Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed in the desription of the Solstice under the new vehicles coming soon at pontiac.com that they say the 2.4 Ecotech double overhead cam four cylinder will produce up to 170hp. Does this mean that they will offer one at lass than 170 hp???? I hope 170hp is the base.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fear not, they've already published specs for 170. The hope is they'll magically sqeak out 180 base...now that would be cool :cheers

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
Fear not, they've already published specs for 170. The hope is they'll magically sqeak out 180 base...now that would be cool :cheers
I have seen some GM engineers who have stated they were hopeful they can get it up to 180 by the time its ready for production, although they had settled on publishing 170 at that time as a safe fall-back number. Hopefully they do find that extra 10, but if its 170 that would be fine. Anything less, and they will not look good after throwing the 170 number around for two years!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some people here don't apparently read some of the magazines...There is nothing wrong with that...but if you did you would know that the Solstice is likely to have:
(Base) 2.4 liter 170 HP
(Mid) 2.4 liter 200 HP
and (Upper) 2.0 liter super-duper 240 HP (a-la Cobalt SS)
The 2.0 liter might turn into 2.4 to keep it separated from the Cobalt but that would only raise the price and Bob Lutz know better than to do that. And pricing...if go by INVOICE it should be $19,000-$24,000. GM is known to jack up the MSRP-the Canyon/Colorado had a $2300 difference between the MSRP and invoice.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Actually if you read some of the other threads in the technical area Mutant Egg we've talked about those options along with several others. Also if you had read the edmunds.com article that's come out after the magazine articles they stated that the option for Supercharger/Turbocharger is possible but not necisarily a year one option.

nighttripper: By saying "the 2.4 Ecotech double overhead cam four cylinder will produce up to 170hp" they mean the 2.4L L850 engine will have a maximum output of 170hp for this car.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Mutant Egg said:
Some people here don't apparently read some of the magazines...There is nothing wrong with that...but if you did you would know that the Solstice is likely to have:
(Base) 2.4 liter 170 HP
(Mid) 2.4 liter 200 HP
The 2.0 liter might turn into 2.4 to keep it separated from the Cobalt but that would only raise the price and Bob Lutz know better than to do that.
I think the magazines are guessing, making assumptions, and absorbing questionable information... just like the rest of us. The magazines don't know the truth any better than anybody who reads this forum. The only thing I think we can count on is a 2.4 ecotech at 170 hp. That's it. Everything else is conjecture and wishful thinking. I think a higher horsepower unit is very likely, but the ultimate source, Pontiac, is keeping their future plans under wraps for now. I won't be expecting higher horsepower until they officialy release that.

As to nighttrippers question, yes they will be offering a motor at less than 170hp... a 2.4 ecotec at half throttle. :jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AeroDave said:
... The magazines don't know the truth any better than anybody who reads this forum. ...

Except for those GM lurkers!!! Hey there!!! WE SEE YOU!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
170-180hp nice but 240hp and we have a half price Boxster but better looking
and made in America land of free home of the brave.....Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too! :wink Drive On!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well here's an image of what 240HP looks like :D

It's an image of the Supercharged L850 engine that was in the Solstice Concept. The front engine space just looks so friendly and easy to work in too. And the Supercharger just looks so tasty sitting in there. :thumbs

Attachments

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Mutant Egg said:
(Base) 2.4 liter 170 HP
(Mid) 2.4 liter 200 HP
The 2.0 liter might turn into 2.4 to keep it separated from the Cobalt but that would only raise the price and Bob Lutz know better than to do that. And pricing...if go by INVOICE it should be $19,000-$24,000. GM is known to jack up the MSRP-the Canyon/Colorado had a $2300 difference between the MSRP and invoice.
I don't think anyone is disputing what the Solstice is likely to have (170 HP base motor), but that is just the problem. It is "likely" to have. Most people here have read just about every magazine article, news article, writeup, etc that has been written on this car.

I wouldn't say it is likely to have a 200 HP 2.4L motor. There has not been a mention of such an engine in GM's near future. It is more likely to get the 2.0L 200 HP supercharged motor first. Even then its not a given. GM engineers and marketing people have been floating rumors in the press that there might be a turbocharged motor, not a supercharged motor for increased power, and that could leave the door open for a displacement level between 2.0L and 2.4L. The 240 HP motor that has been projected in some sources has a displacement of 2.4L, and not 2.0L.

At any event, its all purely speculation, especially with any engine beyond the 2.4L base version since those cars have not been announced. The only thing we can be fairly certain about is that there will be a more powerful motor offered down the road.

As for price, a GM rep is quoted in the edmunds.com article saying that base price will be $19,995 with a fully optioned car going for under $25,000. I'd expect them to stick close to this pricing structure since they are officially throwing these numbers out as good estimates.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
linedog said:
The Turbo model in the 2nd year of production will offer HP around 270

Whoa. Most on the forum are pretty sure its a low 200 HP SC. (Although I'm partial to the turbo option myself).

What kind of FM [F*CKIN MAGIC] is needed to make an ecotec production turbo do that?

If so, why haven't they done that already? There's an ION Redline and a Cobalt SS that would love to have that motor!!! There's SAAB's running ecotecs out there creaking out only 215 HP that would love to have an extra 60 horses!

Either that or the low end torque makes the whole thing useful for, like, only 1.6 seconds (from 5750 RPM to redline), below which it's a dog.
:smile

·
Registered
533 Posts
Someone on the gminsider forum that seems to have connections also mentioned a turbo in the second model year. No power rating was mentioned but the post sounded legit.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
linedog said:
The Turbo model in the 2nd year of production will offer HP around 270
That's a bold statement. Crystal ball? Wishful thinking? Industrial spy? Starting a rumor? Love to know where you heard that.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Were not going to complain at all about that much HP in the second year! That does sound like an excessive step up from the base 170 HP. I would think they would want something in the 200-240 range, and if they did a 270 make it a limited production model, something like a Caddy V series, Vette Z06, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts