Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know squat about production, but it seems to me that an efficient production line would PAINT several (many?) cars the same color and then switch to another. Clean-up and other items needed to change colors for each car would/could slow down production.

OK, here is the Biggie----What will be the first color off the line of the OneK cars?

Then the second question, will Pontiac (GM) batch process colors during this period?

I know, dumb questions--Sorry

Take care-Steve

:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
All I can answer of your Q is that #1 is MY red (agressive).

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's how Lotus did it with the Elise. But that's also a car they only make about 4000 a year of.

I believe GM has automated paint assembly lines actually. It's not like a person is in there painting. Parts come through on a system and get painted by a robot/robotic arm. Paint selection and self cleaning are probably all handled by the system too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
at the Ford truck plant , the system is all robotic and it changes colour on the fly ....each truck is a different colour

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

Now do we need a poll or a POOL for the color of #1 of 1K?

Take care-Steve

:grouphug:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
You would think they'd have some process to batch up like cars but someone said long time ago it was like Subway, they make each one to order. Might work in lower volume but batching in "runs" would make sense at higher volumes.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I know that when the Corvette plant sprays the Millenium Yellow they have to do some special work to clean and change paint, etc... that's why that color option is $750 when none of the others are extra.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Mass Production vs. Lean Production

mceb said:
You would think they'd have some process to batch up like cars but someone said long time ago it was like Subway, they make each one to order. Might work in lower volume but batching in "runs" would make sense at higher volumes.

The current production philosophy is to "build to order".. why? because it cuts your inventory. In the case of painting it's a lot cheaper to throw away some paint as opposed to stacking up car parts (big $$ there!). In addition, if say the robot had a glitch which was discovered after say 10 bodies were painted (requiring them all to be repainted) it wouldn't take long to pay for the cost of that "lost" paint and cleanup. It's all part of "just in time". :leaving:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts