Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
1) Where are the metal/aluminum HVAC knobs shown in the promotional materials? The production car looks like they are boring, black plastic.

2) What are those big pieces of weather stripping near the shoulders? Can be seen at this link:

http://www.solsticesky.com/FirstPics/pages/DSC00023.html

They look horrible!

3) Pontiac Emblem Scallup...thought it would have been functional...but it is just a "dent" in the fender.

http://www.solsticesky.com/FirstPics/pages/DSC00039.html

4) Radio Antenna: Promotional material didn't show this ugly thing. Why didn't they just put it in the windshield like they've been doing for decades?

http://www.solsticesky.com/FirstPics/pages/DSC00056.html

5) The Top...This looks horrible!

http://www.solsticesky.com/FirstPics/pages/DSC00057.html

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The metal/aluminum HVAC knobs would most likely have been plastic anyway, but how would you illuminate them at night? Black text is black text. You need white text to be able to create the amber glow for night driving, but white text on aluminum would have been unreadable in the daylight. So changing it to black was a smart move.

Now two tone knobs would have looked nice too (black knob with silver ring), but I'm sure the cost would have put the car at $20,001 or something like that. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually the gauges in the Bonneville GXP are white/silver faced with black lettering and they light up in the Ponitac red at night, so I guess that wasn't the reasoning...

·
Registered
56 Posts
RADRIV said:
1) Where are the metal/aluminum HVAC knobs shown in the promotional materials? The production car looks like they are boring, black plastic.

2) What are those big pieces of weather stripping near the shoulders? Can be seen at this link:

They look horrible!

3) Pontiac Emblem Scallup...thought it would have been functional...but it is just a "dent" in the fender.

4) Radio Antenna: Promotional material didn't show this ugly thing. Why didn't they just put it in the windshield like they've been doing for decades?

5) The Top...This looks horrible!
Lutz said under 20k...these are some ways to keep costs down to make his statement true. my prediction is...there gonna be many folk a :cuss: 'in when they see some of the differences between the promo & production cars.

must cut corners somewhere to save $

anything thats too good to be true usually is. :yesnod:

BTW...i think they wanted to showcase the pontiac emblem with that "dent" in the fendor & to guarantee its never removed :devil: . i'm gonna fill mine with bondo though.:leaving:

·
Registered
281 Posts
RADRIV said:
http://www.solsticesky.com/FirstPics/pages/DSC00039.html

http://www.solsticesky.com/FirstPics/pages/DSC00056.html
That "cut out" aft of the front wheels is a perfect place for an aftermarket signal marker light. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone making a kit in a coupla years. Please, someone make a kit in a couple of years.

That antenna placement IS pretty bad. If not embedded in the windshield, I think it would've looked better attached to the windshield frame. My old Toyota Corolla had its manually retracted radio antenna buried in the driver's side A-pillar. You rolled down the window, reached up and pulled it out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Batman said:
Please, someone make a kit in a couple of years.
:glol:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
C5Vette said:
Actually the gauges in the Bonneville GXP are white/silver faced with black lettering and they light up in the Ponitac red at night, so I guess that wasn't the reasoning...
We're talking about different gauges. You're talking about the speedo/tach cluster that sits safely behind a plastic lense. Those can be lit up easily. These are the HVAC knobs that have to be thick plastic that can stand up to everyday abuse.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks, RADRIV, for these observations, I hadn't paid close-enough attention to notice some of these. I'm particularly bothered by the fake dent-in-the-fender air intake. Reminds me of the first of the resurrected Chrysler Sebrings (around 1995 or so) where the entire grill was fake with no function at all--really tacky.

And the top. We've seen a lot of pictures of wavy buttresses, but this one looks particularly bad, they've got to be able to create a top that's tighter than this. Speaking of Sebrings, just yesterday I was driving behind a several-year-old Sebring with a tan ragtop that was drum-tight throughout, found myself thinking "if they can do it certainly Pontiac will get this right." Hopefully we won't be disappointed. If it looks like this I won't be happy.

I think I can live with the weather-stripping and even the antenna placement, just the normal compromises one can expect. But not a fake air intake that goes that far out of its way to build design around supposed function. That's tacky.

·
497 Posts
Personally, I like the scallop, dent or whatever you want to call it; I think it adds subtle character.

The antenna does not really bother me but for a roadster, I am surprised it isn’t farther back on the fender. I would have preferred power (I am hopeful there is room to accommodate this later) or the internal windshield job.

The only thing that I find weak on the Solstice is the top. I think it just looks like crap in every picture I have seen. Between the wrinkles, stitching and general appearance, at least in the pictures, it looks cheesy. I hope it is better in person. As least as many others have said, I don’t plan to have the top up very often. :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I also like the dent/scallop and have since the beginning. :leaving:

The antenna seems to be in "roadster placing" and didn't seem at all weird to me.

I actually didn't even pay attention to the weather stripping till it was pointed out, but It was obviously changed to keep even more water out, and that's all okay with me.

Would you rather have that laminate or your paint worn down to sheet metal in two years?

Most people won't have the top up much, and unless you are looking for problems, it won't look bad from normal distances... and that's a price we pay for neat, decorative butresses.

And another note, NO ONE here EVER complain about the top again. It is CLOTH instead of vinyl, and it has a GLASS window instead of a plastic one. The two things I desire in a convert top. More than I expected for a sub-$20k car... although I would have liked the defrost elements to have been smaller and much more of them (almost invisible).

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Why is everyone making such a big deal about the side scoop thing NOW? Hasn't it ALWAYS been fake? Were you expecting it to magically go from non-functional to functional for production? It HAS and always will be there for the sole purpose of looks. I can see it now though, men hacking a hole behind the emblem with their jigsaws just weeks after buying the new car.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I think the antenna might look a bit better if it were just a bit shorter ... something that doesn't stick up past the level of the top. Maybe like the ones on a Z3.

Pulling the brushed aluminum knobs really bugs me though. That's one of the first things that struck me about the interior. The black plastic just looks plain and cheap. I'm sure they could have come up with a solution for the lighting if that was the issue. The metal disk insert could have been punched with the shapes to allow light through and they could have used Pontiac red instead of white if contrast was a problem. As it stands now, I'd rather not be able to see them at all.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
RADRIV said:
Pontiac Emblem Scallup...thought it would have been functional...but it is just a "dent" in the fender.
Just be glad it's not a huge dent across the whole panel like the crease on the Z4.

The backlit Pontiac side marker idea is kind of neat though ... particularly if they could use a slow-burning bulb that would kind of "throb" as somebody mentioned earlier instead of blinking.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
dori-san said:
Why is everyone making such a big deal about the side scoop thing NOW? Hasn't it ALWAYS been fake? Were you expecting it to magically go from non-functional to functional for production? It HAS and always will be there for the sole purpose of looks. I can see it now though, men hacking a hole behind the emblem with their jigsaws just weeks after buying the new car.
Yep.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.