Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site has come along way since its start. Its good to see new users popping up everyday. I think we all need to give a big welcome to everyone that comes along, there is power in numbers.
There are some very knowledgable (not me my spelling sucks) and insitefull members here already and it can only get better. (if we can control that spam)
I hope the site contiues to grow and mature and become a place for Solstice enthusists to ask, learn, explore and eventually bitch about our cars. I've been a member of a fiat site mirafiori.com since I bought my car a few years back and Its been a tremendous help for me and many others, I certainly hope the powers that be here will continue to help and build a similar commuity that will keep on growing and maturing.

:cheers and keep up the great work everyone!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
ambient said:
This site has come along way since its start. Its good to see new users popping up everyday. I think we all need to give a big welcome to everyone that comes along, there is power in numbers.
There are some very knowledgable (not me my spelling sucks) and insitefull members here already and it can only get better. (if we can control that spam)
I hope the site contiues to grow and mature and become a place for Solstice enthusists to ask, learn, explore and eventually bitch about our cars. I've been a member of a fiat site mirafiori.com since I bought my car a few years back and Its been a tremendous help for me and many others, I certainly hope the powers that be here will continue to help and build a similar commuity that will keep on growing and maturing.

:cheers and keep up the great work everyone!
:thumbs Your right on! This site has been great so far and is getting better!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm amazed at the level of knowledge the members are bringing to the site. I wonder how many mechanical and other engineers we have on board.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
me :D I beleive solsticeman admitted to being one too.

Anyone have the weight and dimensions of the ION Red Line/Cobalt flywheel? I've got some pretty numbers/graphs once I can find this information that I built for the lotus crowd that can be used here too.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My background is in QA/QC. I did a fair amout of time working in Al. applications in the auto industry in the 90's. I spent a fair amout of time in some of Fords stamping plants and running QC tests on material that was sent to them. For the most part stamping press operators were not fond of aluminum in their presses. I guess it was a "changes in their cages" sort of thing, but in their defense the two materials (Steel vs Al.) do behave differently in a stamping press. Al. forms a bit differently than does steel and requires a little more prep. time than does steel.(at least this was the case back then)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It is a great site! Now if we can just get some Pontiac insiders to kick us some knowledge and maybe a few spy photos we'd be golden!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
me :D I beleive solsticeman admitted to being one too...
I did?

I know I admitted to being a geek, but...

oh heck... who am I kiddin'!

Guilty as charged. :thumbs

Mechanical right now, but I have a vary wide background. I did an electrical eng cognate study (a few classes shy of a minor) so I can hold my own - electrical engineering is just water flow with some magical field stuff thrown in for interest anyways, right?

Also did some plant tooling a decade ago.

But I guess that's all I got to say 'bout that. :cheers

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
AeroDave said:
It is a great site! Now if we can just get some Pontiac insiders to kick us some knowledge and maybe a few spy photos we'd be golden!
2nd that :smile
Not a "real" engineer here but software engineer (computer geek)...or manager of computer geeks I should say :leaving

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm amazed at how popular the site has become with still over a year until release. About 450 members now... should we expect a big growth in members after the next round of auto shows? Or are the people who are most interested in the Soltice already regulars on the site?

Also, to Troy, with the release of the Solstice, can we expect a full-blown Solstice website?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
With so little new information to talk about, sometimes I feel like I'm setting at Mr. Drucker's Cracker Barrel talking 'bout the weather! "Feed Me!"

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
AeroDave said:
You don't want Pontiac insiders. At GM, Pontiac is just the marketing arm. They can tell you all you want to know about what they want to be delivered (Solstice will kick miata butt, get 48 MPG, out-corner an elise... they are the guys who put together the "grain of salt" claims)

What really gets delivered depends on how well it is engineered and executed. You want insiders to the development and engineering process - they know the real scoop because they are the ones actually executing the marching orders. You want insiders that are either engineers or executives. :thumbs

And what makes you think there aren't insiders already lurking around this site? But don't ever expect one of them to give you spy photos - unless they want to stop becoming "insiders" and find them selves "re-deployed". :cool

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
I'm amazed at the level of knowledge the members are bringing to the site. I wonder how many mechanical and other engineers we have on board.
Very good observation! I am certainly no engineer, but I love the informations are mechanically knowledgeable people have provided!

We definately need some engineering insiders to drop a few hints!! :thumbs I doubt we will see that. Those guys would be out the door pretty quick if they gave up secret information. But it would still be nice!

Come on you GM lurkers! Feed us some news!!! :cheers

·
Registered
284 Posts
naoki said:
Also, to Troy, with the release of the Solstice, can we expect a full-blown Solstice website?
Yes. I'll definitely be adding more things to the site. I expect to keep it primarilly a community site and not a magazine type site though.

What types of things would you like to see me add to the site?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
You don't want Pontiac insiders. At GM, Pontiac is just the marketing arm. They can tell you all you want to know about what they want to be delivered (Solstice will kick miata butt, get 48 MPG, out-corner an elise... they are the guys who put together the "grain of salt" claims)

What really gets delivered depends on how well it is engineered and executed. You want insiders to the development and engineering process - they know the real scoop because they are the ones actually executing the marching orders. You want insiders that are either engineers or executives. :thumbs

And what makes you think there aren't insiders already lurking around this site? But don't ever expect one of them to give you spy photos - unless they want to stop becoming "insiders" and find them selves "re-deployed". :cool
That's what I ment. Engineering types, not PR. I was only kidding, I know damb well they're not going reveal any good info to us without official approval. However, since we are the first, obviously dedicated fans, we should be privliged to be the first place that Pontiac does release new info. We should know first, and then the media.

There I go again dreaming, but maybe if they treated groups like us with special insider status, they might really create a hardcore independent group of fanatics that could go out and sell their cars better than the magazines. Make this car a cult phenomenon rather than just another release. I know I'm a little ahead of my self, who knows, maybe the car's a piece of crap... but I doubt it. Anyhow dreaming is free.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
..I wonder how many mechanical and other engineers we have on board...
brentil said:
me :D I beleive solsticeman admitted to being one too...

I think Padgett is one too!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Troy Roberts said:
Yes. I'll definitely be adding more things to the site. I expect to keep it primarilly a community site and not a magazine type site though.

It's tough to say exactly what to add, it's YOUR website. I was only suggesting it within this thread because the thread is about looking to the past to our current level of progression, and I was looking towards the future.

For this forum to continue to be "on top" in terms of Solstice information and the sheer number of members, personally I believe some sort of anchor site beyond the forums will be essential (but probably not until we are much closer to release).

I guess if you brought up Yahoo!s directory of car models and looked that the "most popular" site for a certain car, I would *assume* they would have some content beyond the forum. I've seen very basic sites that had very properious message boards, but I've also seen sprawling sites for just one car with membership registries, their own stores (that pretty much link to manufacturers who make mods for the car in question), the occassional "editorial", photos from meetups, how-to's for car maintence or modification, links to news articles, etc etc. Yes, all this can be done within a forum, but sometimes presentation matters. You can always ask us for help with actual content.

Again, its your website, not mine. I just want to see it continue to be THE source for all-things Solstice.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Troy Roberts said:

Troy: This question might be a good topic for discussion in its own thread. Though it is obviously way too early now, I want to see a test drive forum. We've got a great cross sectional membership here and it would be interesting to read about everyone's "first drive" driving impressions.
I also would like a fault and fix forum so that older owners can report issues and what Pontiac does in response to them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Naoki, I would imagine that the model Troy will be following, at least as a template, is www.corvetteforum.com which is a very popular site, and has a lot of the extras similar to what you have noticed in many sites. I am sure its hard to really build off the forum at this point with the cars still being a year away. There are no vendors, or meets, or people with cars to branch out with yet. I don't mean to imply he is following covetteforum as an exact template, nor do I intend to put words in his mouth. I would just think since he has had success going that route, I would assume he would take solsticeforum down the same road!

PS, its good to see another WNY'er on the forum! Even if you are from Ra-cha-cha! :jester

1 - 20 of 28 Posts