Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Funny you should post that.

Yesterday, Pontiac finally made the announement to the dealer body that they would be stopping production. They said all 2009 retail production would stop by the end of June 2009.

On the flip side.....

That explains why there are so many 2009 Coupe orders still showing the system as accepted by production control but unbuilt.

Think I will go with your post and theories vs. the Pontiac message.
Well, my information is over a week old, since I have been on vacation (in Denver) for the last week. Nobody is currently in the plant, which is no big secret since they already announced shutdowns for Wilmington starting June 15, starting (as of last week) back up on July 13.

But then up until June 1, there was going to be a 2010 model year, too.

I posted this back on June 3:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/keep-faith-52979/#post856118

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Funny you should post that.

Yesterday, Pontiac finally made the announement to the dealer body that they would be stopping production. They said all 2009 retail production would stop by the end of June 2009.

On the flip side.....

That explains why there are so many 2009 Coupe orders still showing the system as accepted by production control but unbuilt.

Think I will go with your post and theories vs. the Pontiac message.
The plot thickens....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought I read here that last solstice was completed on or around the 12th, and that the closure of the factory at the end of the month, on the 27th.

Are they opening the Wilmington factory backup? on July 13th?

Kevin

Well, my information is over a week old, since I have been on vacation (in Denver) for the last week. Nobody is currently in the plant, which is no big secret since they already announced shutdowns for Wilmington starting June 15, starting (as of last week) back up on July 13.

But then up until June 1, there was going to be a 2010 model year, too.

I posted this back on June 3:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/keep-faith-52979/#post856118

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is all I could find......

GM officials said the plant is scheduled to cease operations at the end of July. Workers on Monday will begin a furlough, originally planned for June 15 through July 13. After July 13, they'll return to shut down the plant. Raut said dealers are no longer taking orders for the Solstice, Sky and Opel GT.

Kevin

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok - final numbers are not finished yet. Wilmington has three more weeks of production.

The total number of coupes in existence will be somewhere less than about 1300. They are in two distinct groups:

group 1) consists of cars built as "saleable" before the decision is made to ship to commerce. These get used for media evaluations, Captive Test Fleet (where company assigned drivers evaluate these cars for a number of months and report issues), and other usages for company business. The production coupe you saw at an autoshow is a saleable car, so is the Wicked GXP Coupe you saw in Motortrend.

My wife's car is from this batch. There are about 100 or 101 of these cars, built toward the end of the 08 calendar year or so. The VINs for these cars will be in the 104000 to 107000 range (my estimate), and are intermixed with VINs for SKYs, Solstices, and Opel GTs.

Group 2) consists of cars built to fill customer retail orders, and released after there is a decision to ship to commerce. These vehicles started with VIN 9Y000001, as there was a decision to start the VIN sequence at 1 for the Coupes. I think VIN 000002 went to Derek D of Fast Lane Daily.

Pontiac Underground | The Official Blog of Pontiac: Derek D of Fast Lane Daily on the Solstice Coupe Assembly Line

This sequence of cars were built starting in approximately mid-late April.

The schedule at this time, always subject to change, is supposed to be up to VIN 9Y001152.

I am keeping track of this info since my Wife's Wicked Solstice GXP Coupe is looking to be one of less than 1300 cars built for sale. When I find out the final numbers, I will try and post it.

almost 2/3 of the sequential VINs are GXPs/LNF engine when it is all said and done.

Hope you found that helpful. As always, these are approximates and are subject to change, but it is safe to say that less than 1300 cars are currently on the docket for seeing the light of existence.
Great info! How much can you find out about the 2010 Solstice GXP Coupe Heritage Edition (Blue w/ white stripe) that was part of the display at MECCA? Thanks to some very helpful people I hear it's going to the musuem. Breaks my heart since I wanted that one!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
So I'm confused about the total number of coupes built. Someone posted the number 1152. Which I ass-u-me :) to mean that 1152 sequentially numbered VIN coupes would be built.

However, someone else also posted saying they had bought a pre-sequential number VIN coupe. So again, do we have a number for the total number of coupes built?

As as side note, when I went to a dealership several weeks ago and viewed a non-sequential numbered coupe (with a hand written note displayed on top of it saying it was a 2010) I told the salesman it couldn't be a 2010 because they hadn't started building them yet. He looked at a book, admitted it wasn't 2010 and said the car was not intended for public sale. Since then others have posted saying pre-sequential VIN coupes can be sold to the public.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,449 Posts
What GM has published:

What I wrote originally: For What It's Worth, given that the plant is currently shut down, and it's highly unlikely that it will ever produce another car, sales of solstices and skys were up for the second straight month:

Edit July 4: According to Flash's Owner, and GMlinedog, the plant will reopen on July 13, in order to build out 2009's ordered cars. Expect it to be another 300 coupes or so.

For the month of June:

Solstice Sales = 939
Sol production = 140

Sky Sales = 435
Sky Production = 0

According to a couple of different reports here on the Solsticeforum, Opel GT and Saturn Sky production has been completed, and Pontiac Solstice production is finished as of June 12.

Here are the total production numbers I have calculated since day 1 of production back in 2005:

Opel GT: 7,517
Saturn Sky: 34,227
Pontiac Solstice: 64,543

GM also published that the following 2010 models have been produced during CY2009 (these are not included in the above numbers):
Opel GT: 2
Saturn Sky: 8
Pontiac Solstice: 20

I will update these numbers next month if any of them change.

R.I.P. kappa cars

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,449 Posts
Is there any way to find out how many Cool 2007 GXPs were built? I would like to know how many of my brothers and sisters are out there.
Someone, somewhere, knows the answer to your question.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't even know where to start in finding out!

·
Registered
334 Posts
So I'm confused about the total number of coupes built. Someone posted the number 1152. Which I ass-u-me :) to mean that 1152 sequentially numbered VIN coupes would be built.

However, someone else also posted saying they had bought a pre-sequential number VIN coupe. So again, do we have a number for the total number of coupes built?

As as side note, when I went to a dealership several weeks ago and viewed a non-sequential numbered coupe (with a hand written note displayed on top of it saying it was a 2010) I told the salesman it couldn't be a 2010 because they hadn't started building them yet. He looked at a book, admitted it wasn't 2010 and said the car was not intended for public sale. Since then others have posted saying pre-sequential VIN coupes can be sold to the public.
LowLife, it is not so hard:

A batch of coupes were made before the decision to ship to fill retail orders. This is the batch my wife's car came from, and they are in the 2009 VIN range of 104000 - 106000. About 101 of these were made.

These were used for media, internal testing, captured test fleet usage, etc., and those not damaged or used to modify were made available to purchase through GM's company-used system. A few may be auctioned off, even.

Then they decided the car was ready to ship, sometime in the spring of 2009. They decided to start numbering the coupes at 000001, and are scheduled to approximately 001152.

In between this, they also built some 2010 cars, before the plant was chosen to be one that will be closed. I assume these cars will never be sold, but I really have no idea how they will handle these cars.

DaveOC - the plant is still scheduled to come up on July 13 and finish out, closing finally on July 31.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, hello everyone! I just bought Coupe number 702 yesterday in Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I guess it is #302 based on last 3 digits on VIN, right?) LOL!!!! SO excited! She is a 5-spd. non-GXP in Mysterious! Also, got GM's 72-month financing at 0% APR!!! WOO HOO!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have found up to #880 invoiced - these are consumer production units, some numbers are skipped, like Fast Lane Daily's host Derek DeAngelis. If he got 000002 it was not invoiced for consumer production. Like Flashe's Owner said there are others that are not sequentially numbered that were used for testing. I saw a Mean one at the car show VIN 9y107186; she was the first one I met in person. I will post our Sly Girl when proper photos are taken. I can say, we love her very much.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I have the gxp coupe vin# 000444 in meanie yellow. is there any way to find out how many were made in this color that are gxp coupes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
So is there any idea of numbers or percent and colors. I would think the Yellow and Orange were the lowest #s, But that is a guess.

Id love to be able to see the numbers.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I just took delivery of number 816 on Monday in Rochester, NY. Aggressive red, chrome wheels, std. engine, automatic, A/C & upgraded stereo. Best of all is that I got the dealer Inventory Closeout incentive pricing!

Anyone know where you can get some thin padded trim to put on the inside side edges of the roof? I've bumped my head twice when turning to look out the window, and if I ever got T-boned the impact would crack my head open. If they're going to bring the roof down that low I can't believe they didn't pad it. The low visibility also takes some getting used to!
Larry

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Anyone know where you can get some thin padded trim to put on the inside side edges of the roof? I've bumped my head twice when turning to look out the window, and if I ever got T-boned the impact would crack my head open. If they're going to bring the roof down that low I can't believe they didn't pad it. The low visibility also takes some getting used to!
Larry
Make sure you seat is lowered it might help with the head bumping and the visibility issue. The switch is on the front left side.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts