Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, been looking around for a while?
I work for a GM dealership and we have a 2009 Solstice coupe in stock, I am writing a article for the local newspaper and was wondering if anyone knew how many solstice coupes were made and how many were GXPs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
750-800 is what I read on the net. Coupe VIN are numberd sequentially. We have #151. Black w/leather, 2.4l, manual. I work for GM. Eventually I will see if I can find exact production numbers

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
New to the forum, been looking around for a while?
I work for a GM dealership and we have a 2009 Solstice coupe in stock, I am writing a article for the local newspaper and was wondering if anyone knew how many solstice coupes were made and how many were GXPs?
750-800 is what I read on the net. Coupe VIN are numberd sequentially. We have #151. Black w/leather, 2.4l, manual. I work for GM. Eventually I will see if I can find exact production numbers
From what I understand your estimate is a little off ... unfortunately I am not at liberty to disclosed the numbers until GM makes an official statement with regard to the exact production totals. However, the GXPs were about 2 for every 1 of the NAs.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
So far we have up to #827 listed here of the sequential VINs, so there were at least that many.

Part of the production number may include the program cars that were made before the sequential VINs started. We have 1 of those listed here.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I read somewhere the latest THINKING was it would hit around 1,300. Including the program cars. NO inside knowledge here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read somewhere the latest THINKING was it would hit around 1,300. Including the program cars. NO inside knowledge here.
my dealer said 1200 (no breakdown on how many auto-gxp-etc.) and possible another 300 for GM use,but they are n`t collectible according to the inter nets

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts

Trust me... I know.

Cortez
Coupe #169
Is that the total that were built or the number that are available to be sold to the public?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is that the total that were built or the number that are available to be sold to the public?
Well according to GM's production numbers as of May 2009:

Wilmington Plant

Solstice
2009 MY Net May 560
2009 MYTD Thru May 2009 4,361
2009 CYTD Thru May 2009 1,286

Sky
2009 MY Net May 70
2009 MYTD Thru May 2009 4,178
2009 CYTD Thru May 2009 267

Opel Roadster
2009 MY Net May 0
2009 MYTD Thru May 2009 301
2009 CYTD Thru May 2009 19

GM | General Motors: Investors: Sales Deliveries and Production Schedules: Current Release

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’d rather not say how I know or who I talked to. Just know I work for GM in Detroit and I talked to the right guy. I asked him how many Coupes (and only the Coupes) had been made prior to it’s end of production. He had to check into it, but responded with: 1152.

I didn’t ask about GXP vs. NA, or if GM company cars are considered in the total.

Again, I asked how many Coupes? Answer: 1152

Cortez
Coupe #169

·
Registered
517 Posts
I’d rather not say how I know or who I talked to. Just know I work for GM in Detroit and I talked to the right guy. I asked him how many Coupes (and only the Coupes) had been made prior to it’s end of production. He had to check into it, but responded with: 1152.

I didn’t ask about GXP vs. NA, or if GM company cars are considered in the total.

Again, I asked how many Coupes? Answer: 1152

Cortez
Coupe #169
I understand.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ok - final numbers are not finished yet. Wilmington has three more weeks of production.

The total number of coupes in existence will be somewhere less than about 1300. They are in two distinct groups:

group 1) consists of cars built as "saleable" before the decision is made to ship to commerce. These get used for media evaluations, Captive Test Fleet (where company assigned drivers evaluate these cars for a number of months and report issues), and other usages for company business. The production coupe you saw at an autoshow is a saleable car, so is the Wicked GXP Coupe you saw in Motortrend.

My wife's car is from this batch. There are about 100 or 101 of these cars, built toward the end of the 08 calendar year or so. The VINs for these cars will be in the 104000 to 107000 range (my estimate), and are intermixed with VINs for SKYs, Solstices, and Opel GTs.

Group 2) consists of cars built to fill customer retail orders, and released after there is a decision to ship to commerce. These vehicles started with VIN 9Y000001, as there was a decision to start the VIN sequence at 1 for the Coupes. I think VIN 000002 went to Derek D of Fast Lane Daily.

Pontiac Underground | The Official Blog of Pontiac: Derek D of Fast Lane Daily on the Solstice Coupe Assembly Line

This sequence of cars were built starting in approximately mid-late April.

The schedule at this time, always subject to change, is supposed to be up to VIN 9Y001152.

I am keeping track of this info since my Wife's Wicked Solstice GXP Coupe is looking to be one of less than 1300 cars built for sale. When I find out the final numbers, I will try and post it.

almost 2/3 of the sequential VINs are GXPs/LNF engine when it is all said and done.

Hope you found that helpful. As always, these are approximates and are subject to change, but it is safe to say that less than 1300 cars are currently on the docket for seeing the light of existence.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ok - final numbers are not finished yet. Wilmington has three more weeks of production.

The total number of coupes in existence will be somewhere less than about 1300. They are in two distinct groups:

group 1) consists of cars built as "saleable" before the decision is made to ship to commerce. These get used for media evaluations, Captive Test Fleet (where company assigned drivers evaluate these cars for a number of months and report issues), and other usages for company business. The production coupe you saw at an autoshow is a saleable car, so is the Wicked GXP Coupe you saw in Motortrend.

My wife's car is from this batch. There are about 100 or 101 of these cars, built toward the end of the 08 calendar year or so. The VINs for these cars will be in the 104000 to 107000 range (my estimate), and are intermixed with VINs for SKYs, Solstices, and Opel GTs.

Group 2) consists of cars built to fill customer retail orders, and released after there is a decision to ship to commerce. These vehicles started with VIN 9Y000001, as there was a decision to start the VIN sequence at 1 for the Coupes. I think VIN 000002 went to Derek D of Fast Lane Daily.

Pontiac Underground | The Official Blog of Pontiac: Derek D of Fast Lane Daily on the Solstice Coupe Assembly Line

This sequence of cars were built starting in approximately mid-late April.

The schedule at this time, always subject to change, is supposed to be up to VIN 9Y001152.

I am keeping track of this info since my Wife's Wicked Solstice GXP Coupe is looking to be one of less than 1300 cars built for sale. When I find out the final numbers, I will try and post it.

almost 2/3 of the sequential VINs are GXPs/LNF engine when it is all said and done.

Hope you found that helpful. As always, these are approximates and are subject to change, but it is safe to say that less than 1300 cars are currently on the docket for seeing the light of existence.
Group 2 only includes coupes ordered by an end customer, right? Isn't there a 3rd group? The ones ordered by dealers for retail stock. Or did those get put in the sequential VINs?

If so, I'm very lucky: 000100

Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Group 2 only includes coupes ordered by an end customer, right? Isn't there a 3rd group? The ones ordered by dealers for retail stock. Or did those get put in the sequential VINs?

If so, I'm very lucky: 000100

Thanks.
No, there is no distinction between a customer order and a dealer stock order. They are all considered Retail orders. Technically, a dealer "owns" the car first, even ordered cars, THEN they sell it to you. If a dealer really wants to be poopy, they can decide not to sell you a car you ordered.

I think that technically, they can even change their mind on GMS pricing at the last minute. Happened with Lotus Elises and even a Corvette or two, and Vipers in years past, and probably a Solstice or two during the post-first-1000 cars.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
No, there is no distinction between a customer order and a dealer stock order. They are all considered Retail orders. Technically, a dealer "owns" the car first, even ordered cars, THEN they sell it to you. If a dealer really wants to be poopy, they can decide not to sell you a car you ordered.

I think that technically, they can even change their mind on GMS pricing at the last minute. Happened with Lotus Elises and even a Corvette or two, and Vipers in years past, and probably a Solstice or two during the post-first-1000 cars.
Very cool. Thanks for the info.

·
5,641 Posts
Flash's Owner said:
Funny you should post that.

Yesterday, Pontiac finally made the announement to the dealer body that they would be stopping production. They said all 2009 retail production would stop by the end of June 2009.

On the flip side.....

That explains why there are so many 2009 Coupe orders still showing the system as accepted by production control but unbuilt.

Think I will go with your post and theories vs. the Pontiac message.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts