Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Solstice a couple of days ago from a local dealer. Everything at MSLP. He added in a "Protector Plus" dealer option, costs $150 (can). They brand the car parts in several places and put a sticker on the window to deter theft. If my car is stolen I get up to $2500 to cover the insurance deductible for damage or $4000 if car not recovered.
He says they do this on ALL their new vehicles and I have no choice. I don't want to have my car swiped however I don't want a crappy sticker on the window either. Anybody have any experience or comments on Protector Plus?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That sounds kinda cool. Do they etch your VIN in the glass too?
Best thing to do is just ask if you can remove the sticker from the window and still get the coverage. If you can jsut take a razor and remove it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd find out exactly what it includes. I really don't see how the dealer can force anyone to buy it if they don't really want to. I also would suspect its overpriced, since that is the nature of dealer add-ons.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
If it's $150 (Can) for glass etching that's actually fairly cheap for a dealer doing it.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The fly in the ointment would be to find out the VIN is already hidden all over the car in the major components. Glass etching is offered sometimes around here simply for a donation to the local pd who does the job. The only thing this program seems to do is be able to identify the small parts of the car AFTER its been chopped. Better to spend $9.95 on fake stickers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My Olds has serial #s etched on all the glass already from the factory. I can't remember if it is the VIN # or not. but I do remember seeing them once and being suprised.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Could be a scam, that's why they say they do it on all new cars and that you don't have a choice.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
achieftain said:
Could be a scam, that's why they say they do it on all new cars and that you don't have a choice.

Sort of like they used to do with undercoating for a another $300 taked on.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
You should not be forced to have this done. It is like forcing you to get the "protection coverage" on a hard drive you buy at Comp USA. Or like saying "you have no choice, we put our dealership plaques on EVERY car we sell".

You could go to another dealer. Or you could threaten to go to another dealer. I'm certain that you are dealing with a dealer coercion issue - this is not required by law anywhere, and you don't HAVE to accept it.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
PAS22 said:
Sort of like they used to do with undercoating for a another $300 taked on.
Except wit hthe undercoating you don't need you actually get, and then it causes rust problems it was meant to protect. Useful product back before they found that they could actually paint galvanized steel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts