2.0L GXP. I pulled mine out of storage yesterday and drove it. Temp went to 210, then fell abruptly to 165. Then went back to 205, then to 180...then leveled at 198 where it usually runs, until I would get on it, then it would climb to 205-208 again. And before any of the newer people suggest a WP, I've already had mine done about 25k ago. No white smoke, so it's not burning it... I had this issue last year, but it wasn't as pronounced. It would get up to 201 and then fall to 190 and would fluctuate between there.... Now the fluctuation is much more pronounced (between 185 and 210). So I'm guessing the thermo isn't opening all the way.

·
Vendor
1,393 Posts
Just what the title says. I'm looking for directions from the shop manual for thermostat replacement on a 2.0L GXP. I pulled mine out of storage yesterday and drove it. Temp went to 210, then fell abruptly to 165. Then went back to 205, then to 180...then leveled at 198 where it usually runs, until I would get on it, then it would climb to 205-208 again. And before any of the newer people suggest a WP, I've already had mine done about 25k ago. No white smoke, so it's not burning it... I had this issue last year, but it wasn't as pronounced. It would get up to 201 and then fall to 190 and would fluctuate between there.... Now the fluctuation is much more pronounced (between 185 and 210). So I'm guessing the thermo isn't opening all the way.
The best way that we have found to do the thermostat with the engine in the car is to do the following - Remove the windshield wipers and the cowl beneath the wipers, that will give you better access to the thermostat. Then it is 2 10mm head bolts to remove the thermostat housing cover. It will be a little tight to get the thermostat out, but you can then remove it out the passenger side of the engine bay. Make sure when you put it all back together that you do a good bleed on the system.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave!!

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
On my Solstice the hose clamp was clocked over the head of a 10mm bolt head ! Necessitating a colorful exchange of words and engineering
slams I managed to change its position in order to remove the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've been needing to do this for a couple years and just haven't felt with doing it based on the PITA I read about doing it. Dave's instructions don't seem too bad though. Only reason I need to do it is when I put the last on in I drilled too large a hole in it and it's so hard to get heat out of the car in the winter. So....smaller hole in the next one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts