Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another busy time with all the new production scheduling posts. Perhaps time to put out some info.

Production Start
It appears from the scheduling posts I have been reading that Pontiac will now be starting the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Solstices the week of July 18th. While the 2006 production schedule document has not been updated since April 7th. A start date later then May 31st would go along with recent press reports and Lori Queen's blog posts. Dealers are due their next Solstice infomation update next week. GM takes a two week shut down in the summer, so July 18th would be their back to work date.

Production "Date"
The info you are getting from your dealers is being misunderstood as far as production date. I have seen posts saying "my car will be built July 18th". Actually what GM does is assign a "Target Production Week" or "TPW" . The two key words are: "Target" and "Week" . "Target" is just what it sounds like, as is "Week' . A TPW of July 18th would include July 18-19-20-21-22. So you can loose a week of time just waiting for production to happen.

Shipping
It can be form 1 to several days before an order is shipped from a plant. We can expect the Solstice will be checked over well before they finally ship. So it may even take longer then GM's currently produced cars.

In Transit
Right now there is no shipping experience for us to base estimates of Solstice delivery time. Several weeks ago, I threw out a question to see if there where any Saturn dealers on the site that could give us a feel for the "L"-series shipping time. Do not recall any answers. For example the last 3 Grand Prixs shipped to us from Oshawa Ontario Canada, were expected to take 9 days to get here. They took as long as 18 days as short as 13 days. A Vibe coming across country is an expected 20 days. The GM system dosen't think of a car as late until it is 10 days overdue.

Expected Arrival Date
When the GM system assigns a TPW it will also so on some of the reports an Expected Arrival Date this is a supposed to be based on preprogramed time estimates for the various steps and adjusted based on reality. As stated above there isn't much reality at the moment, so don't be concerned with this date.

Expiration of Transit Time
This is an important date. This expected date will be on the vehicle invoice the dealer will get after the car is built. This is much more reliable then the Expected Arrival Date because it is the date the dealer will start paying floor plan interest on the car. Again this date will not be available until after the car is built and after it is invoiced (billed) to the dealer.

Hope everyone will keep these things in mind as the dates start flying fast and furious from your dealers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice post and thanks for the info.

Luckily I am about 2 hours from the plant so shipping should be quick
once it is loaded on a truck and ready to go. I Hope!!!!!!!!!

But then theirs Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yes, thanks Small Dealer. My past experience in ordering cars is that the production date is as you said, the week of production. With mine listed as July 18th I am just hoping they can hold that. Makes delivery by the end of summer look a little more promising! :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Thanks alot for taking the time to explain all this... and for all of the informative posts you put up here.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Small Dealer said:
GM takes a two week shut down in the summer, so July 18th would be their back to work date.
This is complete crap! They all get to take a two week vacation BEFORE working on the cars?! How stupid is that, when there are 8000+ people waiting for this thing for so long?

It's like ordering your meal at a restaurant and you see the cook/chef place your plate of food in the window. Then you see your waitress gossiping with another waitress for a couple minutes and then walks right by your plate to go to the bathroom, THEN she comes out to walk by it again and gossip some more before bringing it to you.

It's like "f**king hello!? The food is right there b**ch and I'm hungry!"

I hope this is not true. I say nobody should get any kind of time off until AT LEAST the first 1000 are done. Its coming up on crunch time, the GM plant should be like a sweatshop until these guys crank the cars out that have already been paid for, IMO.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
dori-san said:
...and then walks right by your plate to go to the bathroom, THEN she comes out to walk by it again and gossip some more before bringing it to you....
But at least she spent 5 minutes in there, washing her hands. :grouphug:

·
Registered
139 Posts
dori-san said:
This is complete crap! They all get to take a two week vacation BEFORE working on the cars?! How stupid is that, when there are 8000+ people waiting for this thing for so long?

It's like ordering your meal at a restaurant and you see the cook/chef place your plate of food in the window. Then you see your waitress gossiping with another waitress for a couple minutes and then walks right by your plate to go to the bathroom, THEN she comes out to walk by it again and gossip some more before bringing it to you.

I hope this is not true. I say nobody should get any kind of time off until AT LEAST the first 1000 are done. Its coming up on crunch time, the GM plant should be like a sweatshop until these guys crank the cars out that have already been paid for, IMO.
if youre being serious, then youre an idiot. stop talking.

·
Registered
72 Posts
godspeed06 said:
while i disagree with both the tone and the content of the post i'll defend his right to have and voice an opinion... i deal with customers that want to vent frustrations. i'm always puzzled why people become so emotional and animated over inanimate objects? usually the venting is due to a lack of communication and or good information. my thanks to small dealer for the informed post

i ordered my car on april 30 and my dealer said to expect a delivery as late as march. i said cool and i only have to pay msrp? i'd rather a diminished expectation than being overly anxious. i think my dealer understood that. i'd rather have my order perfect than it be rushed. i'm not concerned that i'm not a first 1000 or first allocation. in line changes aren't unusual in any production line and are always an improvement. i know from experience that cutting edge can be bleeding edge.

can someone on this forum that bought a ficht engine from evinrude/johnson explain to the uninformed what economic consequences arise from improper rushes to production???

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hmm, well another month in a half isn't so bad, I think the original impatience has subsided at least for me. More time to gather more money :)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
i ordered my car on april 30 and my dealer said to expect a delivery as late as march.
Wow!! And I thought I was being patient! Must be he's sold his first quarter's allotment and most of his second.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
godspeed06 said:
Of course I'm not serious about the sweatshop comment, but think about it...

"Ok guys, we've got this hot new car about to come out and everybody wants one! But before we make any lets all take two weeks and go on vacation! (Half these suckers have already paid anyway, muhahaha!!)"

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know how this is usually handled in America but in Germany the vacations of the factory workers are something that is known for a long time. On the other hand you can't just tell all those workers to skip their hoildays just to correct the errors of the management.

If they told you that they'll bring you this car in summer and do not, then you can complain about it. Of course I think better having a good car later then a bad one in time.

Whatever it is not the fault of the workers. Ever thought about the possibility that this "production starts 18th july" thing is not the whole truth???

Image you have a car that has problems. Imagine your engineers say, they need time to solve it. Imagine this deadline would be july 17th (sunday so bad example, but I know you got my point).

What would you say to the public:

A) "Hey folks, we've got a problem and we'll need another 2 month to fix it."

B) "Due to the vacation-period this summer the production starts..."

OK, I think this is a bit too pronounced but you know what I mean. They'll be glad about every single day to fix the remaining problems.
And maybe they wouldn't make it 2 weeks earlier (the engineers).

·
Registered
139 Posts
first of all, most of the guys that work at these plants havent had it really easy lately. most are probably fearing for their jobs, or even worse their entire plant. working on an assembly line is not exactly the most sought after job to begin with and i think these guys all deserve two weeks off in the summer. i doubt they give a flying f*** whether or not you get your car two weeks earlier. GM is not going to change the shut down schedule just bc a few babies are crying about their cars not arriving before the temp drops below 80. i dont know how the dealers put up with people like you. they are made of tougher stuff than me i suppose. i know i couldnt handle talking with people like you every day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dori-san said:

ACTUALLY... Wilmington is not taking the two week shutdown this year. Production will run if the plant is running:)
and you know what? This is a corporate shutdown - workers have no say about working or not working- the plants shut down completely- like it or not!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can you imagine the police depts taking thier vacations a the same time. Bad anaolgy but I think the anaolgy is good. I hope you can appreciate my humor.The Ghost.

·
Registered
118 Posts
dori-san said:

IMO.

But the important question is "Did she wash her hands?" :)

·
497 Posts
I recall in another post that this is the annual plant shutdown every July, and if so, I would not expect it to change because of a new vehicle launch, delayed or otherwise.

The idea of starting Solstice production following downtime reminds of the notion of different car quality depending on the day of the week. If Wilmington does shutdown this year, from a quality perspective, I view starting production after everyone is back from vacation and refreshed is a positive. Besides, in the big picture two weeks is not very long.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
godspeed06 said:
first of all, most of the guys that work at these plants havent had it really easy lately. most are probably fearing for their jobs, or even worse their entire plant. working on an assembly line is not exactly the most sought after job to begin with and i think these guys all deserve two weeks off in the summer. i doubt they give a flying f*** whether or not you get your car two weeks earlier. GM is not going to change the shut down schedule just bc a few babies are crying about their cars not arriving before the temp drops below 80. i dont know how the dealers put up with people like you. they are made of tougher stuff than me i suppose. i know i couldnt handle talking with people like you every day.

Its not that the temperature goes below 80. Its more the fact that as soon as we get our car, it will be going immediately into storage for ~6 months before it can really even hit the road.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts