Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m very happy to be the new owner of #293 (Cool Silver / Manual Transmission / Non-Turbo) Targa Coupe. It has some rarities that I haven’t been able to determine if it’s OEM or aftermarket and a possible factory defect? Here’s my story…

I’ve been looking for a Solstice close to home for months now. I was leaning towards GXP for obvious reasons but wouldn’t settle for automatic tranny. I’m not a big fan of convertibles but I loved the Solstice so much, I was willing to own one regardless. The rarity of the coupes made it a pipe dream so the search continued for GXP. I scoured every online source daily. At work, we have a few older people that haven’t embraced technology. They have flip phones and buy the local paper for news. While I was heating up lunch, I saw the classifieds and picked it up to kill a few mins and there it was… 2009 Solstice Coupe with manual transmission!!! I texted the provided number and the owner called me back. We chatted for a while and I made arrangements to see the car. To my amazement, it was only 32 miles away.

In my excitement, I neglected to even ask the color so it was all a surprise to me when he opened the garage and I saw it for the first time. Cool silver Coupe with the optional soft top included. It was beyond perfect. The car had never seen rain & the engine compartment was spotless, 27k on the odometer & It was also signed by Jim Wangers, The GeeTO Tiger man himself when it was sold to this owner at Barrett Jackson.

It has 2 unique options I never saw on any other Solstice. It has Pontiac Indian Head “Ghost” decals on both doors. Very subtle and can only be seen at certain angles along with embroidered Indian heads on both seats, front & back. These aren’t seat covers, the Indian heads are stitched into the seats themselves. I was in love & a week later the car was in my driveway.

I found out after the deal was struck that he too frowned on technology and didn’t list the car nationally. He said it will sell local or it will remain his so I was just that lucky!

Does anyone know if the Indian head additions are aftermarket or OEM? Also, once the car was home I noticed the passenger side GM emblem was upside down! Since the car was never in a collision & it’s even with drivers side, I can only assume that was placed that was when it was built??

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Congrats on buying a nice coupe, I also enjoyed reading your story. As far as the Indian graphics go, I'm going w/1st owner personalized. The updown GM chicklet (or pimple) may have been a bored final assembly worker.

I noticed your coupe is not listed on the coupe registry, you may want to add it to this thread:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f114/coupe-registry-4-4-2016-a-125657/

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I would love to see pictures of those details Hellspawn. The first time I tried to buy my Cool coupe it was in a collection and only had 500 klm on it. I bought it a few yrs later from the guy who outbid me. Last week I managed to find a soft top for it!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I'll place this car on the coupe registry. I have all the information except your location. Welcome to the couper club. Enjoy your new ride. Have many miles of smiles.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Congratulations sir, stay around and you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about the coupe. I am pretty sure some of these guys sleep with theirs!!!. Get us some pictures, most of us can't read but we can see pictures if they are big!!!!

Oh and Welcome!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the registry add! The car was originally purchased in New England but was sold quickly and has spent most of its life in Oklahoma

Here are some pics of my baby and the unusual badging. She also has a tail "TC" badge that I also couldn't find on any other coupe.

http://i.imgur.com/8RVbAwi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NUYMtNg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XfeeBEA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/afV4h7e.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6bZhWji.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6woc4zE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Cql5PXS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eogLusQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MU8znu8.jpg

I'm most interested in knowing what's OEM and what's aftermarket

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Someone had a lot of fun personalizing their vehicle. Many mods which could have been done by a dealer but probably an individual. You will always know which is your car. Enjoy many miles of smiles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nice looking Coupe Hellspawn. I have one pretty close to what yours looks like but its a GXP. I have the chrome wheels on mine. I held out until I found a manual GXP Coupe. I wanted nothing else but that.

As some of these Forum members have said this forum will provide you with all the info and ideas to make your coupe into whatever you like.

This will be my 4th summer driving mine. I bought mine from the original owner who lived in Pensacola, Florida. I was looking for a 5 speed GXP coupe. I bought it with 10,000 miles on it. I currently have 21,000 miles. Every winter I put it away and perform a significant upgrade on it. The ideas come from this forum.

1st year I added 1) the "Holy Trinity" - Venom Brace, Pro Beam, and Backbone brace to improve the handling;2) front & rear fender black splash guards; & 3) the

2nd year I replaced 1) the multi-disc CD player with a UUI factory head unit that had an USB port so it's compatible with my iPod & I Phone; 2) replaced the air filter with a K&N free flowing element; and 3) the stowable soft top

3rd year I replaced 1) the stock frt & rear rotors with drilled & slotted rotors with performance pads; 2) replaced the strock door sills with LED lit sill plates from Penn Industries; and an Opel shorty antenna and all weather Solstice floor mats

This spring I am upgrading the 6 stock Monsoon grade speakers to Infinity brand speakers and the subwoofer an 8" Kicker subwoofer.

As I said I came up with all these upgrades based on reading stuff in the forum.

Lar Bear on the "North Coast"
#159 "Cool" Solstice Manual GXP Coupe.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
What looks personalized;
1. Indian seats & exterior door panels graphics
2. Painted engine cover
3. The piping from the airbox to the engine is modified
4. The airbox numbering plaque
5. The interior numbering plaque above shifter
6. Adding the TC to Solstice
7. Changed the 2.4 single exhaust to a 2.0 dual exhaust and dual exhaust valance

I do not remember ever seeing those mods on here before so I'm thinking the first owner didn't post to this forum.

How to say this, the length of Indian's nose on the exterior door panel looks rather long, so if it's possible I'd have that altered to better fit the ethnicity of the culture.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
How to say this, the length of Indian's nose on the exterior door panel looks rather long, so if it's possible I'd have that altered to better fit the ethnicity of the culture.
There's always SOMEONE who thinks a nose job is needed !!!! LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to make some mods myself but I'm not sure where to start. I thought about cold air intake but then I'd lose the numbered plate. I've done some research on suspension upgrades but I'm hesitant cause most of the coil over upgrades carry a degree of "lowering" to them. The stock sound system will prob be my first upgrade since it's completely stock and doesn't do the car justice. I've found several 2.4 turbo kits in varying degrees of horsepower so that will be hard to pass on. I'll be spending a lot of time you're looking at everyone's rides to see what direction to go!

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Loose the beak as fast as humanly possible. The idea is good, but the quality of it lacks in my opinion.

Good looking car and some different mods for sure. Just can not get over how out of proportion the nose is to the logo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Loose the beak as fast as humanly possible. The idea is good, but the quality of it lacks in my opinion.

Good looking car and some different mods for sure. Just can not get over how out of proportion the nose is to the logo.

I got a looney toons vibe when I first saw them. Now that I know it's not OEM option, they will most likely be removed. I'll need to find something to replace them.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I would think the real Pontiac head shot would work. I think it is a great idea, but better graphics and a fade out.

I reread my comment and it came out much more negative than I intended it. Certainly did not mean to offend. Like I said the idea is good, just a better job was needed.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
The correct pontiac indian head image looks like this:

The image on the doors and the seats, I don't know where they got one with a schnoz like that, very cartoonish.

The label an the intake and in front of the gearship is just something that someone made up, they were not delivered with the car from the factory.

The TC on the rear of the car looks to be identical with the T and the C in the Solstice badge.

The piece between the throttle body and the air cleaner is not stock, and looks fairly amateurish, it doesn't even have a smooth bend going into the throttle body.

The engine cover has been painted, not stock. Jim Wangers? I have found one reference on the internet to a Solstice GXP Coupe, Silver, that was owned by Jim Wangers. No details, just a single reference in an Autoweek article: Who killed Pontiac? Ask Bob Lutz | Autoweek

Have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No offence taken or perceived. I reached out specifically because I’ve never seen these mods on other cars and I struck out on Google as well. You guys confirmed what I thought quickly and voiced what I was thinking… That’s a hella big honker!

I will see what I can line up as a replacement but I’m not expecting to find anything worth it. I would rather invest money on some sweet performance upgrades then modified vinyl!

As for the Jim Wangers signature, He was at Barrett Jackson when coupe was sold (It wasn’t his) and he signed the cover. Or so I was told :smile2:

What I find most interesting is I hadn’t realized the exhaust & valance wasn’t stock till ChopTop mentioned it. I checked and it’s still single exhaust but it feeds into sideways mounted muffler with the duel outputs. Curious…

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
The dual outlet exhaust and matching valence are standard GXP parts and swap with the NA pieces with no issues. It is one of the mods that is pretty standard.

It produces a bit more growl than the standard NA exhaust.

:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts