Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea or time frame that production is actually going to start? I've seen so many different dates, can someone at least narrow it down into a month and give an expected date to arrive in dealerships for the 1st 1,000. I've heard as late as 4th quarter is this true?

Darren

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Excitementisnow said:
Does anyone have any idea or time frame that production is actually going to start? I've seen so many different dates, can someone at least narrow it down into a month and give an expected date to arrive in dealerships for the 1st 1,000. I've heard as late as 4th quarter is this true?

Darren

If retail production begins by the end of May as has been strongly suggested here, it would be hard for me to imagine that these cars wouldn't be shipped in normal due order. If this holds true, initial deliveries to dealers could begin as early as late June and July, as originally planned. Pontiac marketing has said fourth quarter. I can't imagine that they would keep cars sitting around collecting dust for months before delivery. But, only the gods and Pontiac knows for sure!!! ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
bigjon

The information I originally received from a GM source stated that all suppliers had to be ready for a 16 May 2005 production date.

I received additional information that the facia and top issues were resolved in the Jan/Feb 05 time frame. Do not know what the problem could be now.

I hear that there are several "SOL's" running around Detroit and are defined as "bucket 3 (production) cars. I believe that a June surprise is coming.

I had to order mine from initial allocation and the dealer expects to see non EOP cars by July.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
bigjon said:
I received additional information that the facia and top issues were resolved in the Jan/Feb 05 time frame. Do not know what the problem could be now.
The pics from last weekend's show at DE plant still showed some of the fit issues in front of car.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
bigjon said:
The information I originally received from a GM source stated that all suppliers had to be ready for a 16 May 2005 production date.

I hear that there are several "SOL's" running around Detroit and are defined as "bucket 3 (production) cars. I believe that a June surprise is coming.

I had to order mine from initial allocation and the dealer expects to see non EOP cars by July.
bigjon,
You are right about the supplier requirement. I don't believe you heard correctly abou the "production" cars.

The pics from 2KWK4U clearly showed a truckload of "NON production" cars that had yet to leave the plant as of last Saturday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I stopped by my local dealer today to ask about the chrome wheel option and delivery dates. According to the sales manager production will start this summer on the first thousand cars, at number 1000 production will stop and the cars will complete a certification process. He was told the first thousand will not be delivered till October and any orders beyond that will be nearer to the end of the year. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
GM Annual Meeting in Wilmington DE- any connection?

I see that GM is scheduled to hold their Annual Meeting for 2004 on Wednesday, June 2, 2004, at the Hotel du Pont, Wilmington, Delaware. As a matter of practice the meeting location is moved each year to a new location around the country.

Speculatively, there might be a connection between all the cars outside the plant and the meeting....Maybe some kind of announcement about production or first deliveries will be made that day? GM management could use a little good news to talk about....

Comments?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'll bet there's something to the Wilmington meeting place, but maybe no big announcement just some more p-r time. If they are holding the first 1000 until October, they must have some shindig planned for the delivery. Producing just 1000 cars to sell between May 31 and October doesn't seem to me to be good business. Here in the north, rolling that sporty two-seater convertible off the transport as the snow flurries dot the black top may not spur everyone to rush to their dealership to get in on the fun. All of us northerners should be sure to wear our shorts and flowery shirts when we pick it up, no matter what the weather! :lol: :lol: :yesnod:

·
Registered
316 Posts
crj1949 said:
All of us northerners should be sure to wear our shorts and flowery shirts when we pick it up, no matter what the weather! :lol: :lol: :yesnod:
:agree:

:lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
With any luck, GM will look at the # of cars out of the first 1000
that need to go to cold weather states and deliver these cars first.

Being in Pa. and so close to the plant, really only 2 hours drive away.
I sure hope they send my car my way before the end of August.

Sept. is still a very nice month and can be quite warm.

I am dreaming of a drive with my girl as the leaves have changed in the mountains and 75 degrees in late Sept. or early Oct.

I'll be happy if I can get a month in before the weather turns to cold
to drop the top.

But I agree with every one else on this. GM get it right!!!!

Looking at those poor fitting seams from the plant pictures seems like they need to tighten their tolerances or something.

I know all of us will screwtinize the nose and top of the cars as they come
in.

So if GM is listening, get ready for the magnifying glass test!!!!!!! :devil: :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
c'mon guys!

Excitementisnow said:
Does anyone have any idea or time frame that production is actually going to start?
MAY 16 2005 IS THE OFFICIAL "FULL BLOWN" PRODUCTION START UP DATE.
Ive said this now 3 times in the past week! :)
-Lets all read posts before starting a new one! :willy:

-Dylan

·
Registered
138 Posts
the Start Date is NOT the issue - it is DELIVERY!

Hey, Dylan, get the message: We are not that concerned about when they are built, it is when they are delivered. :cool: It seems the dates are not necessarily chronologically connected, based on some of the feedback we are receiving both in the Forum and from dealers. Our concern in the South-West is the opposite of those Forum members from the East; we can wait until it cools down a bit to drive them with the top down in the Fall, and the Winter and the Spring. I vote for: GM get it right please.

·
Registered
504 Posts
They (Pontiac) have a 180 day delivery window.According to my figures that would be within the time frame from middle of April to October.Tell us the long of it and make no promises on the short end.Now when they are early,lets hope,everyone will be soooo happy and if not October is a safe hedge.They are protecting their ass telling us October.Just my humble ranting. :yesnod: :cool:

·
Dragon Rider
1,071 Posts
Bought_It said:
But I agree with every one else on this. GM get it right!!!!

Looking at those poor fitting seams from the plant pictures seems like they need to tighten their tolerances or something.

I know all of us will screwtinize the nose and top of the cars as they come
in.

So if GM is listening, get ready for the magnifying glass test!!!!!!! :devil: :yesnod:
Tell me about it. Let it be known to GM, GMlinedog, and whoever else is lurking, be on the lookout for the Mysterious, Steel/Sand, Fully loaded but for XM, OnStar and wheels, headed for Anniston, AL for that dealers first allotment. A Honda associate, along with a co-worker, will be thoroughly inspecting. :devil: :lol:
I hope not to find anything, but I doubt they'd want Market Claims noted by a competitor's employee. :yesnod:

·
5,641 Posts
dylan01 said:
MAY 16 2005 IS THE OFFICIAL "FULL BLOWN" PRODUCTION START UP DATE.
Ive said this now 3 times in the past week! :)

It was confirmed by those at the plant auto show this past weekend, that GM has been right all along. GM said May 31st start up. The worker said May 31st start up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
About GM getting the fit right remember that an employee at the plant told one of the guys at that show that they had revised panels coming in this week and they should fit much better.

We keep speculating on the delivery date in hopes it will be sooner than Oct. which Pontiac has given us. They could put all this to rest if they would just say "it is October for sure so quit speculating". I know we don't want to hear that but if it is for real I wish they would reassure us but don't think they would.

·
5,641 Posts
berkindale said:
I see that GM is scheduled to hold their Annual Meeting for 2004 on Wednesday, June 2, 2004, at the Hotel du Pont, Wilmington, Delaware. As a matter of practice the meeting location is moved each year to a new location around the country.

Speculatively, there might be a connection between all the cars outside the plant and the meeting....Maybe some kind of announcement about production or first deliveries will be made that day? GM management could use a little good news to talk about....

Comments?
June 2, 2004? That was last year.

This year's GM Annual Meeting is on June 7th, 2005. And as a Delaware incorporated company, don't they hold the meeting every year in Wilmington? They have since 2000 (the only years I checked).

Now I will not say there will not be a Solstice at the Annual Meeting, I don't believe there are any special connections.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts