Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, stupid question of the day... here's the scenario.

I'm looking to pull the driver's airbag to remove the silver trim pieces, so I can repaint them when I'm off during the holidays and car's in storage.

If I leave the airbag off for several months and car stays charged, will I need a Tech 2 reset when I plug the airbag back in?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I'll go ahead and pull it.

PS: I got an error posting just "Thanks" saying it's less than 10 chars, but your message is definitely shorter lol.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
PS: I got an error posting just "Thanks" saying it's less than 10 chars, but your message is definitely shorter lol.
There are seven spaces between the "No" and the "."

Neat trick, I would have thought the forum would compress those spaces even more than it did.

Learn something new every day!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Stupid question 2...

Would pulling fuses 24 and 13 be an alternative to disconnecting the battery? Based on this diagram, seems like those are the only two voltages going to the bag and modules.

I know @rob the elder said pulling the battery isn't really necessary in one post, though. If anything I found out to do what I want, I don't even need to disconnect it, just need to unlatch it from the steering and keep the wires.

EDIT: second diagram seems to say 19 as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
I was nervous about it until my GM World class tech told me that the airbag system is designed to be maintained by high school dropouts and very safe. I've done it several times. Both bags. But you will feel safer if you pull the power. Just pull the battery cable, remove the bag and reconnect the battery

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
high school dropouts
So are they admitting that's who they're hiring at dealers? Yet they can't seem to engineer an ignition where high school girls will hang bowling balls from the keyring.

:lol:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success! End up not pulling the battery (I also like to live my life dangerously...), and bags not unplugged either.

For some reason the right spring is trickier than the left, bag didn't want to re-sit into the right pin. Left one unlatch and latch much easier.

Just 2 Torx screws under it, and now I have my holiday project.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised about that paint peeling. I have a spare set of covers that I got to paint. I could NOT get that factory silver paint off. Tried the over cleaner, acetone, etc. Nothing. Ended up just sanding.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I'm surprised about that paint peeling. I have a spare set of covers that I got to paint. I could NOT get that factory silver paint off. Tried the over cleaner, acetone, etc. Nothing. Ended up just sanding.
Yeah, mine's scratching off like a scratch card lol. The plastic under it looks really shiny, doesn't look like a surface for paint to adhere to.

Thinking about matching the silver to the A-pillar and tulip. Somehow I find this gray doesn't coordinate with the rest of the car, not even the radio and I/P's gray.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
May actually be plating. The engineers might have foreseen that the amount of "touch" those things would be subjected to would cause the paint to wear through.

Still can't hang a bowling ball off of the keychain, however. :grin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts