Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so you have a wheel with a clear coat finish on it like the standard Solstice and you want to properly maintain it. Do you care for it just like you would the rest of the cars paint? Now, the problem with this is that every time you wash your care you will probably be removing the polish/wax, because most wheel cleaners are either acidic or alkaline. This means that you would have to rewax every time that you clean the wheels. That seems a bit rediculous. Also, if you use a brush will that leave scratches in the finish?

I guess that this thread can also be for wheel care of other types such as polished aluminum.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wax painted/coated wheels just like the rest of the car. I also do not use any wheel cleaners. Just the same soap and water I use on the rest of the car. With the wheels waxed, the brake dust comes right off of them. I have no problems with this route.

I dislike the spray on solutions, as I believe they accelerate the corrosion of the aluminim under the clearcoat (on brushed aluminum wheels). Also, since I can get them perfectly clean by washing with regular soap water after waxing them, it seems uneccesary to use additional spray on chemicals.

·
Registered
114 Posts
P21S for the wheels - and nothing else, if you don't want to risk damaging the finish. it's not cheap, but you don't use that much.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Please help me out. What is P21S? I would love to find a good way toclean my S80 Volvo wheels. Someone give me some good pointers please. The brake design on this car leaves them dirty the next day after I have cleaned them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts